What's new

Quin - my only criticism

BENTLEY

I've been really happy with Snyder as head coach.
But last year watching the jazz offense dribble dribble dribble and then "oh ****, shoot it!" over and over again has made me wonder what is up?

I mean, yes, we were spoiled with Phil Johnson's offense for years, with a HOF PG running it, but man, I didn't like Quin's offense last year (or lack of offense).

BUT bringing Rubio gives me hope. But golly, run an offense, guys. Or we need Phil Johnson to come out of retirement and teach Quin that those offensive sets are pretty great when executed.

Still, I'm still on board with Quin. I'm glad he's the coach and not Alvin Gentry.

Quin went coach Corbin on us in the playoffs. He relied on veterans instead of letting some of our young guys get the minutes. I get the pressure he was under as the whole organization including the fans were cow towing to Gordon's every wish.

Hopefully we stop trying to copy the Golden State Warriors and play an up tempo game with lobs and slashing. We had too slow of an offense centered around Hayward. Time to move up the tempo and play looser.

One of the best young coaches in basketball and you guys are complaining. I don't know what offense you were watching BENTLEY but Snyder used the pick and roll a ton with Rudy and the game was about controlling pace. Jazz were a defense first team last year. It's the reason they beat the Clippers. They would never have been able to run with them through a whole game. It's the reason they got smoked by the Warriors. They weren't able to control the pace. And by the way, the Jazz did a pretty good job of running out when they could but were wise to pull back if they didn't have a good quick shot. I'd say this was one of the more fun years of Jazz offense in a while. Snyder has also said he wants to run an uptempo offense but he doesn't have the personnel to do it.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, find me a team in the playoffs that doesn't shorten the bench. What young guy did you want to get more playing time? Lyles? Bolomboy? Would that have beat the Warriors? Exum got plenty of minutes.

I remember reading that we were statistically one of the teams that relied on ISO more than almost every other team in the league. That's what we all saw. Mack driving for himself. Hayward and Joe Jesus in ISO situations. Hood with a free rain to shoot. Etc. It was frustrating to watch because when we played as a squad we were dominant. The lack of Hill added a ton to that I think because when George Hill was injured for long stretches our offense dropped off big time.

For those of you still confused about Rubio's value... THIS IS WHY WE GOT HIM!

(This and the fact that Gordon Hayward wanted us to get him. PISSOFF ****** HAYDICK... Pretty awful to hear that video of IThomas came at 9:00 am and Hayward still required our confidence to apologize that in spite of us doing everything right he was going to walk for nothing.

Pure stankstale Chotchski!

One of the best young coaches in basketball and you guys are complaining. I don't know what offense you were watching BENTLEY but Snyder used the pick and roll a ton with Rudy and the game was about controlling pace. Jazz were a defense first team last year. It's the reason they beat the Clippers. They would never have been able to run with them through a whole game. It's the reason they got smoked by the Warriors. They weren't able to control the pace. And by the way, the Jazz did a pretty good job of running out when they could but were wise to pull back if they didn't have a good quick shot. I'd say this was one of the more fun years of Jazz offense in a while. Snyder has also said he wants to run an uptempo offense but he doesn't have the personnel to do it.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, find me a team in the playoffs that doesn't shorten the bench. What young guy did you want to get more playing time? Lyles? Bolomboy? Would that have beat the Warriors? Exum got plenty of minutes.

Last year, in spite of the playoff run, was the first year in 35 years of jazz fandom that I had a hard time watching the games. It was depressing. Slow it down, sure. We don't have any offensive studs on the team whereas we have awesome defensive studs on the team. But, yeah, it was dribble, dribble, dribble, oh ****!! nearly every time. Super disappointing after years of crisp offensive plays. Shrug. Hey, I like Snyder. I'm excited about him. But the offense troubled me. Dribble for 23 seconds and then jack up a low percentage shot with a hand in your face? c'mon.

I think we will see improvement in our offense with Rubio running the show. It's the first time we've had an elite passing PG with great vision since D-Will. Snyder should definitely try to pick up the pace a little with Rubio on board. Rubio is best passer in the league in transition. We need to run more to take advantage of his skills...

