What's new

Quick Question

thebrazilianzz

I'm attending an MBA program here in Brazil and the teacher just said that in the U.S. Monday is considered the first day of the week.

Is it just in Brazil the first day of the week is Sunday? Most people don't work on sunday, just like the U.S., and monday is the first "workday", but it is the second day of the week. Is my teacher right saying that in the U.S. Monday is considered the first day of the week?

I'm attending an MBA program here in Brazil and the teacher just said that in the U.S. Monday is considered the first day of the week.

Is it just in Brazil the first day of the week is Sunday? Most people don't work on sunday, just like the U.S., and monday is the first "workday", but it is the second day of the week. Is my teacher right saying that in the U.S. Monday is considered the first day of the week?

You are correct and your teacher is wrong.

The way you guys observe it is the way we observe it.

That's what I thought, I even told my friend sitting next to me, How can I live in a country 4 years and not know the correct first day of the week? Good thing to know I'm not that dumb...does that make the guy teaching this class that dumb? LOL

That's what I thought, I even told my friend sitting next to me, How can I live in a country 4 years and not know the correct first day of the week? Good thing to know I'm not that dumb...does that make the guy teaching this class that dumb? LOL

Tell your teacher to look at an American Calendar.

2014-april-Calendar-2.png

In Europe things might be different. I know the iconic Stendig calendar starts with the first day of week as Monday.

In Europe our first day of the week is Monday. In my language if you translate it by word it would sound "firstday"

But Sunday is the 7th day.

In my language, Sunday is the last day of the week and its Turkish meaning the word "Pazar" means market.

Monday is the first day of our calendar and its Turkish "Pazartesi" means "the day after Sunday". lol

So the calendar shows Sunday first, but the "weekend" consists of Saturday and Sunday. No wonder there is confusion.

Does it really matter what day is considered the "First day" of the week?

What's the significance of having Sunday as the first day? (except being the first row in the calendar)

Does it really matter what day is considered the "First day" of the week?

What's the significance of having Sunday as the first day? (except being the first row in the calendar)

It mattered yesterday. He was showing a guy on class, sitting right next to me, how to get the HP12C calculator to count dates and stuff like this.

When he was done, he showed the result on the calculator and it was something like this: 04.042014 7 and said that 7 meant Friday.

I saw that, and said that the calculator was wrong, the 7th day is Saturday and his answer was: "It's not wrong, the calculator just uses the American calendar".

In portuguese Monday from friday is called segunda, terça, quarta, quinta and sexta which means exactly second, third,fourth, fifth and sixth. I guess everybody in the world counts Sunday as the first day of the week, only this calculator does not.

It mattered yesterday. He was showing a guy on class, sitting right next to me, how to get the HP12C calculator to count dates and stuff like this.

When he was done, he showed the result on the calculator and it was something like this: 04.042014 7 and said that 7 meant Friday.

I saw that, and said that the calculator was wrong, the 7th day is Saturday and his answer was: "It's not wrong, the calculator just uses the American calendar".

In portuguese Monday from friday is called segunda, terça, quarta, quinta and sexta which means exactly second, third,fourth, fifth and sixth. I guess everybody in the world counts Sunday as the first day of the week, only this calculator does not.

OK.. but apart from this calculator, and the calendar showing Sunday as being on the first column, what significance is it to our livelihood as human beings??

Heh

My teachers never once mentioned when the first day of the week for Brazil is recognized.

Sunday is the first day on the calender and is the first day of the week. This is also taught in school.

However, Monday is commonly considered the first day of the week on an everyday life level. Saturday and Sunday are referred to as the "weekend" and most people talk about a new week starting with Monday.

Sunday is the first day on the calender and is the first day of the week. This is also taught in school.

However, Monday is commonly considered the first day of the week on an everyday life level. Saturday and Sunday are referred to as the "weekend" and most people talk about a new week starting with Monday.

Yes exactly.

So again, I ask, what is the significance of having Sunday as the first day (except it being the first column in the calendar).

All I know is that Saturday is a special day, its the day I get ready for Sunday.

When I was in Brazil some 30 years ago, someone showed me a school textbook that had New York as the capital of the U.S.