What's new

Potential and Realistic Offseason Moves

Please explain how Middleton is the more interesting option Wes is a better offensive and defensive player and not anywhere near the player he was with us as a rookie. Middleton is not a very motivated player doesn't play with passion or with any kind of edge and doesn't give solid effort on defense. I'd take Carroll over Middleton. I'm not wasting 10million on Middleton.

Middleton is elite defensively according to the advanced metrics and he's like 6th in the entire league in real plus minus. I think you might be a bit off in your assertion about Matthews being better defensively. #Bromance

First of all the Jazz could keep both players but didn't...so it means they were not in the Jazz future plans.
I'm not sure it makes sense to overpay one of them to return to play with Jazz...it would be like admitting the management made a mistake to not relying on them before. Both Wes and Carroll don't have room for improvement.
The only exception is Paul Millsap...he is an All-Star and he is a Jazzman.

I'm not a big fan of Middleton but he is a young emerging player that maybe can still improve.

Anyway I'm not in favour to overpay role players. We need a player that can make the difference offensively.

Middleton is not emerging into anything other then a role player. His ceiling is Wes Matthews at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking back NBAdraft really nailed it on their prospectus for Middleton (for once).

Strengths: Middleton is a late blooming prospect with solid size for a SF at 6’7 210, and he’s still growing into his body…Silky smooth operator on offense, and can score effectively at all 3 levels…Has a sweet jump shot…Soft touch, and is consistent out to about 22 feet and shows raw NBA range…Able to make shots off screens, spotting up or off the dribble…Functional in the triple threat…Likes to operate in the mid-range area, most comfortable from 15-18 feet, and utilizes a nice pull-up game and an interesting blend of runners in his arsenal…Middleton can stick the 3 ball with his feet set, and he has the release speed and form to get his shot off against contests effectively…Plays the game at his own pace, and has a very unique and unorthodox style of play…Very unselfish and won’t go outside of the offense to get his own shots or production very often, which will benefit his eventual transition to the pros…Doesn’t need to dominate the ball at all to make his presence felt on the court…Nice passing skills…Will contribute some on the glass…Appears to be very coachable, and he still has upside remaining as he get stronger and fills out his frame…

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum here but have been reading for a long time. It seems like most people are high on Middleton or Matthews. But what about K.J. McDaniels? I haven't heard his name mentioned much on here. What are peoples thoughts on him? I honestly don't know much about him, but from what I have seen, I would like him as a CHEAP backup SG. I think he could be a good fit. His 3 point percentage isn't anything great right now, but I think he could learn under Snyder.

Welcome to the Forum! I do like K.J. McDaniels as a bench player. The problem is we are already stacked with talented bench wing players in Burks, Hood, Milsap, Ingles. To take the next step forward we need an upgrade as a starting wing to play alongside Hayward. Hence why we are throwing out the "Butler, Green, Leonard" names.

With reference to what a number of people have mentioned regarding Portland, I DO think this summer is the time to strike when it comes to Wes Matthews. His number is going to go up, given how complete of a player he is. And Portland just won't be able to afford him. Looking at their payroll, if they want to keep LaMarcus Aldridge beyond this season, it's going to cost them max money. Robin Lopez's number is going to go up, and unless they feel like starting Chris Kaman or Meyers Leonard, they're going to have to pay Lopez.

Considering they'll have to commit to a max contract for Damian Lillard (whether it's this summer or next), their salary commitments will mean -- at the end of the day -- that they won't have nearly the money they'll need to keep Wes Matthews this offseason, unless he's willing to take a MASSIVE hometown discount. I don't see that happening.

Considering how much the Jazz can (and hopefully will) offer him, I could totally see him returning to the Jazz. I don't imagine there's any resentment on Wes's part anymore, seeing as there's a different GM now than there was when they "didn't even call" him back in 2010. I also imagine a sizable offer will smooth over any grudges of the past.

It's time for the Jazz to turn the tables on the Blazers now that they're the ones in cap jail.

Middleton is the guy i would target. Crazy thing is it may take a near max contract. I think we are underestimating the rising cap and that this is the best chance for small markets to get value for their cap space for a couple years. If everyone has space when the cap rises then more glamorous markets will have an advantage.

