What's new

Potential Trade Possibilities

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
Mike Conley for Trevor Ariza and George Hill

OKC has enough salary cap room to do this trade. Ariza is an expiring contract and Hill would be on the books next season for 10M.

We’d save 12.1M this year and get under the tax. Take a shot and see if Ariza can be a good contributor for us. We’d then have Hill for next season as well at not an insane price at all.

This is a much better situation than having Conley walk in FA and leaving us empty handed. I loved when Hill played for us and we’d have a solid backup PG this season and next season while having Mitchell as the starting PG.

We may have to add a pick but OKC would be getting off of Hill’s salary for the 2021-22 season and could use Conley’s salary to take on more salary with picks.

I love George Hill but he burned that bridge from what I hear. I think Ariza is done. He might get in shape for a final Lakers run but he isn't currently in OKC and waiting for a trade or waiver.

We aren't likely to do a Conley deal that brings back salary for next year. So as we fake trade him keep that in mind. Just to give you an idea... say you traded him for someone that had 10M on the books next year... that would add $20M in tax plus the salary... so total of $30M. Replacing his salary with a guy making like $25M would mean a tax bill of 90M. This trade doesn't do that... but just a PSA as you think about these things.

I'm only trading Mike if its a home run. I'm starting to buy into him focusing on his off ball scoring. Our overall size has improved so it will help cover his weaknesses. Just not forcing it to and through him will help.

A Mike trade needs to give us:
1- a player that is better than Mike or that we can use in a better way than Mike.
2- Get us out of the tax.
3- Provide a pick or cheap young player we want.

Gotta hit at least two of those buckets to be a win. I've not been a big believer, but we will need Mike this year more than a normal year. Gonna have a few covid absences here and there that will magnify what he brings.

I think Hill is a worse locker room guy than we know... pouted his way out of Sacramento... was pretty awesome in Milwaukee last year and they didn't hesitate to trade him in the Jrue deal. If they don't find a good trade I'm guessing he gets bought out.

I love George Hill but he burned that bridge from what I hear. I think Ariza is done. He might get in shape for a final Lakers run but he isn't currently in OKC and waiting for a trade or waiver.

We aren't likely to do a Conley deal that brings back salary for next year. So as we fake trade him keep that in mind. Just to give you an idea... say you traded him for someone that had 10M on the books next year... that would add $20M in tax plus the salary... so total of $30M. Replacing his salary with a guy making like $25M would mean a tax bill of 90M. This trade doesn't do that... but just a PSA as you think about these things.

I'm only trading Mike if its a home run. I'm starting to buy into him focusing on his off ball scoring. Our overall size has improved so it will help cover his weaknesses. Just not forcing it to and through him will help.

A Mike trade needs to give us:
1- a player that is better than Mike or that we can use in a better way than Mike.
2- Get us out of the tax.
3- Provide a pick or cheap young player we want.

Gotta hit at least two of those buckets to be a win. I've not been a big believer, but we will need Mike this year more than a normal year. Gonna have a few covid absences here and there that will magnify what he brings.

What is the long-term play? Re-signing him next year anywhere past 10M a year would be doing the same exact thing as this trade would.

What is the long-term play? Re-signing him next year anywhere past 10M a year would be doing the same exact thing as this trade would.
both hill and ariza are older players than Conley. i agree we need a long-term plan aside from this one more season of conley. however, hill/ariza are anything but "long term"

both hill and ariza are older players than Conley. i agree we need a long-term plan aside from this one more season of conley. however, hill/ariza are anything but "long term"

Ariza is an expiring contract and Hill would be on the books for one more season.

Long-term might not have been the best wording. More like what is the plan going forward for the next 1-2 years at least?

Honestly probably having him play this year for us and walking... I think he goes and hunts a title somewhere else for the minimum or the taxpayer MLE (likely one of the LA teams). Or he gets a one year above MLE overpay offer from a team like NY. If he'd stay for 10M next year I'd see what that looks like capwise vs. using the taxpayer MLE. We'd also look at the tax and the other trades we could make.

If there was an OP Jr. trade I'd look at it because it gets us out of the tax and gets us a good player. If Mike was sucking and there was an expiring for expiring deal that netted a pick I'd look at it...

