What's new

Positive thread about Exum's injury

Chris

Like many of you, I have gone through all of the stages of grief over the past few days since hearing about Dante's injury. Listening to the usual Jazz-related podcasts has reinforced the idea that this hurt is being felt by many in Jazz Nation. In trying to look for something positive to get us through this, I realized that there really was no positive take on this situation out there. So, I got to creating one. Here are some reasons for us not to be depressed about this injury:

1. ACL surgery and recovery is light years ahead of where it used to be. There was a time where if a player tore his ACL, it was almost assumed that he'd never be the same again. Not only is that not usually the case anymore (as I'll discuss later), the process is more successful, scientific, and predictable than it ever has been.

2. The Jazz are still going to be really, really good. While the team will most certainly miss the young Aussie, the rest of their team is still intact [knock on wood] and is actually better than they were for much of last year. Hayward made strides last season. Hood was a Draft Day steal and is much better now than at this time last year. Rudy Gobert is a beast and might just be an All-Star within two years. Favors certainly improved in '14-'15 and will likely continue to do so. Burks is back and is not dealing with an injury that has nagged him since coming into the League.

3. The list of athletes who have come back from ACL surgery and actually gotten better is impressive. Consider this list of NBA players who came back from this injury:

Al Jefferson
David West
Baron Davis (before even coming to the NBA)
Kyle Lowry (before even coming to the NBA)
Ron Harper
Sean Elliot (before even coming to the NBA)
Mark Price
Al Harrington

And NFL players:

Tom Brady
Adrian Peterson
Rob Gronkowski
Darrelle Revis
Jamaal Charles
Wes Welker
Carson Palmer
Philip Rivers
Jerry Rice
Logan Mankins
Von Miller
Eric Berry
Frank Gore
Edgerrin James
Donovan McNabb

And that's just ACL (or MCL too). It's not other major injuries like microfracture, tendons, etc that have their own success stories. While there are certainly players who have never returned to form, at least we know there's a good list of those who have, and that it's a distinct possibility in this modern age of medicine. And you can bet that Dante will be well cared for, if the Jazz organization has anything to say about it.

4. We'll have plenty to watch without having to focus on Dante's notable absence. Tibor Pleiss, Trey Lyles, Bryce Cotton, and Raul Neto will be fun to watch develop this season. Furthermore, we (and the rest of the NBA) will have an entire season of seeing, once and for all, whether Trey Burke has what it takes to rise to the challenge of being a capable floor general. I can't imagine that we will have any doubt whether Burke has it after an entire season (in his third season, mind you) of running the point in a starting role. No matter what he does, we should have a definitive answer about Trey Burke going forward. If a trade is on the horizon after this season (depending on how his backups do and whether or not Trey is replaceable by committee), it may increase Burke's trade value and net us something decent in return.

5. Dante could be ready to return in time for a playoff run. I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, but the recovery time from ACL surgery, from what I understand, could be around 8 months. That would be a few weeks before the playoffs begin, assuming Exum has his surgery now and recovers within a reasonable period of time. Seeing as how the Jazz organization tends to be risk averse, especially with someone as important to the franchise's future as Dante is, I doubt they would risk it for the sake of a playoff run with limited upside (this season). But, hey -- the possibility's still there. So you're tellin' me there's a chance...

6. Bryce Cotton and Raul Neto will get some important minutes. Obviously, we'd rather have Exum on the floor and their minutes be limited, but that's not happening. At least we get to really see what these guys can do, in a backup role to Trey Burke. Both PGs give different looks and it will be interesting to see how Quin uses their skill sets.

7. Exum didn't contribute much offensively last season. While he certainly did contribute on defense -- and the Jazz were much better with him on the floor -- we won't miss his scoring from last season. Having Burks back alone will do wonders to increase our scoring capability. Of course, we were hoping to see Exum's PPG go up significantly this year, but I'm sure the Jazz can pick up the scoring slack without him this one season... Which leads me to my next point.

8. The Jazz will circle the proverbial wagons and rally around this. One thing that the Jazz have already instilled in this group is that they are a TEAM. This is not some hodgepodge Land-Of-Misfit-Toys, as some of our teams have been over the last 10 years. You saw them stick around this summer. You heard about them working out day in and day out. You saw them support each other at Summer League. This is a good group of players and a good group of young men, who are growing together and truly care about working on their individual games. They will find a way to get better, even though they are down one of their premier players.

9. We still have Quin Snyder. If we had Ty Corbin, we'd be in deep trouble. But we don't. We have one of the best up-and-coming coaches in the league and he will work around not having Dante on the floor. Quin also has a great staff, let's not forget. At the end of the day, our coach might be our greatest asset -- especially this season.

10. Dante will be ready to go by the time we're ready to make a deep playoff run in '16-'17. The cake will continue to bake, even though one of the key ingredients won't be added until just before it's served. I think we can all agree that Exum's physical development this year will be arrested, but the other players will continue to progress. He'll be watching film all year. He'll be at almost all of their games and practices, and will be getting tutored by Quin all season long. He just turned 20, he's already got the fundamentals, and his basketball IQ will continue to increase. Once Dante's in decent enough shape to lift, he will -- and he will become even stronger. When he's fully recovered, he'll be relentlessly hitting the court. And then he'll return.

Last edited:
Great post.

