What's new

pre-Marital class

PearlWatson

This is a good direction, but doesn't go far enough.

It should be counseling...not sit at a desk and listen to a lecture class.

10 hours ain't even close to enough for a first marriage. Make it 30 hours or 6 months worth for the first marriage so it isn't treated like a "starter marriage." I doubt a "class" is going to have any influence on 2nd or 3rd especially if there are kids involved.

DENVER — A ballot initiative in Colorado would require couples to complete up to 30 hours of marriage education classes before their nuptial ceremony.

If the Colorado initiative is signed off by the 86,000-plus required individuals by the Aug. 4 deadline, the state could create a bill that would require first-time brides and grooms to attend 10 hours of marriage education, second-timers would complete 20 and those seeking marital bliss for a third time would need to attend 30 hours, according to the Denver Post.

In Utah, Rep. Jim Nielsen, R-Bountiful, aims to require a divorce initiation class at the beginning – currently, the law requires it occur within 60 days of filing – of the divorce process. He has proposed legislation that would require proof of class attendance before filing a petition for divorce with the court.

Read more at https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1010&sid=28441233#FFrA1sIOJRzPwU7B.99

I am on board with making it more difficult to marry. That goes farther to protecting the sanctity of marriage than anything else. However 6 months is absurd. I'd say start with one session up to an hour. Done by couple. Not a whole bunch at once.

That would also dry up a very large percent of Vegas weddings.

Nonsense- people and couples are at very different levels no matter if this is their first marriage or their third. Counseling could be valuable but making it mandatory is a terrible idea. In the end you have to trust adults to make adult decisions. This is one of basic principles in a human society, especially a democracy.

Wasteful government spending and over-regulation. Repbs, what happened with those objections?

Nonsense- people and couples are at very different levels no matter if this is their first marriage or their third. Counseling could be valuable but making it mandatory is a terrible idea. In the end you have to trust adults to make adult decisions. This is one of basic principles in a human society, especially a democracy.

No matter how the class goes it cannot approve or deny the wedding. That is up to the bride and groom. I am just looking at it from a stopping the spur of the moment weddings.

But you bring up a valid point. Who are we to stop them or even slow their roll?

I am on board with making it more difficult to marry. That goes farther to protecting the sanctity of marriage than anything else. However 6 months is absurd. I'd say start with one session up to an hour. Done by couple. Not a whole bunch at once.

That would also dry up a very large percent of Vegas weddings.

How would this Colorado law have anything to do with Nevada?

At any rate, don't many churches already require some sort of prenuptial classes before they will perform a marriage ceremony?
i'm with Dodo in that it's rather absurd when you consider the "smaller, less intrusive government" mantra of many Republicans!

How would this Colorado law have anything to do with Nevada?

At any rate, don't many churches already require some sort of prenuptial classes before they will perform a marriage ceremony?
i'm with Dodo in that it's rather absurd when you consider the "smaller, less intrusive government" mantra of many Republicans!

Sorry, I was talking on a national scale. And Dodo does have a point there. I am torn on the idea.

I can't fight the nanny state mentality so I'm joining it.

Plus, you can't ask for conservatives to pay for your abortions, drug rehab, lung cancer from smoking, heart disease/diabetes from eating crap/not exercising, your STDs from your slutty lifestyle, your kids to get schooled, your Obamaphones, etc. and not expect us to ask for anything in return.

It really ain't asking too much to take some time (counseling) to be clear on who it is you are marrying. You need to realize you ain't gonna change that drunk/druggie, abusive dick into prince charming, and you ain't gonna change a nagging bitch into a loving wife no matter how hot she is.

Also, you are harming your kids when you can't keep the marriages, you freely entered, together. Divorce is kids #1 fear and that is for a reason. They get screwed over when pursue your selfish desires over their well-being.

I can't fight the nanny state mentality so I'm joining it.

Plus, you can't ask for conservatives to pay for your abortions, drug rehab, lung cancer from smoking, heart disease/diabetes from eating crap/not exercising, your STDs from your slutty lifestyle, your kids to get schooled, your Obamaphones, etc. and not expect us to ask for anything in return.

It really ain't asking too much to take some time (counseling) to be clear on who it is you are marrying. You need to realize you ain't gonna change that drunk/druggie, abusive dick into prince charming, and you ain't gonna change a nagging bitch into a loving wife no matter how hot she is.

Also, you are harming your kids when you can't keep the marriages, you freely entered, together. Divorce is kids #1 fear and that is for a reason. They get screwed over when pursue your selfish desires over their well-being.

Can we demand the uptight prudes take a putting out as a teen class to mellow you all out? You can't ask us to pay for your heart attacks and strokes caused by your outraged at everything you wish to control about others but cannot attitude.

This is such a stupid idea. What happened to freedom? I think divorcees are punished enough for their stupid actions. Besides, I don't care if you go to 1,000,000 classes, talk for hundreds of hours, plan out every detail, what matters is what you do after you say, "I do." Everything you do before that is irrelevant. If you don't put in the work after, then you will end up 50% poorer, your expenses will double, and you will be 45 and gross acting like a 18 year old.

Like I said, divorcees are punished enough.

What happened to traditional marriage? Like when your dad met with her dad and bargained with her dad until a deal was made?

You librules keep making new rules and regulations trying to destroy traditional marriage

If the marriage sucked? Just get a concubine or two. She could take up a new lover. Ax her head if she doesn't produce the offspring you desire.

Damn librules.

I love how all of these become a dems vs repubs pissing match instead of debating the efficacy of the idea, or other ways to bring about the same ends.

I love how all of these become a dems vs repubs pissing match instead of debating the efficacy of the idea, or other ways to bring about the same ends.

Over time I have noticed its the same handful of posters that turns it into that.

Great idea.

If you can't spend a few hours learning how to make a marriage work, you have no business getting married IMO. (I've got them kids in mind here).