What's new

Poll: BYU Football 2013 edition goes...

What will BYU's record be at the end of the season?

• Total voters
OK, I can't account for the refs, so I won't comment on that.

But why oh why do you keep talking about the weather? Are you implying that Virginia didn't have to put up with the same exact weather, therefore it was an unfair advantage to Virginia?
I just don't get it. Why are you talking about something that affected both teams?

This.

Ill never understand the "weather" complaints made in football. It's a wash. Both teams have to play in it. Whether you're a running or passing team. It always becomes harder to play in the elements. Anyone else try to block somebody in the snow? You slip and fall on your face. Make a tackle on a shifty RB? Good luck. Pass the ball? Catch it? Snap? Scrape? Kick? I played every single position in football except for QB and kicker. And everything becomes harder in the elements. No one team was favored by the rain yesterday. Evidenced by Virginia's 13 punts. BYU's QB play sucked, evidenced by a sub .300 QB rating.

Lets just call it the way it is. The O line sucks, the WRs aren't athletic, and Riley Nelson sucks at QB.

It's the same team as last year: great defense horrible offense

Pointing out a missed call is a slippery slope. How about the missed call on BYU's first TD drive? The big play on that drive came as Hill released a pass as he crossed the line of scrimmage. I rewound it several times and it was most certainly an illegal forward pass. More times than not, those missed calls work both ways.

That O-line is bad. Real bad. Losing to Virginia is a huge red flag. That is not a good football team. Texas is going to roll in Provo.

I agree about them missing that call.... I thought the same thing.

There are differences in the degree a missed call effects the game though.

Maybe if they get the call on taysom byu still get the td. (The way byus offense played probably not) worst case byu punts into the end zone and puts virginia on the 20.

But the bad call on the punt against byu we KNOW for fact that if they don't blow that call, virginia gets the ball deep in thier own territory and they were not ever able to move the ball against byus defense all day (ncaa record most punts in a game by virginia... no plays over 20 yards all game.... 6 out of 20 on 3rd down)

Instead they get a blocked punt and get the ball deep in the red zone.

Biggest play of the entire game came due to a horrible call by the refs.

This.

Ill never understand the "weather" complaints made in football. It's a wash. Both teams have to play in it. Whether you're a running or passing team. It always becomes harder to play in the elements. Anyone else try to block somebody in the snow? You slip and fall on your face. Make a tackle on a shifty RB? Good luck. Pass the ball? Catch it? Snap? Scrape? Kick? I played every single position in football except for QB and kicker. And everything becomes harder in the elements. No one team was favored by the rain yesterday. Evidenced by Virginia's 13 punts. BYU's QB play sucked, evidenced by a sub .300 QB rating.

Lets just call it the way it is. The O line sucks, the WRs aren't athletic, and Riley Nelson sucks at QB.

It's the same team as last year: great defense horrible offense

Like I said though...... if byu was playing alabama tomorrow I would much rather play against them in a monsoon.

In perfect weather I know that byu has no chance in hell.

In a monsoon they can at least hope that the weather screws with bama more than byu.

Bad weather is good for the underdog cause it gives them more of a chance for the game to be UNPREDICTABLE

Underdogs are underdogs because people are predicting the game to go a certain way.....
Therefore the more unpredictable a game is, the better for the underdog team.

Underdogs are underdogs because people are predicting the game to go a certain way.....
Therefore the more unpredictable a game is, the better for the underdog team.

Didn't the underdog Utes beat Alabama in a dome? I think you are reaching a bit here. BYU lost because they struggled offensively and they turned the ball over, it happens. Look at all the "upsets" that happened this week... not all of them were caused because of unpredictability. Sometimes, they were caused because the underdog just happened to play a better football game than their opponent.

Who knows? Maybe the underdog Cougars beat Texas next week? It could easily happen; however, if your QB's completion percentage is below a baseball batting average, it probably will not.

love how many ute fans are interested in byu's game/season. especially considering they are the ones always calling for abandoning the rivalry for good. lol.

love how many ute fans are interested in byu's game/season. especially considering they are the ones always calling for abandoning the rivalry for good. lol.

I love it when BYU fans who post aplenty in Utah threads get all butt hurt when Utah fans return the favor. News flash: We post in each other's threads. I didn't realize being a fan of one of the teams stopped you from having an opinion about the other.

haha... ugli takes any small victory he can get

That's a small victory??

Pretty sure it's the most devastating blow either team has sent the other. Ever.

We're saying that we're bigger than you, and you're begging us to still play you.

You're our bitch.

£¥£ Retiring at 20,000 £¥£

Didn't the underdog Utes beat Alabama in a dome? I think you are reaching a bit here. BYU lost because they struggled offensively and they turned the ball over, it happens. Look at all the "upsets" that happened this week... not all of them were caused because of unpredictability. Sometimes, they were caused because the underdog just happened to play a better football game than their opponent.

Who knows? Maybe the underdog Cougars beat Texas next week? It could easily happen; however, if your QB's completion percentage is below a baseball batting average, it probably will not.

Of course upsets happen sometimes because the underdogs outplay favorites.

My point was weather can effect a game and it doesn't always effect each team in the same way.... weather is unpredictable.
The weather can change throughout the game and be worse when one team has the ball than when the other team does.

Weather is a variable and it is not neccessarily equal, fair, or exactly the same to each team.

If the utes are playing oregon would they rather play oregon in a dome and get ran out the building..... or would you rather play them in a soggy, muddy, rainy situation?

I think the utes would have a better chance against oregon in an ugly *** crappy weather game than in a dome.

Its my opinion that weather CAN help a team beat another team.... that doesn't mean it ALWAYS does.

If you don't think weather can help one team while hurting another then I understand that opinion and understand why you have that opinion.

I just don't share that opinion

Scootsy... why are you a poster over at Utefans.net? Hypocritical much?

Scootsy is the consummate Devil's advocate. And he likes getting a rise out of people.

He is maximum win.

Also, weather was as bad as it gets.... there was like a 3 hour delay..... and to me the biggest play of the game was when byu punted and virginia was going to have the ball on thier own 20 or something.
But there was a penalty saying that unga was lined up in the backfield and byu would have to re-do the punt.
They didn't show a replay of the penalty so I rewound it to see it for my self.
He was not lined up in the backfield and on the re-do punt he was in the same damn spot on the line and no penalty was called.

Punter miss-handles the snap (due to a wet *** ball) and the punt is blocked and virginia takes over deep in the red zone.

One of the worst thing about being independent is that in every game the refs are from the opponents conference
They said repeatedly in the broadcast that those were Big 12 refs. Is Virginia in the big 12? I don't think so.

Well it's become almost a no win situation for one team with the other team having almost nothing to lose. Also I figured I'd watch BYU's season. I'm done now their season is effectively over.

They said repeatedly in the broadcast that those were Big 12 refs. Is Virginia in the big 12? I don't think so.

My bad.
Thanks for the correction

10 teams ran 88 or more plays last weekend.

7 lost.

Tempo is over-rated. Whether you are fast or slow, if you can't get first downs and TD's, then you just plain suck.

My bad.
Thanks for the correction

Just an observation. The refs really did not have a built in bias. Unless BYU were such ******** while dealing with the Big 12 they told their refs to screw them over. :)
Admittedly I did not watch more than the last quarter of the game. So did not see the officiating.