TLDR... there is no long term play... he's a one year rental partly because we wont do better than Mike on a one year deal.

Honestly probably having him play this year for us and walking... I think he goes and hunts a title somewhere else for the minimum or the taxpayer MLE (likely one of the LA teams). Or he gets a one year above MLE overpay offer from a team like NY. If he'd stay for 10M next year I'd see what that looks like capwise vs. using the taxpayer MLE. We'd also look at the tax and the other trades we could make.

If there was an OP Jr. trade I'd look at it because it gets us out of the tax and gets us a good player. If Mike was sucking and there was an expiring for expiring deal that netted a pick I'd look at it...

TLDR... there is no long term play... he's a one year rental partly because we wont do better than Mike on a one year deal.
As I said, signing RHJ and trading Conley for OPJ gets the infection personal guarantee of a championship. Call DL. Or whoever's currently manning the FO. I bet with everyone wanting to be off this week they passed this off to the guy with long hair and a suit that's always on the sidelines. I bet we could get it through.

I don't hate the idea but I don't think we trade Conley... if we were going to do it we would have done it already. Itd be really disruptive to do it now and we have spent a lot of money to be all in on this year.

There is a world where maybe Joe drops off and we waive and stretch him so he can retire... then you re-sign Mike at a discount to make sure we don't lose too much playmaking. I'd say there is a 85% chance this is Mike's last season here. I'd say there is a 75% chance he is on the roster past the trade deadline.

As I said, signing RHJ and trading Conley for OPJ gets the infection personal guarantee of a championship. Call DL.
Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

Ted:
I'm listening.

Tommy:
Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted:
Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy:
'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.

Ted:
What's your point?

Tommy:
The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

Ted:
But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy:
Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

Ted:
Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy:
Well I... What?

Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

Ted:
I'm listening.

Tommy:
Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted:
Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy:
'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.

Ted:
What's your point?

Tommy:
The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

Ted:
But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy:
Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

Ted:
Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy:
Well I... What?
I actually have a Callahan Auto Parts shirt.

Actually, the trade of Conley for OPJ make a lot of sense

Mitchell, Harrison, Forrest
O'Neale, Clarkson, Oni
OPJ, Ingles, Hughes
Bogey, Niang, Morgan
Gobert, Favors, Azubuike

Saves the Jazz 6 million and puts us under the cap. Chicago gets a mentor for White. I would guess Chicago would want some draft considerations also sense they are saving the Jazz a ton of money.

Yeah, this is a very respectable trade idea - and makes Utah better on paper. But, at this point - I want to see how this team does. If they have underachieved by the deadline, and the backcourt seems to be why - we'll see what happens.

Actually, the trade of Conley for OPJ make a lot of sense

Mitchell, Harrison, Forrest
O'Neale, Clarkson, Oni
OPJ, Ingles, Hughes
Bogey, Niang, Morgan
Gobert, Favors, Azubuike

Saves the Jazz 6 million and puts us under the cap. Chicago gets a mentor for White. I would guess Chicago would want some draft considerations also sense they are saving the Jazz a ton of money.
Too bad we don't have any second round picks left for trade in the next 7 years. And an OPJ-Conley trade is actually one of the few trades that would make sense to throw in your second rounders.

Pass. Who cares about saving a billionaire money? If they trade Conley it should be to better team either now or in future. He is an expiring contract who has a year into the system. Trading him for two older veteran players does not make this team better. Plus, If he is good this year, maybe they resign him at a reasonable contract next year, like $10-15m per season.

Ariza is an expiring contract and Hill would be on the books for one more season.

Long-term might not have been the best wording. More like what is the plan going forward for the next 1-2 years at least?
Why go for another expiring when Conley is already the biggest expiring there is on the market? And Hill will be 36 by the end of this coming season, so still not sure there is much of "going forward" with this. honestly i'd prefer frank jackson as our backup/3rd string PG over a 37yr-old hill on a 10mil contract at this point.

Why go for another expiring when Conley is already the biggest expiring there is on the market? And Hill will be 36 by the end of this coming season, so still not sure there is much of "going forward" with this. honestly i'd prefer frank jackson as our backup/3rd string PG over a 37yr-old hill on a 10mil contract at this point.
I think I saw something on espn that jackson was let go by okc today.