What's new

Pretty Interesting Article

https://probasketballtalk.nbcsports...on-knight-sliding-down-everyone’s-draft-board

Even if he refuses to work out. I think that you still need to take him at 3, he has the most upside. I read that Utah would of traded Harris at the trade deadline last year but didn't have enough time to get something worked out. So what do you guys think?

When you say most upside do you mean between him, Kemba, and Jimmer? Or the most upside at 3 among Kanter, Irving, and Williams? Knight's a safe pick, but nothing screams to me that he will be all that better than Kemba or Jimmer and we could find someone like him next year. There's 3 guys at the top IMO and then a drop. If we don't take any of the 3 guys in that upper tier I'll be pissed.

Not sure what to make of this, but I did note the one comment at the bottom of this article. It is yet another person articulating the marketing reasons why the Jazz should select Jimmer. We've (including yours truly) have debated this issue here, but I continue to maintain that marketing is a foolish decision to draft a player, as the ultimate marketing tool is winning, regardless of who you put on the floor. I've heard this debated on the radio talk shows also, and the consensus there, including statements from Jazz braintrust members, is that letting the market dept. dictate player personnel moves is foolhardy. I guarantee with 100% certainty that a winning Jazz team without Jimmer will put more butts in seats and generate more excitement than a non-winning team with Jimmer. (Of course if Jimmer does help the Jazz win more, than it's a win, win, win, but that's another debate.)

I really do wish we could put this argument to bed and drive a frig'n stake through its heart.

Knight's a safe pick, but nothing screams to me that he will be all that better than Kemba or Jimmer

Jimmer and Kemba both are a lot older and have probably hit their potential. Brandon is what, 18? His potential is so much higher than either of those 2 and thats why he is going higher

When you say most upside do you mean between him, Kemba, and Jimmer? Or the most upside at 3 among Kanter, Irving, and Williams? Knight's a safe pick, but nothing screams to me that he will be all that better than Kemba or Jimmer and we could find someone like him next year. There's 3 guys at the top IMO and then a drop. If we don't take any of the 3 guys in that upper tier I'll be pissed.

Jimmer, Kember, Knight, But it would be awesome to watch those 3 go one on one on one. Just to show each other up. And I think Knight has more upside because of his Size and his age. Give him another 2 or 3 years and I think Jazz fans will be happy.

Unfortunately, I think you also need to look at character and the likelihood of a player remaining in Utah. If it takes Knight a couple of years to develop, that puts him 2 more years towards UFA. Jazz FO have to be a bit skittish after the Deron experience. Here was a guy taken over CP3 perhaps BECAUSE he did come in and workout for the team. Now you have Knight perhaps refusing to workout. If true, that would be a major tiebreaker for me. I'd take Kanter, Williams or Irving. If Knight drops, maybe Sacramento grabs him at #7 and then Jimmer slides to #12. Or the Jazz go with a SG or SF at #12 and get a PG via free agency or in next year's draft.

By all reports, knight is a very high character person, and would thrive in a small market environment. It seems like he and favors have very similar off court personalities. Quiet, well spoken, not about flash, more about working hard.

Could be a good match between the two.

By all reports, knight is a very high character person, and would thrive in a small market environment. It seems like he and favors have very similar off court personalities. Quiet, well spoken, not about flash, more about working hard.

Could be a good match between the two.

My opinion. Knight is very different than most. He will see his role as employee for the NBA team that chooses him. He will appreciate each paycheck and make sure he earns more than he receives, or die in the attempt.

Now, if it were me selecting, I'd probably take him around 7 or 8. I believe I actually have more concerns about him than most ... but his character/work ethic is a 10+.

Yep. Upside drives draft stock.

Ya know, I hope we draft knight just in spite of you and dip ****. We have been down this road on another thread. Marshall is no knight and either are any other pg next year. You sound really idiotic when go on on about how next years PGs are just as good and just completely off when you say Marshall is just as good. SO so dumb.

My opinion. Knight is very different than most. He will see his role as employee for the NBA team that chooses him. He will appreciate each paycheck and make sure he earns more than he receives, or die in the attempt.

Now, if it were me selecting, I'd probably take him around 7 or 8. I believe I actually have more concerns about him than most ... but his character/work ethic is a 10+.

who the hell do you take in front of him!?! As much as you fancy yourself as a super scout this comment convinces me that you are no more knowledgeable than bentley or dipship.

I know you guys keep saying we can find someone like him next year, but we won't have a #3 pick next year. There will be pg's as good or better than Knight next year, but we won't be in position to draft them. The Jazz have to take BPA and stay at #3 because they may not have a shot at a player of this caliber again for a long time.

who the hell do you take in front of him!?! As much as you fancy yourself as a super scout this comment convinces me that you are no more knowledgeable than bentley or dipship.

I'm sure I'm not any more knowledgable, never said I was. I have watched Brandon more than everyone on this board combined (half his last two years of HS games and all of his games at UK). I made observations from what I've seen over three years, that's it. It's very strange that people who have seen the kids play the most generate the least amount of credibility. I LOVE Knight ... he's one of my top 5 favorite players ALL TIME for UK (I'm 39 and watched since I was two years old).

I have NEVER once claimed to have any superior knowledge, but I do have insight (up real close) to both Knight and Kanter. I provide my thoughts, that's it. Sheesh, it's hard to know what to say and not say.

I know you guys keep saying we can find someone like him next year, but we won't have a #3 pick next year. There will be pg's as good or better than Knight next year, but we won't be in position to draft them. The Jazz have to take BPA and stay at #3 because they may not have a shot at a player of this caliber again for a long time.

There's no one in 2012 or 2013 that is CURRENTLY trending/projecting to be better/go higher than Knight.

I'm sure I'm not any more knowledgable, never said I was. I have watched Brandon more than everyone on this board combined (half his last two years of HS games and all of his games at UK). I made observations from what I've seen over three years, that's it. It's very strange that people who have seen the kids play the most generate the least amount of credibility. I LOVE Knight ... he's one of my top 5 favorite players ALL TIME for UK (I'm 39 and watched since I was two years old).

I have NEVER once claimed to have any superior knowledge, but I do have insight (up real close) to both Knight and Kanter. I provide my thoughts, that's it. Sheesh, it's hard to know what to say and not say.

you can start by naming the 6-7 players better players in this draft.

is it impossible we pick him as a second pick making a trade with Toronto?
we can give 12th pick, gsw pick and harris

I never said there were that many 'better' than Knight. I was referring to drafting with a risk/reward factor.

And there was no science to the number, I was just saying Knight has some things to work on that would concern me around 3. Perhaps the most of which would be his avoidance of contact. I always wanted him to attack the rim more (he has the ability and strength) but he would dodge the defender and end up shooting a 12 footer when he could have shot a 3 footer and drawn a foul. That happened with such frequency that it concerned me. Will he overcome it? I believe so. All I'm saying is he has some holes to his game that I feel most are underestimating. I love the kid, know he'll be great ... I'm just not sure I'd take him at 3, that's all.