What's new

Quin Price Snyder's Offence

franklin

Since the Jazz put on a beautiful offensive clinic the last game I finally decided to create one.

Motion Strong variation:

motion1_zpszixy8kgg.jpg

Gobert plays the "duck in" role, Lyles the trailer. Instead of passing to Lyles for play initiation as his man covered outside the 3 point line, he pushes down.

motion2_zps6zp4xtyl.jpg

Gobert flashes up for the mismatch screen.

motion3_zpsvzssq5uk.jpg

A little too much ICE, big guy?

motion4_zpsbxyx2hs4.jpg

Then dives to an awkward area designed to set a 6' vs 7' post up, or a Kobe Assist location.

motion6_zpsfdl0lkq8.jpg

Hill backs out. Check the mismatches.

Help for Hill has to hedge cover between Gobert's Kobe Assist Dunk and Hill burning a big for an easy layup. The other shrimp has to hedge off his man to assist as well.

motion7_zpswizrykbr.jpg

Leaving Lyles wide open in the corner.

Another strong motion variation:

motionA_zpsn0nomcnv.jpg

Gobert inbounds and is later down the court. Lyles doesn't take the duck in role.

MotionB_zpsmkk9zyby.jpg

Instead of waiting to set a double down screen, Hill runs flex-like motion, with possibility of a corner three off a Gobert screen. Everyone is moving.

MotionC_zpsvdeud9ta.jpg

Lyles sets a double screen but effectively screens 3 players.

MotionD_zps4agoamfl.jpg

Ice any harder, Coach Malone?
Hayward had 4 options.

MotionE_zpslqu6zey2.jpg

Splash.

The Jazz ran this strong Diaw-Gobert action twice in a row last night.

MotionDiaw1_zpsi2cbcnhh.jpg

Initiation.

MotionDiaw2_zpsa4xqvzbq.jpg

Ball reversal and Diaw post up.

MotionDiaw3_zpsqtphgtcu.jpg

Gobert sets the hard screen and the wing defender has to hedge his cover.

MotionDiaw4_zpsqecchh4a.jpg

Gobert slips for the easy alley-oop.

These are some good pictures. IMO, Rudy is the key guy in each of these plays. The defense has such a large hill to climb if he can get a good screen off. I also can't seem to take my eye off of Denver's defense. Mike Malone has some serious work to do with guys.

These are some good pictures. IMO, Rudy is the key guy in each of these plays. The defense has such a large hill to climb if he can get a good screen off. I also can't seem to take my eye off of Denver's defense. Mike Malone has some serious work to do with guys.

Rudy is easily the best screener in the game.

Here's Strong Motion, lazy V cuts combined with the Diaw post-up (which has become a cornerstone of the offense at times).

MoreStrong1_zpsqzuimaex.jpg

Initiation. Hill to trailing big, swing to wing.

MoreStrong2_zpsfl0hlyjq.jpg

Johnson makes a lazy V-cut and comes back for the Gobert pin-down screen while Hayward passes into the post.

MoreStrong3_zpsjj2r5d9y.jpg

Hayward doubles the screen and turns it into a lazy V-cut as Johnson isn't open for the 3 and so he dives to the paint.

MoreStrong4_zpsspkl0hd0.jpg

Johnson pins Jameer Nelson between himself and Chandler, leaving Hayward wide open.

Hayward mismatch post-up:

Haywardpost1_zpsymwfkccm.jpg

Looks like a variant of Quin's wider HORNS-ish sets.

Haywardpost2_zpsuexnrh9p.jpg

Haywardpost3_zpsrwkydkfs.jpg

Hayward screwed the pooch on this play by not passing to Diaw, with a swing option to Johnson. Then again, Diaw almost refuses to shoot a wide open three lately.

so much more off-ball movement and general variation in the offense now that Hill is back and Diaw seems to be healthier.

Here is fake HORNS with Hayward cutting through to initiate into weak motion. Snyder has been running a ton of motion into HORNS and HORNS into motion this year. The goal of this one is to get Diaw into the post. The Jazz ran this the first two possessions against Atlanta.

HornsHayward1_zps4fctbvq1.jpg

HornsHayward2_zpsqujamija.jpg

HornsHayward3_zpslrn365un.jpg

Hayward cut through, Diaw pops out, and Hill cuts down the weak side.

HornsHayward4_zpsenudw48o.jpg

Gobert pops out for ball reversal.

HornsHayward5_zpsdfosnsjm.jpg

Diaw posts up.

HornsHayward6_zpscdenkevl.jpg

4 options for Diaw.

HornsHaywardA_zpst8qqcowv.jpg

HornsHaywardB_zpsywpd2qvn.jpg

HornsHaywardC_zpsxw8fxx21.jpg

Same play except Diaw cuts behind the defense to post up...

HornsHaywardD_zpsfxtod1pd.jpg

And Hayward and Gobert set the double pin down on Korver

HornsHaywardE_zpswkt1rseu.jpg

so much more off-ball movement and general variation in the offense now that Hill is back and Diaw seems to be healthier.

Our second unit is stagnant as hell. The Detroit model is working well when healthy. Lyles has been shooting like crap but his play is still noticeably affecting the outcome. He is the weak starting link, which is a good thing.

Lyles has been shooting like crap but his play is still noticeably affecting the outcome. .

Lyles ORPM is -2, 69/91 among PFs.

I do love me some TreyMamba, but his overall impact on offense is not positive so far this year.

Andy Larsen must be going ape **** over the fact that defenses clearly don't respect Hill's shooting abilities.

Andy Larsen must be going ape **** over the fact that defenses clearly don't respect Hill's shooting abilities.

In this instance it's a cross court pass directly over two defenders. Schroeder can safely cheat a little here.

Yeah but if you pass it to George at this moment, Schroeder is going to run at him for a closeout. You pass it to Exum (if he was in George's spot) and Schroeder is going to turn around and look for the rebound.

I was thinking about how much some of us(myself included) have criticized Snyder's coaching at times (particularly last year). Now it seems we have the pieces that can make it work. It's been a joy to watch this season, particularly when Hill and Hayward have played. I feel like I'm watching the old glory days Spurs at times. We keep this up and I could see Hayward, Gobert and Hill all making the All Star Team and who knows what else. All I know is nobody is going to want to play us in the playoffs.

We keep this up and I could see Hayward, Gobert and Hill all making the All Star Team

Hayward and Gobert have a shot.
Hill would have to beat out the incumbents (cp3, westbrook, lillard, steph, etc) don't think hill can do it.

Hayward has kahwi, harden, klay, wiggins, etc.... though I think Hayward might get there.

Gobert should make this team with this level of play though his raw box score stats won't be at the level of the brow, demarcus cousins, gasol, etc and that might screw him out of the spot he deserves.

DoubleHigh1_zpsxuwrzxgw.jpg

Hill recognizes all the space and uses a quick step to dive to the bucket.

DoubleHigh2_zpszbfk071y.jpg

Look at Gobert and Diaw's heads, reading and reacting.

DoubleHigh3_zpso0asgzbf.jpg

Dish to Gobert who got the monster Jam. Notice Diaw's new position for transition defense.

DoubleHigh4_zps2xyfjplj.jpg

Hill sets a brilliant pass off screen for Rudy.

Very next play, same thing.

DoubleHigha_zpstgr4bxwg.jpg

Hill again sees the clearing and dives.

DoubleHighb_zpskvqaca9o.jpg

They adjusted for the Gobert dunk, adjusting late and giving Hill space.

DoubleHighc_zpstngowaai.jpg

Easy two, that Hill misses.

DoubleHigh5_zps2qnlchf5.jpg

Wing option. Again Hill recognizes the spacing and starts diving to the rim. Defense adjusts so we get a DHO to Hood and another passing screen by Hill.

DoubleHigh6_zpsixcxzmk1.jpg

Hood makes a bad decision on this one, but look at those double down screens by Lyles and Gobert being set up for Joe. Lyles could slip that as well for an easy two (not likely though).

DoubleHigh7_zpsl3htdoau.jpg

The Lyles option.
DoubleHigh8_zpsskg5j4ap.jpg

Lyles screens and then gets a screen from Gobert.

DoubleHigh9_zpsjtzjpfnb.jpg

His man is now beat and Lyles reads where help comes from.

DoubleHigh10_zpsdmyd0gvg.jpg

So he reverses directions and uses Gobert as a screen while Hood could be wide open in the corner.

DoubleHigh11_zpsazatm9eu.jpg

Easy inside push shot ended the possession.