What's new

(Possible Headline) Donovan Mitchell signs w/ NY Knicks?!!

Dame has definitively questions staying with Portland. He has met with the FO to ask about their future after some trades he didnt like a couple years ago. Dame has even mentioned other teams he would play for if he wasnt with Portland.

I think there is a better chance Mitchell stays here long term than Rudy.

Mitchell is a very smart player and understands marketing and winning. As long as the FO keeps our team competitive he will stay here. He can become a face of a franchise and get a statue here. His brand is selling very well and doesnt need to be in a bigger market for that. The NBA is becoming world wide and its broadcast everywhere now. The city you live in and its size matters less and less. Mitchell has nothing to gain by going to a big market except a better chance at winning. If we are competitive than there is nothing for him.

Mitchell might leave. But he is here 5 more years at least. At least wait until its somewhat close to that to even start giving into your insecurities and fears.
During the same time Dame was meeting with management he was liking tweets on twitter saying things like “If Dame ever leaves Portland, it won’t be by his own choice” I thought when he met with management it was headed towards the same thing but it became clear he just wanted to know managements plan forward. Dame has never questioned the uniform he’d wear. And the tweet you’re referring to where he said he’d play for the Lakers or Jazz was prefaced by “If Portland didn’t want me”.....that’s the kind of commitment it takes to not just be another star player who jumps ship at the first sign of frustration. Instead of demanding a trade he met with the FO to see what the plan forward was. I respect Dame more than any other NBA star. He’s committed himself to Portland and the Blazers franchise and holds himself most accountable for the franchises success, and he means what he says, he’s not PRing it. Dames made the playoffs, missed them, been through highs and lows and rode it all out.

Also I agree with what you’re saying about Mitchell, but for the most part it’s been a pretty nice ride for the first 2 years in the NBA, what happens when things get bumpy for a minute? Contracts simply don’t mean much when a trade demand comes up. Also I don’t know why you think Donovan has more chance than Rudy? So long as Rudy stays healthy and remains as good as he is he’ll get the supermax offer or slightly less and sign it IMO. I think after the next 2 seasons things could get a little bumpy for a few years, but let’s win a title in the mean time!

During the same time Dame was meeting with management he was liking tweets on twitter saying things like “If Dame ever leaves Portland, it won’t be by his own choice” I thought when he met with management it was headed towards the same thing but it became clear he just wanted to know managements plan forward. Dame has never questioned the uniform he’d wear. And the tweet you’re referring to where he said he’d play for the Lakers or Jazz was prefaced by “If Portland didn’t want me”.....that’s the kind of commitment it takes to not just be another star player who jumps ship at the first sign of frustration. Instead of demanding a trade he met with the FO to see what the plan forward was. I respect Dame more than any other NBA star. He’s committed himself to Portland and the Blazers franchise and holds himself most accountable for the franchises success, and he means what he says, he’s not PRing it. Dames made the playoffs, missed them, been through highs and lows and rode it all out.

Also I agree with what you’re saying about Mitchell, but for the most part it’s been a pretty nice ride for the first 2 years in the NBA, what happens when things get bumpy for a minute? Contracts simply don’t mean much when a trade demand comes up. Also I don’t know why you think Donovan has more chance than Rudy? So long as Rudy stays healthy and remains as good as he is he’ll get the supermax offer or slightly less and sign it IMO. I think after the next 2 seasons things could get a little bumpy for a few years, but let’s win a title in the mean time!

It sounds like you just really like Dame and are a little biased towards him.

Rudy just seems to care about the spot light and living the big life. He likes fancy cars, houses, clubs, and all of that. I dont think either is leaving anytime soon. I also think there is a decent chance Lillard leaves after this contract. Very few good players leave during their rookie contracts. Very few leave before their second contract is up, and if they do its the last year they ask for a trade. After that is when players tend to leave. But with the super max I think more players stick it out. That is why Lillard stayed. The amount of money was a huge huge huge difference. But that contract is going to hurt the team and I think they slowly drop off more and struggle to be competitive. When money is more equal I think he will look else where for a better chance to actually win it all, since Portland is unlikely to have that anytime soon.

Rudy just seems to care about the spot light and living the big life. He likes fancy cars, houses, clubs, and all of that. I dont think either is leaving anytime soon. I also think there is a decent chance Lillard leaves after this contract. Very few good players leave during their rookie contracts. Very few leave before their second contract is up, and if they do its the last year they ask for a trade. After that is when players tend to leave. But with the super max I think more players stick it out. That is why Lillard stayed. The amount of money was a huge huge huge difference. But that contract is going to hurt the team and I think they slowly drop off more and struggle to be competitive. When money is more equal I think he will look else where for a better chance to actually win it all, since Portland is unlikely to have that anytime soon.
Which to me highlights the importance of building a championship winning roster before or during your star players supermax deal, I'll be just fine if Rudy's or Donovan's contracts keeps us from being competive down the road if they bring us a chip in the meantime.

The amount of support and love Mitchell has given to the Jazz, his teammates, and Utah in general in his first 2 years is wayyyyyyyyy more than Lillard has given to Portland probably in his whole career let alone the first 2 years in Portland. I like Lillard but he's no Mitchell in that regard.

