What's new

Predict Our Starting Lineup

Yesterday Sexton said he and Hardy have set a target number in terms of assists for this coming season. Seemed committed to making his teammates better. At the very least he will be given plenty of opportunity to prove if he has primary playmaker ability or if he's mainly just a scorer in this league. Cavs obviously used him more as a scorer next to Garland but Sexton said people are going to be surprised with his playmaking ability. We shall see.

IMO most impactful means the best. He will affect winning more than Markkanen or Sexton. That’s best in my book
Vando is fine... but he's a 25-30 minute a night big with no real offensive skill. Sexton is an efficient volume scorer... he did it on horrible teams... but he was really young and his teammates weren't good. It may seem like empty calories but that 25 a night he puts up efficiently is still more important to winning games imo.

Listening to the type of worker Sexton is (he has some of those Jimmy Butler dribbling in his hotel room stories) I feel confident that whatever Sexton's ceiling is as a player he will reach it. Not sure he will become a great playmaker but he will give it a great try when asked.

Vando ain't Rodman. He's a suped up Bo Outlaw or caffeinated Amir Johnson. Good role player... not some dude brimming with amazing potential.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but THT averaged 25 mpg last year. Does anyone think he gets more than that this year?
No... Lakers were and are still one of the most shallow teams in the league. Unless we move Conley or JC I don't see THT getting near that.

No... Lakers were and are still one of the most shallow teams in the league. Unless we move Conley or JC I don't see THT getting near that.
Agreed, it just makes that trade look so crazy the more you look at it. If the front office sees so much potential in THT, then why are they not clearing up our guard lineup to make sure he gets some consistent playing time.

Agreed, it just makes that trade look so crazy the more you look at it. If the front office sees so much potential in THT, then why are they not clearing up our guard lineup to make sure he gets some consistent playing time.
I think they liked him... I think there were other factors (maybe not a down payment) at play there... the timing and value will forever be something that makes me question their thinking. Especially if JC was a keeper all along. Maybe they thought they could move Conley but I would have thought they had a good read there when they made the THT deal.

I'm not a fan of his game at all so its hard for me to understand.

If Sexton ever learns how to actually make his teammates better, I’d revisit this. Markkanen isn’t even close.
Sexton has talked about how much film study he was able to get into being hurt, this should make hiom a better playmaker if the team around him is able to create spacing. I think he will show more than ever before. He also has made it seem pretty positive about his confiendence to run a team, being better than what he showed in Cleveland. I guess I can see why given he was playing off the pass first Garland, who seemed to be gifted the starting pg job the minute he walked into the Cavs facility.This was probably because they were tanking, and Sexton was cool with whatever job they needed him to focus on, including the microwave type scorer he steadily became efficient at there as a first option. I think LM is not a playmaker at all, but if he can continue to stretch the floor and create mismatches as a defender, and put the ball on the floor some like he did this summer, I think he can turn some heads.
Vander has high upside as a athlete but I am not sure his bb iq is anywhere close to making him the type of guy that makes his teammates better anytime soon.

Vando is fine... but he's a 25-30 minute a night big with no real offensive skill. Sexton is an efficient volume scorer... he did it on horrible teams... but he was really young and his teammates weren't good. It may seem like empty calories but that 25 a night he puts up efficiently is still more important to winning games imo.

Listening to the type of worker Sexton is (he has some of those Jimmy Butler dribbling in his hotel room stories) I feel confident that whatever Sexton's ceiling is as a player he will reach it. Not sure he will become a great playmaker but he will give it a great try when asked.
He's a Sexton worker, for sure.

Darkhorse starting lineup -- Sexton, Conley, Nickeil, Markkanen, Olynyk. First substitution is Beasley or Clarkson for Conley.

Rationale: Depending on how Agbaji develops, Nickeil may be the Jazz's best 3D wing at the moment. He's a switchable defender, a secondary creator, and should be an adequate spot-up shooter on the floor with three other guys who are going to be demanding the ball and demanding shots. In other words, Nickeil can be a glue guy in a lineup that lacks switchable size and ball movement. This lineup also enables the Jazz to play 5 out, whereas Vanderbilt is a non-scorer whom I think will probably come off the bench (a la Brandon Clarke).

Last edited:
Vando is fine... but he's a 25-30 minute a night big with no real offensive skill.
I completely disagree with this. He’s a good passer gets his team extra possessions off the offensive glass and knows what to do with the ball. The offense IMO will be better with him in the game. He’s a good passer, and always seems to make the right play.

starting lineup to begin the season with be
Conley
Sexton
Vando
Markkanen
Olynyk

just a horrendous defensive lineup (which is good!) even with Vando in there. there is a chance beasley starts at the 3, in which case it's pretty much the worst defensive starting linuep in the history of the league - which would also be cool.

starting lineup to begin the season with be
Conley
Sexton
Vando
Markkanen
Olynyk

just a horrendous defensive lineup (which is good!) even with Vando in there. there is a chance beasley starts at the 3, in which case it's pretty much the worst defensive starting linuep in the history of the league - which would also be cool.

I think the Jazz are going play with two basic philosophies: 1) space the floor and let their veteran guards create in space, or 2) switch 1 -4 or 1 - 5 on defense. Vanderbilt fits the latter concept, but not so much the former, since Conley and Sexton will be running into his defender. A switch 1 - 5 lineup would have THT, NAW, Agbagi, Vanderbilt and maybe Lauri or Fontecchio to score the ball.

Jazz will lose games because their team defense will be average at best, and Sexton and Lauri probably aren't good enough to close out teams on their own.

Conley (dangling)
Sexton (promise)
Fontecchio (promise)
Markkanen (just should)
Vando (pairs well with Markkanen)

Conley is the quick sub, plays with KO and they pick n pop. Conley sits on b2b's+. In that case:

Sexton
Beasley
Fontecchio
Markannen
Vando

no chance conley doesn't start. conley and sexton are guaranteed starters, with markkanen probably the next closest. the other two spots could go any number of directions.