In order for Utah to be players in FA, they really need a situation where they are one of only a few teams with money to spend, and that situation isn't going to exist this year. Our best bet is to go after a player with a considerable overpay, which will also be difficult IMO, because everybody will be anticipating the jump in the cap. I think fans would be wise to look to FAs flying a little under the radar, as opposed to those at the top of the wish list.
-
As I see it, our best bet to improve the team in the offseason goes like this:

1)Trade
2)Draft
3)FA
-
As of now, I'm expecting Utah to be very active this offseason in trying to take the next step. Getting lucky with a pick and making a trade could put us back in business in a hurry. Snagging a good FA would be great, but people should keep their expectations realistic.

Also, as people are talking about potentially going after DeMarre Carroll, doesn't Trevor Booker already fill that role to a large degree -- just not as a wing player?

It seems we might need a sf a little more than a sf (depends on how you feel about Burks). What about trading for Gallinari? Denver is about to blow it up. Not sure who else would be a good addition as well as available.

Probably right.
However, I hope that THE primary guy they well try to get in the off season is deangelo russell.

Use lots of assets if we must.

I have a question for you: What would you be willing to give up to get Russell? Say we come in with the 5th pick, and we can trade up to 3 to get him, for the right price. What do you give up?

I would give up anything not named Exum, Gobert, Hayward or Favors.

You? I'd try a deal of the 5 pick, a future pick, and Burks to move up.

In order for Utah to be players in FA, they really need a situation where they are one of only a few teams with money to spend, and that situation isn't going to exist this year. Our best bet is to go after a player with a considerable overpay, which will also be difficult IMO, because everybody will be anticipating the jump in the cap. I think fans would be wise to look to FAs flying a little under the radar, as opposed to those at the top of the wish list.
-
As I see it, our best bet to improve the team in the offseason goes like this:

1)Trade
2)Draft
3)FA
-
As of now, I'm expecting Utah to be very active this offseason in trying to take the next step. Getting lucky with a pick and making a trade could put us back in business in a hurry. Snagging a good FA would be great, but people should keep their expectations realistic.

Giving Wes 12-15 per year is massively overpaying him. The type of overpaying that would get him here.

Also, as people are talking about potentially going after DeMarre Carroll, doesn't Trevor Booker already fill that role to a large degree -- just not as a wing player?

I like Booker, but Carroll may be the best wing defender in the league. Carroll is exactly what Cleveland needs. If Cleveland was smart, they would have kept Wiggins, traded Waiters and Irving, brought in Carroll in the offseason, and another max guy.

Much better than Kevin Love.

It seems we might need a sf a little more than a sf (depends on how you feel about Burks). What about trading for Gallinari? Denver is about to blow it up. Not sure who else would be a good addition as well as available.

I want a 3&D guy.

I have a question for you: What would you be willing to give up to get Russell? Say we come in with the 5th pick, and we can trade up to 3 to get him, for the right price. What do you give up?

I'm with ya.
I would try to not include Burks, but if that's what it took then so be it.

Would be great if trey puts up big numbers the rest of the year and we use this year's pick, trey, gs pick, and even another future pick.

Yes, I think I would give up pretty much any asset not named Exum, Gobert, Hayward or Favors for a chance to get Russell. I am not sure any team would do it though...

When is the draft and when does free agency start.

Another big and back court help are the biggest problems. One in the draft and one in free agency.

I don't imagine there's any resentment on Wes's part anymore, seeing as there's a different GM now than there was when they "didn't even call" him back in 2010. I also imagine a sizable offer will smooth over any grudges of the past.
Link?
Where did you read they didn't even call him back? I remember in his press conference he had nothing but great things to say about Utah. Even HE was overwhelmed at the offer. Probably my impression but he almost sounded apologetic for leaving. He thanked Utah for giving him the opportunity to play. I can guarantee you there are ZERO hard feelings. And it wouldn't matter if KOC were still the GM. I think Wesley understands why the Jazz weren't going to spend $9M (salary + luxury tax) to keep him.

I doubt Paul Allen is too concerned about going into the luxury tax, not with the tax level going up to $100M. There's plenty of room to pay LMA and Lillard max contarcts and give nice increases to Lopez and Matthews.

Yes, I think I would give up pretty much any asset not named Exum, Gobert, Hayward or Favors for a chance to get Russell. I am not sure any team would do it though...
I doubt any team would trade out of the top-2 even IF we had the #6 pick. Okafor and Russell are just too valuable. Not sure if Mudiay or Towns have that same value. But it's a moot point. We're drafting outside the top-10. Book it.

When is the draft and when does free agency start.

Another big and back court help are the biggest problems. One in the draft and one in free agency.

The draft is on June 25, free agency starts in July...