It's a fair criticism. To me it was PNR and if that didn't work another PNR and if that didn't work you're at 5-7 seconds so now you iso. Rinse, repeat. Every possession. I love the idea of ball movement and cuts we can implement. I know Golden State is a different animal but with the passing playmakers the Jazz had last year, a similar offense to the Warriors (with more PNR cause Rudy and Favors) I truly think could have worked.

We still finished I believe 12th in offensive rating which I think is pretty good, obviously room for improvement.

I think we will see improvement in our offense with Rubio running the show. It's the first time we've had an elite passing PG with great vision since D-Will. Snyder should definitely try to pick up the pace a little with Rubio on board. Rubio is best passer in the league in transition. We need to run more to take advantage of his skills...

Yeah man. I'm excited about RICKEEEEE!!!!

Its a style and an identity. Teams know every possession counts against us. You think we'll or anyone will compete against the Warriors by mimicking their style???

All these teams loading up for fast pace basketball with lots of 3s are eating right out of their hand.

My criticism of him would be his business-like, semi-rigid demeanor. I'm not sure he connects on a human level with any of these guys. That's a terrible criticism in many ways because I'm not in the locker room or at practices or at games or team functions with these guys but there's something about Quin that just doesn't seem natural. I'm not saying it's contrived by any means. I think he just really thinks a lot and comes across as a sort of cyborg or something and I worry he doesn't develop any sort of deep relationship with them.

Not to mention the experience gained by Gobert, Hood, Favors and Ingles. Exum is really the only one left to mildly complain about. Snyder rocked the playoffs.

Edit: What I would like to see is him lose it on the refs when they are hosing us. not all the time but sometimes you've got to take that T and defend your guys.

We run an offense. We were 12th in offensive rating last year. 9th in FG%, 9th in 2ptFG%, 9th in 3ptFG%. We were pretty efficient for the most part. We just ran our stuff at a slow pace because it fits our players and benefits our defensive identity. Quin has done an excellent job in my opinion.

My criticism of him would be his business-like, semi-rigid demeanor. I'm not sure he connects on a human level with any of these guys. That's a terrible criticism in many ways because I'm not in the locker room or at practices or at games or team functions with these guys but there's something about Quin that just doesn't seem natural. I'm not saying it's contrived by any means. I think he just really thinks a lot and comes across as a sort of cyborg or something and I worry he doesn't develop any sort of deep relationship with them.

I thought the same thing. Do we see evidence of this in Hayward's departure for a warmer more welcoming coach perhaps?

I've been really happy with Snyder as head coach.
But last year watching the jazz offense dribble dribble dribble and then "oh ****, shoot it!" over and over again has made me wonder what is up?

I mean, yes, we were spoiled with Phil Johnson's offense for years, with a HOF PG running it, but man, I didn't like Quin's offense last year (or lack of offense).

BUT bringing Rubio gives me hope. But golly, run an offense, guys. Or we need Phil Johnson to come out of retirement and teach Quin that those offensive sets are pretty great when executed.

Still, I'm still on board with Quin. I'm glad he's the coach and not Alvin Gentry.

I can't express how wrong this is haha. They run one of the most intricate and demanding offenses in the league. The fact that the clock runs down at times is because of all the motions they have and the players have to make correct reads. Or it breaks down and they go to a 1 on 1 / PnR if they can't get an initial look.

What I think needs to change is that the Jazz need to push the ball much more aggressively. Hayward, for all his good attributes, is not the kind of player that pushes the ball up the floor. He is much more likely to walk it up and play slow. With Mitchell, and especially Rubio/Exum the Jazz should be able to get more early offense looks. In fact thy will really want to do that to avoid having to play in the half court as much with their current roster.

That's another reason why I think favors should be moved. The Jazz need a 4 who can hit 3's, run the floor, and even bring the ball up a little bit.

Naw Quin is brilliant, KD gave him praise after this years playoffs. On a semi unrelated note, I'm just kinda in shock we haven't acquired a power forward.

i really hated quin's offense at the beginning of last season. got into many 10 page arguments about it. but something happened as the season progressed.. guys were cutting.. the ball was moving. it was a big progression. our offense climbed into the top 10 for much of the 2nd half of the season. that movement dissipated toward the end of the season, and into the postseason, but there is potential there. That said, watching a 22 second grind nearly every possession... it's not a very "fun" watching experience for the fan, compared to Golden State, Houston, or other faster paced teams.