Once he is completely healed and back into his normal game he will be fine from a mental standpoint. Ask anyone who has had knee surgery(I've had four) and they will tell you that at first there is concern but once you are a ways into your recovery and back doing something you've done your whole life that mental block goes away.

Here are some reasons for us not to be depressed about this injury:
1. ACL surgery and recovery is light years ahead of where it used to be.
2. The Jazz are still going to be really, really good.
3. The list of athletes who have come back from ACL surgery and actually gotten better is impressive.
4. We'll have plenty to watch without having to focus on Dante's notable absence.
5. Dante could be ready to return in time for a playoff run.
6. Bryce Cotton and Raul Neto will get some important minutes.
7. Exum didn't contribute much offensively last season.
8. The Jazz will circle the proverbial wagons and rally around this.
9. We still have Quin Snyder.
10. Dante will be ready to go by the time we're ready to make a deep playoff run in '16-'17.

Chris, nice job, you're a regular Pollyanna. Agree with most all of your points... noting that discussion of our starting PG was not part of the 'think happy thoughts' thread... So how can we find fault, I'm fine with this brew your serving...

But what about the white elephant in the room? Should we work to replace our 2015/2016 starting PG?

Let me add 11. With Dante out for 2015/2016, we can go out and get a decent starting PG and not worry about slowing the kid's development?

I'll let you add a full, well written paragraph here for #11...

Here's another question (that might be a positive effect from this injury), won't he get more time to work on the mechanics of his shooting?

I'm honestly asking.

Chris, nice job, you're a regular Pollyanna. Agree with most all of your points... noting that discussion of our starting PG was not part of the 'think happy thoughts' thread... So how can we find fault, I'm fine with this brew your serving...

But what about the white elephant in the room? Should we work to replace our 2015/2016 starting PG?

11. With Dante out for 2015/2016, we can go out and get a decent starting PG and not worry about slowing the kid's development? If this is the route the Jazz choose to go, then Exum won't feel a thing. The Jazz could pick up a few more wins with a reliable veteran and could either trade him away next year for assets (assuming it's not a 1-yr deal), or move on after a 1-yr deal, having essentially rented him for the season. Though there doesn't appear to be anyone of substance on the free agent PG market. Luke Ridnour maybe? (He'll love changing teams again.)

Unfortunately, I could only do that one half-heartedly because I don't believe it's the right move. I think Burke, Cotton, and Neto's development is more important than perhaps winning a couple more games this season. Personally, I'd like to see what we have with our 18 PGs.

Have the Jazz even confirmed that it is an ACL tear?

A set back for him and our team but I think the Jazz have enough improvement and Burks returning and that will still have them in the playoffs.

Only positive thing about the situation is that he's not dead. I admire your guys' positivity but nothing good can come from a torn acl

Only positive thing about the situation is that he's not dead. I admire your guys' positivity but nothing good can come from a torn acl

It is never a "good" thing but it may not be a "bad" thing team wise. Especially if this team makes the playoffs this year and then Exum comes back the following year and the Jazz have 2-3 1st rounders in 2017 already. That makes players like Gobert and Hayward much more likely to sign with the Jazz again and only lengthens our contender years.

Unfortunately, I could only do that one half-heartedly because I don't believe it's the right move. I think Burke, Cotton, and Neto's development is more important than perhaps winning a couple more games this season. Personally, I'd like to see what we have with our 18 PGs.

So, you're saying it was a half-baked effort? But thanks for trying...

Not my point though... don't need a veteran, don't need couple more wins or even a better 1st round playoff showing...

We were NOT going to try and get another/better PG, because it would take minutes away from Dante's development. Hate to say, but Dante probably needs ZERO minutes in 2015/2016. We sadly don't have that consideration in the 'bake it' equation...

Doctor in today's Trib says recovery time is actually 6 months, not 8 from a torn ACL. As a practical matter for getting on the floor in an NBA game it probably does not matter, but gives him more time to be ready for next year.

His injury is surely not a good thing, but at least it is not looking like quite the doom and gloom I first felt.

Good thread.

I would add one more possible positive to your list....... we might end up saving allot of money on dante's next contract which would help us keep the core intact

**-

Doctor in today's Trib says recovery time is actually 6 months, not 8 from a torn ACL. As a practical matter for getting on the floor in an NBA game it probably does not matter, but gives him more time to be ready for next year.

His injury is surely not a good thing, but at least it is not looking like quite the doom and gloom I first felt.

It possibly can be, if it is ACL only. Chris Harris of the Broncos tore his ACL in January, had surgery in February, and was ready some time in training camp at the end of July and playing by the start of regular season. I doubt that the Jazz let him return that quickly though, even if he is ready. Say he has surgery mid August (1 week). 6 months puts him at Feb 15. He would need a few weeks go get back into shape, and possibly be ready in March. That gives him a month to play before postseason. That is very aggressive, and I think the Jazz take the conservative route with him and don't allow him to return that soon.

Wasn't an ACL, but a season ending injury to Drew Bledsoe led to Tom Brady's opportunity and an eventual Super Bowl. Just saying.

Get ready Raul "Tom Terrific" Neto!

Wasn't an ACL, but a season ending injury to Drew Bledsoe led to Tom Brady's opportunity and an eventual Super Bowl. Just saying.
Two different players, two different sports. Your argument is flawed. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk