What's new

PS4 vs X Box One

I only have an X Box and a Wii and chose to skip a generation. That time has come. I hear the Wii U sucks quality wise and is very limited in games available so that is out. I will be getting either the PS4 or X Box One, but will wait a month or two for a few initial bugs to be worked out. The specs look similar, but I am hearing the PS4 should perform slightly (maybe not noticeably) better image wise, but that the X Box One is supposedly better overall for the controller, interfacing with other equipment, and will have better game selection. Both play Blu-rays. The PS4 lists $100 cheaper, but fails to include the motion detection accessories that the X Box One includes. When you add that cost they are about equal in cost. I am leaning toward the X Box One, but do any of you have strong opinions one way or the other?

I only have an X Box and a Wii and chose to skip a generation. That time has come. I hear the Wii U sucks quality wise and is very limited in games available so that is out. I will be getting either the PS4 or X Box One, but will wait a month or two for a few initial bugs to be worked out. The specs look similar, but I am hearing the PS4 should perform slightly (maybe not noticeably) better image wise, but that the X Box One is supposedly better overall for the controller, interfacing with other equipment, and will have better game selection. Both play Blu-rays. The PS4 lists $100 cheaper, but fails to include the motion detection accessories that the X Box One includes. When you add that cost they are about equal in cost. I am leaning toward the X Box One, but do any of you have strong opinions one way or the other?

Xbox will have more games.

PS4 is superior hardware and performance wise.

https://www.tickld.com/t/409579

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/the-xbox-one-and-ps4-share-similar-specs-but-the-devils-in-the-details/

Both sides have extreme fanboys. You'll have people argue until they're blue in the face.

For me, the controller for the PS4, which is mostly the same format as what I grew used to since the PS1, makes all the difference in the world. So does the semi-backwards compatibility Playstation 3 controllers will have with PS4. And there's that part where the PS4 is $100 cheaper.

That's enough to get PS4 the edge. But the real killer is not what the PS4 has to offer, it's what Xbox is shoving down your throat. Their UI is a Windows 8 running Windows media player. I can't stand that crap. The last "debate" I was in about this was on facebook and ended when the other guy said

I guess it depends on what you want out of your system. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do play. The XBone is the closest one stop shop that has come out for games/media with a much better UI than the PS.

Which boils his argument for the Xbox One down to because he's not a hardcore gamer, Windows 8 is for him.

My advice:

Don't be that guy.

Get out there and evaluate what you're buying that console for. If you wanna get Xbox one, that's fine. Like it for the included camera your friends can jump on to see you playing CoD in your birthday suit. Or like it for the near inevitable game edge Microsoft has held over Sony since the original xbox/ps2 generation. Like it because you do like the feel of the controller better(I can't see how anyone would like that thing better than the PS controllers, but your opinion is much more valid than mine when your money's on the line). Own that s**t, be proud of it, but don't pretend it's something it's not because of your familiarity. It's inarguable that the PS4 has the capability to preform better than the Xbox One, and by a fair margin(some "experts" saying up to 50% better, which I feel like is total crap) but processing power really isn't the end all in this race.

My money's going to PS4 when I decide I need to upgrade. But for now, my PS3 is rocking my needs just fine(0 problems media sharing to/from the PC, netflix, occasional Skyrim/God Of War playing, Blu-Ray like a champ).

For me I go ps4 because ps3 had the uncharted series, the last of us, and the god of war games.
I feel like playstation has been making the better exclusive games.

I do like gears of war doe

For me I go ps4 because ps3 had the uncharted series, the last of us, and the god of war games.
I feel like playstation has been making the better exclusive games.

I do like gears of war doe

Xbox one is supposed to have three really strong exclusives already. Rising Dead 3, that racing game and Son of Rome.

Basically it boils down to this:

What exclusive games do you want? That's probably the only massive difference.

Both consoles are going to be very nice. I have the PS4 right now and like it a lot. It's always going to come down to personal preference.

Xbox one is supposed to have three really strong exclusives already. Rising Dead 3, that racing game and Son of Rome.

I played the other dead risings and they are not even close to god of war, uncharted, or the last of us.

Son of rome looks good though

If you wanna get Xbox one, that's fine. Like it for the included camera your friends can jump on to see you playing CoD in your birthday suit. Or like it for the near inevitable game edge Microsoft has held over Sony since the original xbox/ps2 generation.
Um, what? I agree with most of what you've said, but this is just out of left field. First of all, there were a total of 3,870 games released for the PS2, next to 967 for the original Xbox. Moreover, the PS2 sold a total of 1.66 billion games, while the Xbox only managed 270 million. So I'm really not sure how anyone could say that Microsoft has had an "inevitable game edge... since the original xbox/ps2 generation." I suppose you could argue that the flagship titles for the Xbox were better, but I would heartily disagree. And whatever way you want to slice it, the PS2 was the most successful gaming console ever. That's not me being a fanboy, that's just empirical fact.

This past generation was much closer, of course. Microsoft had a slight edge both in number of games developed and number of games sold. And regionally speaking, they led handily in the U.S., while Sony led in all other regions.

Still, the basic thrust of what you said about which console to get sounds right to me. It really is a toss-up, and depends most on what exclusive games you're interested in, and if any of your friends are getting a console as well (may as well get the one your friends are getting so you can play together). FWIW I'll be getting a PS4, but this is just my own unremarkable personal preference: I've had great fun with my other Sony consoles, I like the controller better than the Xbox's controller, my brother and most of my friends will be getting PS4s, and there are a few exclusive games I'm interested in (like Deep Down, for one).

I think you have to pay now for PS4 online.

Yup. Was a really great argument before, but for the next generation Sony just couldn't resist starting to charge for online gaming like Microsoft's been doing from the beginning. Sad.

Moreover, the PS2 sold a total of 1.66 billion games, while the Xbox only managed 270 million. So I'm really not sure how anyone could say that Microsoft has had an "inevitable game edge... since the original xbox/ps2 generation." I suppose you could argue that the flagship titles for the Xbox were better, but I would heartily disagree. And whatever way you want to slice it, the PS2 was the most successful gaming console ever. That's not me being a fanboy, that's just empirical fact.

This past generation was much closer, of course. Microsoft had a slight edge both in number of games developed and number of games sold. And regionally speaking, they led handily in the U.S., while Sony led in all other regions.

My apologies. I had no idea there was that much discrepancy between the systems/games. All I know is owning a PS2, I was feeling left out at times. Perhaps I should append my original statement to "Or like it for the near inevitable game edge Microsoft has held this last generation"

So thank you for your contribution to my understanding of the gaming console wars.

Um, what? I agree with most of what you've said, but this is just out of left field. First of all, there were a total of 3,870 games released for the PS2, next to 967 for the original Xbox. Moreover, the PS2 sold a total of 1.66 billion games, while the Xbox only managed 270 million. So I'm really not sure how anyone could say that Microsoft has had an "inevitable game edge... since the original xbox/ps2 generation." I suppose you could argue that the flagship titles for the Xbox were better, but I would heartily disagree. And whatever way you want to slice it, the PS2 was the most successful gaming console ever. That's not me being a fanboy, that's just empirical fact.

This. I also understand that the 360 put out more and better games up until around 2009, and since then ps3 has had much better output (quality and quantity). I should also note that the number of exclusives that the 360 boasts is inflated by a large amount of kinect titles. Some people like those, maybe, but it might be worth it to just point it out.

Above all, the majority of games are multiplatform, so you have to go off of exclusives. You know (or can, at least, guess) what kind of games are coming to each console exclusively. I would base my decision off of that. For me, personally, Sony's first party studios are more numerous, have more range, and are frequently experimental. I tend to enjoy their stuff more.

I don't get the dudes who buy game consoles based off of the peripheral stuff. Like, ooh I really like the OS and UI of ps4 more, im gettin that ****. YAA remote play (you can use a psvita to play ps4 games in other rooms of the house.), I can watch TV through my XBONE nice! (apparently you could also play ps4 through your xbone).

my final decision, though, is to wait until i've played through my library of ps3 games, and maybe I'll even get an 360 to play through some of their catalog as well (LOST ODYSSEY anyone?)

Thanks for reading ~ Safetydan

The best game that seems to have come out over the past few weeks of new console releases is Super Mario 3D World. I'm sure Nintendo did that on purpose.

The best game that seems to have come out over the past few weeks of new console releases is Super Mario 3D World. I'm sure Nintendo did that on purpose.

Gta5 is way better I'm certain