What's new

Provo's First LGBT Pride Event

Provo is having its first LGBT pride event. They are having a park celebration with events and booths followed by an after party at Madisons.

Next year they are planning on having a parade.

I think this is positive for Provo but I am curious to see how many people show up in support and if there is much community backlash.

https://www.provobuzz.com/provo-getting-its-first-lgbtq-pride-festival/

I thought this already happened yearly with BYU's Blue/White scrimmage?

Provo is a dieing town. Provo long ago decide to commit suicide.

Provo City Planning

I know Salt lake, Sandy, and Ogden all of have great convention centers. Let's tear down part of our Historic main street and build us a convention center that is much smaller than theirs. Good thing the market isn't over saturated in this state for convention centers. Besides who wants to fly into salt lake city and take a five minute train ride. Provo is so much more convenient in that it is an hour drive from an international airport.

They would have been better off erecting a giant wang.

"Come to Provo, see the giant wiener"

Provo City Planning

I know Salt lake, Sandy, and Ogden all of have great convention centers. Let's tear down part of our Historic main street and build us a convention center that is much smaller than theirs. Good thing the market isn't over saturated in this state for convention centers. Besides who wants to fly into salt lake city and take a five minute train ride. Provo is so much more convenient in that it is an hour drive from an international airport.

"Come to Provo, see Trout's giant wiener"

I'd drive 40 miles to see that. (or I could just shower, but you know what I mean)

oh ya, sweet burn NAOS, sweet burn...

I think this is positive for Provo but I am curious to see how many people show up in support and if there is much community backlash.

Probably not a good day to gauge any of that since BYU/Utah is going on a couple miles away from that park that same day. My advice to anybody attending, don't touch the splash pad in that park. Memorial Park Moms are protective of their territory. The Crips, The Bloods, Mara Salvatrucha got nothin' on the Memorial Park Moms clique. I longboarded over their pad one day and got an earful before I made my escape. They are a mean lot.

Provo City Planning

"Come to Provo, see the giant wiener"

You mean the building that was falling apart and condemned, that one? Provo has preserved lots of the old building and trying to build where they need to. Downtown Provo has gone from a ghost town to a popular place that has become busy on the weekends.

I dont think the convention center was built for tourists it was built for businesses to have meetings. SLC would be convenient so would any other big city. I am pretty sure it revolves around the fact there are many businesses in Provo that come in that need conference space. When your business is in Provo it is more convenient to have a conference in Provo, just a guess though.

Provo's dying? Your brain must be dying. Drop out of the drum circle, put yourself in school and become an ornithologist. I'll then hire you to keep track of all the cranes in Provo over the next 10 years. It's getting too much to handle by myself. I wake up every day.....thinking, "Am I in Dubai? Shanghai?"

Last edited:
Provo's dying? Your brain must be dying. Drop out of the drum circle, put yourself in school and become an ornithologist. I'll then hire you to keep track of all the cranes in Provo over the next 10 years. It's getting too much to handle by myself. I wake up every day.....thinking, "Am I in Dubai? Shanghai?"

hahahahahahahaha

lol

...... I'm not sure how successful this is going to be..........

Maybe it might actually hurt the pro gay marriage agenda.

I'm guessing that if one really wanted to show their gay pride they would focus their attention on education, tolerance, and how "normal" homosexuals can be. You're not going to win this one by "pushing around" the pretty darn stubborn majority which all frequent the same religion. You just won't. And "sticking their noses" in it will actually turn off many Provians to the progress which has been made in recent years. The efforts done by local homosexual writers (who are LDS) and BYU students has been huge in promoting tolerance and dispelling myths. I would say that many minds, which were previously closed and locked shut, are now open to the thought of state recognized gay marriage. If not marriage, then they are open to actually helping their homosexual neighbor rather than shunning them as you would perhaps an adulterer. Much of that could be undone by a bunch of guys air humping in speedos on center street barely a block away from the newest LDS temple in Utah.

It will not convince anyone that homosexuals are anything but a threat to an extremely conservative society which values modesty and traditional marriage. In fact, it will only strengthen the homosexual stereotype of being vulgar, immodest, and sexually deviant.

If anyone here wishes to participate in it... Please refrain from the traditional gay pride events which typically follow the recipe of Woodstock mixed with carnival. Rather than dressing and acting more extreme and profane to give "The Bird" to a conservative society, actually do something that demonstrates gay pride but also respects the culture of which you are trying to win over. Provo is a very unique place with an extremely conservative tradition and population. If you really want to display gay pride then work with the populace, not against.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that if one really wanted to show their gay pride they would focus their attention on education, tolerance, and how "normal" homosexuals can be. You're not going to win this one by "pushing around" the pretty darn stubborn majority which all frequent the same religion. You just won't. And "sticking their noses" in it will actually turn off many Provians to the progress which has been made in recent years. The efforts done by local homosexual writers (who are LDS) and BYU students has been huge in promoting tolerance and dispelling myths. I would say that many minds, which were previously closed and locked shut, are now open to the thought of state recognized gay marriage. If not marriage, then they are open to actually helping their homosexual neighbor rather than shunning them as you would perhaps an adulterer. Much of that could be undone by a bunch of guys air humping in speedos on center street barely a block away from the newest LDS temple in Utah.

It will not convince anyone that homosexuals are anything but a threat to an extremely conservative society which values modesty and traditional marriage. In fact, it will only strengthen the homosexual stereotype of being vulgar, immodest, and sexually deviant.

If anyone here wishes to participate in it... Please refrain from the traditional gay pride events which typically follow the recipe of Woodstock mixed with carnival. Rather than dressing and acting more extreme and profane to give "The Bird" to a conservative society, actually do something that demonstrates gay pride but also respects the culture of which you are trying to win over. Provo is a very unique place with an extremely conservative tradition and population. If you really want to display gay pride then work with the populace, not against.

Very good post

I could be wrong but I think this event is more about unity and support from within than trying to convince Provo to support gay marriage. This is a chance for people who are gay to come out and feel support and find people in their same company. I think this event is going to be a lot busier than people think.

As far as the changing peoples minds and hoping that acting conservative just to convince people in Provo to vote for gay rights is a lost cause with them. Provo is the last place in America that is going to vote for gay marriage. Although in my opinion being against gay marriage is a lost cause. Gay marriage will happen its just a matter of time, since the majority of people under 30 support gay marriage. It is more a matter if you want to be on the side of it or fighting against a lost cause. I think this issue will be viewed in the future like women's rights or black rights, people will be shocked that groups opposed gay rights.