What's new

Post All-Star Team Defensive Stats

Jazz Spazz

Inconceivable
Staff member
I found some post all-star defensive stats for the Jazz interesting.

Specifically I looked at shooting and saw the following.

Opponents FG%
Less than 5ft
FGM 13.7 FGA 26 FG% 52.7

5-9 ft
FGM 3.7 FGA 10.8 FG% 34.3

10-14 ft
FGM 2.3 FGA 5.4 FG% 42.9

15-19 ft
FGM 4.8 FGA 13.2 FG% 36.8

20-24 ft
FGM 5.7 FGA 17.9 FG% 31.8

25-29 ft
FGM 1.3 FGA 7.3 FG% 17.9

The attempts less than 5 ft is the 3rd lowest in the league, and the % for the Jazz D is lower than the other two with less attemps, which equals less made shots. 13.7 is the lowest made shots at that range in the league.

The 5-9 range they allow the second most in the league, but keep opponents to the 5th lowest %.

The 10-14 range they are below average in the % they allow, but they also are top 5 in fewest FGA in that range.

The 15-19 range the Jazz are below average in both % and attempts allowed.

The 20-24 range the Jazz allow the 8th most attempts, but have the 2nd lowest % allowed

The 25-29 range the Jazz allow the fewest shot attempts, and by far the lowest % by 11 percentage points.

To go along with this, over this stretch the Jazz have held their opponents to the lowest shooting %, the lowest 3pt%, and the second lowest FT%. (How do opponents FT% go down when playing good D?)

Opponents also have the lowest Rebounds per game, Assists per game, and points per game.

While we know Rudy is a beast and has made a huge impact... my question is.

Has Rudy's emergence made it easier for our wings to defend the 3pt line, and has his emergence from good rebounder to absolutely beastly rebounder made that much of a difference in that opposing teams get less rebounds and that many fewer shots a game so we can hold them to the 3rd fewest shot attempts per game?

I say yes.

While our team defense is very good right now, I was deciding if one great defender could make that much of an impact.
I decided that yes he can, as long as the other 4 players on the floor are also trying and have some talent.

It's impressive, and while not all the credit goes to Gobert, the lions share does.
Credit should also be given to Coach T-1000 and his system, as well as the subtraction of Kanter, and the other players on the floor.

We really need an offensive lynch-pin for this team. Favors fades too much, shows fire for a couple games, then just kind of stands in the background for a few, albeit while still playing well on the defensive end. Hayward is streaky. Burke is just awful, what is he like 35% from the field. Yikes. We need someone we can rely on for a solid efficient offensive game.

We really need an offensive lynch-pin for this team. Favors fades too much, shows fire for a couple games, then just kind of stands in the background for a few, albeit while still playing well on the defensive end. Hayward is streaky. Burke is just awful, what is he like 35% from the field. Yikes. We need someone we can rely on for a solid efficient offensive game.

What's promising is that Hood has the ability to create his own shot without the help of others, and Burks is able to do so as well.
I think with both of them being better next year, Burks because of health (hopefully), and Hood being healthy (fingers crossed) and another year under the belt... it looks more promising.

Maybe what I was looking at did not come across in my post though.

The thing that caught my attention was that the Jazz are much better at defending the 3 ball, and that came from having a better interior defense. I found it interesting how much the interior D improvement helped with the ability of the wings to stay home and rotate to keep the long ball in check.

The mid range jumpers are what are allowed most, and historically those are the least efficient shots to take. It could also have a lot to do with the Jazz defensive philosophy to focus on defending at the rim and the 3 and push the shooters to if they have an open look have that open look be a mid range shot. I don't remember past coaches/or our defense doing this, so it makes me happy to see it now and see how effective it can be.

If we can keep what we have going, and increase getting steals by anticipating passing lanes our defense will be suffocating.

There, glad I could bore you all with my musings.