What's new

Protestors storm capital

Another Pulitzer prize winning journalist has documented many many examples here in a recent article I think everyone should read- https://chrishedges.substack.com/p/lynching-the-deplorables

From the article-
“We are God-loving patriots,” she said. “Who’s going to be next? It’s not about Republican or Democrat or white or Black, Christian, or Muslim. We are all children of God. We are all U.S. American citizens. We are all entitled to our constitutional rights and freedom of speech. We can all come together and agree on that, right?”

The cheerleading, or at best indifference, by Democratic Party supporters and much of the left to these show trials will come back to haunt them. We are exacerbating the growing tribalism and political antagonisms that will increasingly express themselves through violence. We are complicit, once again, of using the courts to carry out vendettas. We are corroding democratic institutions. We are hardening the ideology and rage of the far-right. We are turning those being hounded to prison into political prisoners and martyrs. We are moving ever closer towards tyranny.
So........ No examples then huh? The quote you put in your post from the article doesn't give an example of any lies by the january 6th committee or any false flags or any mascots.

Thats fine- the government will be coming for your rights too.
I remember when obama took my guns. (actually I still have them)

I have been hearing about the government coming for my rights for years. I still have my rights.

So........ No examples then huh? The quote you put in your post from the article doesn't give an example of any lies by the january 6th committee or any false flags or any mascots.
The article has plenty of examples, that is why I linked it. I'm not going to plagiarize the article, you can access it easy enough, its not behind a paywall.

I remember when obama took my guns. (actually I still have them)

I have been hearing about the government coming for my rights for years. I still have my rights.
Plenty of our rights to privacy have been violated under the patriot act

* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigation.

* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.

* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press

This does not happen on a daily basis with police departments. Law enforcement lying on the stand is rare and knowingly destroying evidence is so uncommon that shows are made about it when it does.
You mean, when it's caught and the case is considered important enough to make a show about. The vast majority of criminal cases are plead out.

I won't say it never happens because it does and there is a procedure for when it happens but what I have never seen, ever, is for a police department employee getting caught in a lie and the federal government stepping in to declare the evidence of the lie to be classified.
I agree the federal government would not usually be involved in local police affairs.

As far as being consistent, I don't think you'll find a place where I have ever given suport to holding back information to protect conservatives. I don't trust conservative government either.
Yes, in retrospect my comment was slightly unfair. Sorry about that.

Plenty of our rights to privacy have been violated under the patriot act

* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigation.

* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.

* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press
So 20 years ago...

Many of us, myself included, are opposed to the Patriot Act. It is horrible and it would be great if we could roll that back.

It wasn't some secret attempt to enslave Americans, though. "Freedom" itself is a subjective concept. Robert Heinlein has an interesting sci-fi story "Citizen of the Galaxy" exploring many different concepts of freedom/liberty and how each of them also restricts and limits.

What freedom are you most concerned about losing? Who wants to take it from you and what will they gain by doing so?

So 20 years ago...

Many of us, myself included, are opposed to the Patriot Act. It is horrible and it would be great if we could roll that back.

It wasn't some secret attempt to enslave Americans, though. "Freedom" itself is a subjective concept. Robert Heinlein has an interesting sci-fi story exploring many different concepts of freedom/liberty and how each of them also restricts and limits.

What freedom are you most concerned about losing? Who wants to take it from you and what will they gain by doing so?
Wasn't the Patriot Act under Bush? Interesting.

"We agree with the chief of the Capitol Police and the wide range of bipartisan lawmakers who have condemned this false depiction of the unprecedented, violent attack on our Constitution and the rule of law – which cost police officers their lives," White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in a statement.

"We also agree with what Fox News's own attorneys and executives have now repeatedly stressed in multiple courts of law: that Tucker Carlson is not credible," Bates added.

Five people including a police officer died during or shortly after the riot and more than 140 police officers were injured. Then-Vice President Mike Pence, members of Congress and staff ran for their lives amid the chaos.

Though I do agree with tucker on one thing. Carlson argued that only a small number of those who illegally entered the Capitol as Congress was attempting to formally certify President Joe Biden's 2020 electoral win were "hooligans," and said the overwhelming majority were not.
And like I said before, this isn't new information. At no point did I ever think that the majority of the thousands of trumpers there that day were insurrectionists or violent or whatever. Which is why almost no one was actually charged with insurrection (only a couple were iirc). Im still haven't heard what new information has come to light from the footage tucker released. Again, it just reminded me of that horrible day and what some of worst citizens did all due to a lie told to them by Trump. Thanks for the reminder.

So 20 years ago...

It wasn't some secret attempt to enslave Americans, though. "Freedom" itself is a subjective concept. Robert Heinlein has an interesting sci-fi story "Citizen of the Galaxy" exploring many different concepts of freedom/liberty and how each of them also restricts and limits.

Ya- you asked when are they going to "start taking your rights"? Well this is a pretty egregious example of that and then your just going to act like 20 years ago is ancient history or something? I'm concerned about losing any of my freedoms- I'm not okay with losing any of them.
So because we aren't enslaved yet, attacking the Bill of Rights is okay?

Ya- you asked when are they going to "start taking your rights"? Well this is a pretty egregious example of that and then your just going to act like 20 years ago is ancient history or something? I'm concerned about losing any of my freedoms- I'm not okay with losing any of them.
I saw a new stop sign get put up in my neighborhood. I no longer have the freedom to just drive through that intersection! Oh no, im losing my freedum! I have to take my shoes off at the airport. I have to wear a seatbelt. The horror!

You still haven't listed any freedoms lost that myself or anyone I have ever know even gives a **** about. In fact, I recently got a medical marijuana card. I gained a freedom! Dont you just love that?

What about "them" giving us more rights? like legalizing marijuana? Does that also fit your narrative of losing freedoms?

Wasn't the Patriot Act under Bush? Interesting.
You can point the finger all you want at republicans, but what have the democrats done to restore these rights over the last 20 years? I believe it was only opposed by one person in congress and Democrats voted to extend the bill in 2019.

Attacking the Bill of Rights is not okay.

What about "them" giving us more rights? like legalizing marijuana? Does that also fit your narrative of losing freedoms?
That is an interesting example of one of the many freedoms taken from Americans in the 1930's. Besides the federal government still has not legalized marijuana.

Last edited:
You can point the finger all you want at republicans, but what have the democrats done to restore these rights over the last 20 years? I believe it was only opposed by one person in congress and Democrats voted to extend the bill in 2019.
It was actually very bi-partisan, which was the disappointing part but you proved my point, all you care about is the partisanship of it all. You are not discussing anything in good faith. Have fun trolling whomever will engage with you.

It was actually very bi-partisan, which was the disappointing part but you proved my point, all you care about is the partisanship of it all. You are not discussing anything in good faith. Have fun trolling whomever will engage with you.
What? You brought up the partisanship of it by saying this was under Bush. I was pointing out that it was bipartisan by saying it wasn't opposed and still held up and extended by democrats, but okay.

That is an interesting example of one of the many freedoms taken from Americans in the 1930's. Besides the federal government still has not legalized marijuana.