What's new

Pleiss Traded to Philly!!!

As for Kanter, I remember many arguing that Utah should have kept him and matched a max offer because it would be great value and an EASILY tradeable contract. Umm, right...

DL absolutely did the right thing. Even if Utah gets nothing out of the picks.

Either the Jazz get nothing for Kanter...Or they get something for him.
It's my understanding that you are arguing for nothing being better than something. He was leaving in the off season. The Jazz didn't want him, he didn't want to be here. I can't fathom how some people still wish the Jazz had received nothing instead of what they got.

I don't really care what happened with Kanter. I would have just tried to keep options open a bit. At that time it would be unclear if any team would have wanted to do a S&T (I'm not talking about getting back major value here) and it's really not clear to know what other teams may have offered. Sure, we always assume that every avenue had been exhausted but we really have no idea. The odds of landing anything decent in an offseason move aren't likely high, but it's not like the empty cheeseburger wrappers that OKC offered us was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm also not saying this from a hindsight perspective. Obviously in hindsight it doesn't matter because in either case he's gone and in either case what we got in return is the equivalent to a sack of stiff pancakes. It's hard to say that two teams valued him enough for a max deal but not enough to dangle anything more than rights to players from the Crestview 2nd Ward.

Which brings me to my bigger overarching point that we're setting a bit of a precedent where player complains to the media about wanting a trade and we run out there to acquiesce and get $0.50 on the dollar. The next time we may find ourselves in such a situation, the more the player knows it will be rewarded to speak publicly and other teams know that we've demonstrated we'll take anything in return for disgruntled talent and will low-ball appropriately. I believe the garbage we got in that deal was negligible enough that we could have just thrown our hands in the air, said **** it, and cut our losses in the summer with him walking. It's hard to know what will happen with that OKC pick, which could be a good thing. But it could also turn into two second round picks, like the two second round picks we just traded, ironically, to offload Pleiss' salary.

The trade was a risk DL had to take.. no guarantee Bolomboy would still be available with the 55th pick.

Had he not needed the money and really liked Bolomboy, he would have just taken him, no?

Stickler time: Bolomboy was taken with the 52nd pick. We got the 55th pick from Brooklyn and took Marcus Paige.

You know it is late summer when dumping Tibor generates 12 pages of discussion.

If the Jazz were paid 3 million to swap late second round picks with Brooklyn, did the Jazz just give up 6 million worth of assets to move Tibor?

Are we approaching the point that it would have been better to just Enes Golem walk for nothing? That OKC pick better be a home run.

Just woke up to this... sorry but it's definitely the case of egg on the face for DL .. he traded for Pleiss, went and see him in Europe, brought him over to the States, signed him up to a long term contract, he barely played in the NBA, and now we have to pay to get rid of him.

It's OK though if this is his only miss-step amongst all of the good things DL has done... (drafting Gobert, Hood, Lyles, getting Quin Snyder, trading for Hill, getting Joe Johnson, changing our culture).

It's a blemish for sure on his resume, but he's still wayyy better than 80% of all the GMs in the league.

Hey, don't forget Jerrett was also part of the deal. He sure was a great talent. The Kanter trade was a lose-lose for both teams. OKC had to do something to try to improve the team and convince Durant to stay. Durant left and now they're stuck with a big they don't want because of his porous defense. Utah wasted a #3 pick and hopefully gets a future first, but maybe two 2nds.

It looks like we're going to get a 1st round pick in the early- to mid-20s out of the Kanter trade. What do y'all think of our recent draft record in that range?

I wish Tibor the best. Hopefully he can put together a career something like Kosta Koufos. I am a Pleiss fan and hope he gets a chance to play in the NBA for a while.

And hopefully they are stockpiling cap space to go after a real superstar in the next year or 2. Push us into tier #1 and become true contenders.

Because so many superstars want to say, "I'm taking my talents to Salt Lake." Jazz will NEVER lure a superstar. Guys like Boozer and Okur are the best we can hope for. Or maybe a trade for an all-star like we got in Hornacek. Perhaps trade Hood's potential along with a 1st for someone already at all-star level. Maybe Utah decides to do the same with Lyles.

Not that I'm advocating either move. I'm just saying those are the only type available that might net an all-star...short of a major surprise like dealing Favs or Gobert.

It looks like we're going to get a 1st round pick in the early- to mid-20s out of the Kanter trade. What do y'all think of our recent draft record in that range?

What year will that pick come? I'm lost in the conversation.

I think we have players who could be or are fringe all-stars at all 5 positions. And a very deep bench. I advocate rolling the dice to see how it plays out.

Hey, don't forget Jerrett was also part of the deal. He sure was a great talent. The Kanter trade was a lose-lose for both teams. OKC had to do something to try to improve the team and convince Durant to stay. Durant left and now they're stuck with a big they don't want because of his porous defense. Utah wasted a #3 pick and hopefully gets a future first, but maybe two 2nds.

Also how does the Kanter trade factor into OKC trading Serge Ibaka, I hadn't really read anything about the trade and never visited the OKC boards or anything at all, heck just life has kept me from keeping up with the Jazz as much as I usually do. But when I heard that trade on draft day my 2nd or 3rd thought was I wonder if Kanter's contract played any role in the trade or if it was strictly Ibaka and OKC just no longer being happy together or a fit for each other.

^let me clarify.

I think there are legit stars in the top 10... But project it fairly weak thereafter.

So that sounded obvious.
What I mean is I think the top 10 are above average and thereafter below average... averaging things out overall.

I freaking love in that draft;

Kevin Knox
Michael Porter
Deandre Ayton
Mo Bamba (7'8 wingspan)

And then a drop off to about 5 others I like a lot.