What's new

Powerful image of SLC urban skyglow

♪alt13

casey_grimley_north_fork_park_ben_lomond.png

https://kuer.org/post/exploring-light-pollution-salt-lake-city#stream/0

Take a minute to look around your home. Perhaps you have a light that should be shielded.

It's more beautiful than the stars!

It's ridiculous. I get more and more pissed about it everytime I go camping nearby.

I've been wondering about whether I could sue SLC over the ******** LED street lights that they put in after I bought my home. Health risks

It's ridiculous. I get more and more pissed about it everytime I go camping nearby.

I've been wondering about whether I could sue SLC over the ******** LED street lights that they put in after I bought my home. Health risks

What is your suggestion for street lighting? I like the efficiency of LED lamps. But living near one is just terrible.

What is your suggestion for street lighting? I like the efficiency of LED lamps. But living near one is just terrible.

First in terms of energy use LEDs are comparable to modern low pressure sodium. 2 the most energy efficient street lamp is to not have one. Many street lamps are not necessary. It's probably a good idea to light up an intersection but I don't think that in most cases we need to light entire streets. 3 Cost savings are lost when you use it to light up previously dark areas. Let's not slap up the hottest brightest LED street lamps everywhere that we can afford to. LEDS are often just used to put more lumens out. It is overkill. 4 where we do use LEDS dim them a bit, put in one's with a lower temperature, shielded, and use blue light filters.

In my ideal world we would have many fewer streetlamps. That likely won't happen but wanting to turn them down a bit isn't too much to ask, is it?

Everyone going to get raped if you dont have street lights.
My fence was getting spray painted with gang graffiti **** on the regular.
My wife bitched and bitched to the city to get a street light by our fence. The finally put one there.
Haven't been tagged since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using JazzFanz mobile app

My fence was getting spray painted with gang graffiti **** on the regular.
My wife bitched and bitched to the city to get a street light by our fence. The finally put one there.
Haven't been tagged since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using JazzFanz mobile app

The problem isn't the street light lighting your fence. It is the color of the light and the light that is not hitting your fence that is the issue. Both can be addressed to a large degree.

When I moved into my home I had a halogen flood lamp with a motion sensor. I have since replaced it with a series of downward facing small LEDs that put out just the light I need and where I need it. I'm still playing around with it but it is not obtrusive to my neighbors and looks much better. Bonus they are solar powered.

Personally I don't think the city should be responsible for lighting your fence. It's your fence, you can light it and do it in a way that isn't overly intrusive.

The problem isn't the street light lighting your fence. It is the color of the light and the light that is not hitting your fence that is the issue. Both can be addressed to a large degree.

When I moved into my home I had a halogen flood lamp with a motion sensor. I have since replaced it with a series of downward facing small LEDs that put out just the light I need and where I need it. I'm still playing around with it but it is not obtrusive to my neighbors and looks much better. Bonus they are solar powered.

Personally I don't think the city should be responsible for lighting your fence. It's your fence, you can light it and do it in a way that isn't overly intrusive.
True