What's new

Quin Snyder Interview...

“We were trying to play pick-and-roll basically two-on-two…and the other guys were watching and clapping, and not clapping a whole lot because it wasn’t very good.”

Another exciting thing to consider for the off season: how much better a position Quin will be in. Last year coming in with a new staff, a new job, new city etc etc, not knowing the players and on and on. Now he knows the players well, what they need, what works and what doesn't.

One big adjustment that I know he made this year: remember how he really wanted the PG to push the ball fast upcourt early on? Seems to me that emphasis is gone, since they have become so good on D better to play a slower pace.

Another exciting thing to consider for the off season: how much better a position Quin will be in. Last year coming in with a new staff, a new job, new city etc etc, not knowing the players and on and on. Now he knows the players well, what they need, what works and what doesn't.

One big adjustment that I know he made this year: remember how he really wanted the PG to push the ball fast upcourt early on? Seems to me that emphasis is gone, since they have become so good on D better to play a slower pace.

"Play with a pass, play with pace, play with a purpose". The pace part definitely didn't last long.

Shall we paste the whole interview in the infamous "This season will prove Corbin's ineptitude" thread?

Last edited:
In a sport where an individual talent can have a greater affect on each game, it's easy to forget (maybe not for Jazz fans who went from 20+ years of a HOF coach to Tyrone Corbin literally overnight) how much of an impact coaching can have on a team. A lot of credit definitely has to be given to Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Exum, Millsap, etc, but how many coaches could have taken basically the same roster that was last defensively in the entire league & transform them into a unit that has been playing historically great defense over the last month or so? Not only that, but do it in less than a year, & in his first ever year as a head coach in the NBA? Not many, if any (other than QS apparently). Tyrone Corbin clearly had a hand in the team being last defensively just a year ago, but the transformation of this team's defense has been amazing. Not saying that QS is a HOF caliber coach or anything, just that I'm glad he's on our sidelines & that there aren't many coaches I'd rather have there than him (for this roster).

Last edited:
In a sport where an individual talent can have a greater affect on each game, it's easy to forget (maybe not for Jazz fans who went from 20+ years of a HOF coach to Tyrone Corbin literally overnight) how much of an impact coaching can have on a team. A lot of credit definitely has to be given to Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Exum, Millsap, etc, but how many coaches could have taken basically the same roster that was last defensively in the entire league & transform them into a unit that has been playing historically great defense over the last month or so? Not only that, but do it in less than a year, & in his first ever year as a head coach in the NBA? Not many, if any (other than QS apparently). Tyrone Corbin clearly had a hand in the team being last defensively just a year ago, but the transformation of this team's defense has been amazing. Not saying that QS is a HOF caliber coach or anything, just that I'm glad he's on our sidelines & that there aren't many coaches I'd rather have there than him (for this roster).

This is not to denigrate Jerry, who is a HOFer and was a great leader, but I think Quin is better, especially in player development. He's close to Pop level, or he will be -- and let's be real, Pop is the greatest NBA coach in league history, by far.

Back