What's new

Pop's Brilliance

billyshelby

This is General NBA, I know. But maybe it's Jazz related insofar as it shows that Ty, as a rookie, was really in a tough spot trying to outcoach Pop.

In our series, Pop scouted out our convoluted flex cuts, overdefended them to stall our offense, and then let his own offense slice and dice us (as he knew it would.) By the time Ty scrapped a lot of the flex cuts, it was too late, and we never had a chance anyway.

Against the Clips, he's doing the same thing. But his tactic now is to repeatedly send defenders to pressure Paul on the inbounds passes after made buckets. I've seen Parker, Green, and occasionally Leonard do it so far. It's totally taking the Clips out of their rhythm, they're starting their offense later, and the increase in panic shots is noticeable.

They'll easily win the title this year, with OKC being the only team causing them problems.
The East is a joke if Derrick Rose is injured. Hell, I'd bet that if they get past OKC, they can sweep the Eastern conference team.

Not really. It shows we never had a chance, but they're so good that I only get more depressed since the Clips would have handled us 4-2 at best, probably 4-1.

Tell you one thing I'm depressed about today - Hibbert gets to work out with Duncan and apparently learnt a lot from him. Why can't we have Favors worked out with Dwight or somebody like that?

Leonard was a great find.
'

He was. I never thought he would ever shoot 37 from 3 in the NBA. But the second the Spurs made the Hill deal to get him, I felt snookered. His defense and rebounding translated as everyone thought it would, but his ability to plug in and shoot 3's blows my mind. He's going to be cheap and awesome for them for years to come just like Green. The Spurs are so smart.

Tell you one thing I'm depressed about today - Hibbert gets to work out with Duncan and apparently learnt a lot from him. Why can't we have Favors worked out with Dwight or somebody like that?

I'm sure Favors has worked out with some good pros.

I remember Burks was working out with Chauncey Billups this past summer.

A lot of it depends on players sharing agents, who set up the workouts, or on hometown/college connections.

'

He was. I never thought he would ever shoot 37 from 3 in the NBA. But the second the Spurs made the Hill deal to get him, I felt snookered. His defense and rebounding translated as everyone thought it would, but his ability to plug in and shoot 3's blows my mind. He's going to be cheap and awesome for them for years to come just like Green. The Spurs are so smart.

Can you imagine Hayward & Leonard as our backcourt? Firing away 3's and playing dogged bball.

I'm sure Favors has worked out with some good pros.

I remember Burks was working out with Chauncey Billups this past summer.

But apparently Duncan/Hibbert are best buddies now, texting each other after every game. He's also teaching him the mental side of things, work ethics, etc.

The more I watch Parker, the more I think we should get Lillard.

Slicing and dicing in the lane, hitting floaters, jumpers, making the occasional pass to 3pt shooters as he drives to the basket.

Leonard was a great find.

It wasn't a find, he fell into their lap and they are still laughing about it. But don't rub it in, me and Horny are still sore about that.

By the way, Pops and the Spurs brilliance is that when they get a rookie they play him. They put players in position to be successful within the system, rather than trying to make the player change his skill set to fit the system. I love that they produce marvelous role players, but are never locked into them so they can let let a Jackson or Speedy Claxson leave for a big contract or trade away George Hill and they just plug in another young player and keep going. Brilliant.

Can you imagine Hayward & Leonard as our backcourt? Firing away 3's and playing dogged bball.

Call me a homer, but I think Burks has the higher ceiling. Burks has the potential to develop into a much more prolific scorer than Leonard (in an offense we currently don't run). I'd still take Burks over Leonard, but I might change my mind depending on how the next few years go.

But apparently Duncan/Hibbert are best buddies now, texting each other after every game. He's also teaching him the mental side of things, work ethics, etc.

During our series with the Spurs, a reporter told Favors that a certain player thought that Favors played like him. The clip started just a tad too late to hear who it was, but I thought it was Duncan saying that Favors played like him and that he liked his game. I would love Favors to buddy up with Duncan. I've gotten a lot more respect for Duncan's game particularly on the defensive end, and he's such a smart player. He's an absolute winner.
https://www.nba.com/jazz/video/originals/
It's on page 2.

Call me a homer, but I think Burks has the higher ceiling. Burks has the potential to develop into a much more prolific scorer than Leonard (in an offense we currently don't run). I'd still take Burks over Leonard, but I might change my mind depending on how the next few years go.

Higher ceiling for sure. If he was playing on a team like OKC and let him make players & score, he can be great.

In a structured offense like ours, I question whether he would ever fulfill his potential.