Which to me highlights the importance of building a championship winning roster before or during your star players supermax deal, I'll be just fine if Rudy's or Donovan's contracts keeps us from being competive down the road if they bring us a chip in the meantime.
I think we've done that or are at least close and can make adjustments still to get there. I just don't see how Portland can really improve much. There best move they can make is moving CJ for someone that fits better or taking a big chance on a player like Love.

The amount of support and love Mitchell has given to the Jazz, his teammates, and Utah in general in his first 2 years is wayyyyyyyyy more than Lillard has given to Portland probably in his whole career let alone the first 2 years in Portland. I like Lillard but he's no Mitchell in that regard.
I think some get anxious thinking the higher you climb, the farther you fall.

It’s like on So I Married An Axe Murderer where he says he’s afraid she’ll leave him so he breaks up with her (not that that was his reason but still).

I am a Dame homer, but it’s because I’ve watched who Dame is. Dame doesn’t just say things, he means them. The contract he signed this year gave the rest of his best years to Portland and the Blazers. When Dame was in high school, he played basketball for a under privileged program. The popular/shiny teams started calling his name once they knew he was good. He said no. At Weber state when he started to blow up a bit, scouts tried to get him to leave Weber State for bigger more sexy schools. He wouldn’t do it. When Dame says he isn’t going to sell himself out for a championship he means it, and I really have no doubt about it. He’s loyal to those who are loyal to and believes in him first. Yes, I’m a Dame homer, because Dame and the proof of who he is has been backed by every time he said no to when the sexier option started coming his way after the fact. As for Rudy liking all those things. All young dudes with money like all those things lol.

No he hasn’t. Dame has done plenty in Portland, and lives there full time lol. You just don’t pay attention to it, you’re just closer and feel more connected to what Donovan does. Donovan’s great, amazing in fact, but he’s not the one and only dude who is great to his city. He was literally just up for the NBA community assist award like Donovan was for what he does in Portland’s community. He created a RESPECT program during his rookie year, has had kids basketball camps every single year in Portland, took less than the max on his first major extension, and has been a finalist for the community assist award several times already during his career.

.....but please tell me more about how Dame doesn’t care about Portland enough

https://www.blazersedge.com/2018/12...-assist-award-november-portland-trail-blazers

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...s-career-with-the-portland-trail-blazers.html

https://www.wweek.com/giveguide/201...damian-lillard-has-striven-to-make-an-impact/
Dames the dude that if we could take back time and have hindsight I would move heaven and earth for the Jazz to have drafted.

His response to Shannon Sharpe telling him he’ll never win and just be forgotten for not getting a ring in Portland: “I’ll be a rich forgotten mother f*****”

I like Dames sincere commitment, I like Dames sincere loyalty. It’s admirable considering what the norm is, so yes I stan Dame lol.

Last edited:
No he hasn’t. Dame has done plenty in Portland, and lives there full time lol. You just don’t pay attention to it, you’re just closer and feel more connected to what Donovan does. Donovan’s great, amazing in fact, but he’s not the one and only dude who is great to his city. He was literally just up for the NBA community assist award like Donovan was for what he does in Portland’s community. He created a RESPECT program during his rookie year, has had kids basketball camps every single year in Portland, took less than the max on his first major extension, and has been a finalist for the community assist award several times already during his career.

.....but please tell me more about how Dame doesn’t care about Portland enough

https://www.blazersedge.com/2018/12...-assist-award-november-portland-trail-blazers

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...s-career-with-the-portland-trail-blazers.html

https://www.wweek.com/giveguide/201...damian-lillard-has-striven-to-make-an-impact/
Dames the dude that if we could take back time and have hindsight I would move heaven and earth for the Jazz to have drafted.

His response to Shannon Sharpe telling him he’ll never win and just be forgotten for not getting a ring in Portland: “I’ll be a rich forgotten mother f*****”

I like Dames sincere commitment, I like Dames sincere loyalty. It’s admirable considering what the norm is, so yes I stan Dame lol.

I didnt say he doesn't care about Portland or do a lot. He does plenty, just not to the level Mitchell has.

I lived in Oregon for 3-4 years. I pay attention to plenty of what he does. Probably not to your level.

Either way, back to the point. Your fears are silly at this point. I bet Dame doesn't spend his entire career with Portland. I also guess Mitchell doesn't either. But he's here at least 5 more years. No reason to think, worry, or talk about him leaving.

Maybe bump this in 4/5 years and you can panic then. Maybe there will be an inkling of a reason then to justify those feelings.

I didnt say he doesn't care about Portland or do a lot. He does plenty, just not to the level Mitchell has.

I lived in Oregon for 3-4 years. I pay attention to plenty of what he does. Probably not to your level.

Either way, back to the point. Your fears are silly at this point. I bet Dame doesn't spend his entire career with Portland. I also guess Mitchell doesn't either. But he's here at least 5 more years. No reason to think, worry, or talk about him leaving.

Maybe bump this in 4/5 years and you can panic then. Maybe there will be an inkling of a reason then to justify those feelings.
Donovan has said a lot of nice things about SLC, more than what Dame has said of Portland. But as far as what he’s actually done Dame has done more and it’s not really close, part of that being because he’s been there longer obviously. Donovan going to take a discount next summer on his first max extension like Dame did for Portland? (I’m not saying he should, he shouldn’t he deserves his money). Dame will be in Portland unless it’s the Blazers who decide to move on.

Also this is a fan forum, discussing it here is fine lol.

Last edited: