What's new

Quotes from Raptors' forums-"The real question is how was Walker Kessler destroying us in the paint while head coaching at the same time"

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Pre Game

Yes to a W! Raptors are 50% on the hard road trip so far so this is doable

Utah is crazy team, tough place 2 win..fans are crazy.
Can't watch the game, work.
Should be a good game.

They are too good to losea lotof games but not good enough to win a lot. It's a frustrating team.

Damn never would've pictured Utah being 4th in the league in ppg

Crazy how quickly the jazz blew it up.... donovan Mitchell was a young up and coming superstar. Meanwhile we continue to hang on to fvv at all costs

å

1st Half

Man the Jazz are deadly from three

same ol sorry Craptors

Pascal ? Let him go. Looks weird ,his play.

Where Scottie at I ain’t ever seen someone get blocked 4 times in a row lmao

How dare you expect me to pay these prices for this product.

Another team whose size is killing us at the rim

Kessler is blocking EVERYTHING inside. Thanks Masai.

How many blocks now for Kessler? 10?

Watching Kessler play pisses me of.

Kessler has 7 blocks in 9 mins lol.

Weren't you saying draft picks are a waste on C’s?

Markkanen is outplaying Siakam big time.

We should’ve bought low when Markkanen was a free agent, but Nurse only wanted defense first players.

Well Kessler has completely dominated this game. And Markkanen has completely outplayed Siakam.

Fred giveth and he taketh away....and giveth again

The idea is you go small for more shooting, but we went small and didn't add any tangible skills.

Kessler destroying us and Koloko nowhere to be seen.

Kessler looks pretty quick to me.

Conley would actually get this team into a playoff birth

Lol Kessler wish we had him

Wtf is Kessler. He is beating everyone up. Wtf

First look at Kessler. Kid looks mad nice!

Kessler look good, who was it saying he can't move.

I might be in love with walker Kessler
What do I do?

Ahh yes forgot they had Sexton, perfect guy to trigger FVV.

kessler is a **** monster, wheres thad young?

Kessler's rim protection is monstrous.

Kessler might be wilt

Kessler is a lottery level player at this moment.

thank god we have thad for 1 more year instead of Walker.

I would trade anyone on this team not named Scottie straight up for Kessler.

Complete dominance by Kessler

theres someone scaring them within the 2 feet

I'm actually laughing right now. Especially with all the people that talked so much ****
Kessler in 8 minutes.....6 PTS / 4 REB / 4 BLKS
For reference Koloko had 4 blocks in all of January

No point even going into the paint on this team

Pascal is playing himself out of the all star game. His shooting splits have been so bad lately

Any time you hear Pascal scream OHHHH or COME ONNN, it's basically him telling the refs that there was indeed no foul on the play and that he just blew his out of control drive to the net.

Kessler got them boys shook in the paint.

Damn Rudy Gay is still in the league

How many picks does Utah have?

Sexland off the bench is embarrassment if riches

Bro is that Rudy gay lol

35 FGA in a quarter is incredible.

My eyes hurt watching the jazz feed with the black and yellow flashing cut scenes

It's wild what the Timberwolves gave up for Gobert.

If I coached an NBA team I would tell the players to not miss all of their layups. Nurse built different I guess.

The Jazz coach looks like Walker Kessler's much smaller big brother.

this team is horrific. No shooting, no athleticism or explosiveness, no ball movement, no cutting. Just stagnant long bois..

Just miserable basketball, I just want a new system, players, culture….

We have made 3 shots outside the key.

We are facing a team starting 3 C sized players, and our answer us to go inside because we have no shooting.

Lauri might be a guaranteed MIP this year right?

Please trade Siakam so I only have to hear those Pterodactyl screeches 2-4 times a year instead of 82.

Stat oddity
We have 8 steals, they have 0
We have 0 blocks, they have 8

dribble handoff, dribble handoff, dribble, dribble, brick.

If you don't love Walker Kessler you don't love Raptors basketball

People were talking about Conley's carcass on here, but the guy legitimately moves smoother and quicker than FVV who's 28 lol.

4 out of the following need to be traded: FVV, GTj, OG, and Siakim

Utah coach gives me less sleazy Matt Gaetz vibes

Fred's not even tall enough to ride a rollercoaster at Wonderland but we let him run our offense

Where can we find a sleeper player like Markanen to trade for?
Seems like a completely different player than when I watched him on Bulls/Cavs

Mike Conley still playing meaningful basketball in 2023 is wild lol.
That man has been 35 for like 4 years now.

Kessler on a rookie deal > Poeltl at 20M+

20 more shot attempts and 6 more free threes AT THE HALF and losing by 5. That is incredibly hard to do. Possibly historic even

We won the turnover battle 11-2,
We won the offensive rebounds battle 15-3
And yet are still down 5 which is pretty amazing.
None of those margins are sustainable at that level.

I guess Utah having a TS% of 69% is not sustainable either.

2nd Half

I love those plays where it’s an ISO for Fred or Pascal but they get denied, so the player with the ball stands there waiting for Fred/Pascal to get open while the other 3 guys watch like statues. And the whole thing takes so long that by the time Fred or Pascal does get the grenade it’s prayer time and 99% an empty possession. No plan B on the possession. No improvisation. No players cutting or screening. No read and react. Just mindless ISO cause it’s gotta be Fred or Pascal.

LOL how many cheap rebounds did raps get

I want to see who has the guts to attack Kessler he's like a better taller version of Purtle with a jump shot

We are getting soundly destroyed by a team half the board here thought was tanking this season and has like +7 picks on us and is in full development mode, but some posters here are still convinced we can build around our current core.

Mind-blowing delusion.

Even Markannen is blocking our shots.

Jazz Cheerleaders kill ours. We might have the worst dance crew.

8 second violation???

Is there a chance the Jazz are now buyers? Wouldn't mind getting our hands on those sweet Minnesota picks...

I wonder if Jordan cLrkson is gonna fight anyone today.

We simply have no answer for Mike Conley moderate speed chest passes and bounce passes.

Mike Conley moves better than FVV, damn.

Even our dance team is tanking

if your defensive scheme is letting dudes shoot open 3's, then maybe you should adjust that scheme nurse

Siakam not even bothering to look at his teammates.

Sexton looks feral out there lmfaooo.

Thad blocked by Kessler and then Kessler slam dunk on the other end… the script writes itself

we almost have as many offensive rebounds as defensive rebounds.

Kessler destroying Thad on both ends… this has to be one of Masais biggest mistakes

Kessler, a rookie center, is absolutely dominating this game on both ends

Holy. Utah just blew it up, has a roster full of role players and is destroying us. A team where a coach is trying to win playing its starters 40 mpg. Blow it up.

This Jazz team is a joy to watch.

This has been a real rough night for Scottie. Kessler is going to give him nightmares after tonight. Lol.

Walker Kessler looking like prime shaq

No amount of energy or legs makes up for the fact that Kessler is bigger than everyone on the court and isn't a stiff lol

And I don't have to tell you about the disparity in offensive looks. They're getting whatever they want

Jazz dumped Gobert for a kings ransom and found his replacement in the same summer.
Impressive.

105 points on 101 shots

Minnesota got Ainge'd

jazz built a better team than us by accident

This team needs to go on the Dr. Phil show.

Fred 30/10/10 is not something i saw coming lol

Heck of a clear out by Kessler… this guy a rookie or what?

NCAA defensive player of the year showing out. Who knew?

Utah just has talented scorers. Toronto has 1 or 2 guys who show up each game. The defense is AWOL. Let's just blow it up.

Fred is having a great game and we are thinking of his trade value lol

I will cry of laughter if this ruled a flagrant

doesn't even look like a foul...he went straight up and down

he didn't jump out at him, don't see how you can rule that a flagrant

Nick salivating at the thought of a flagrant, then his world comes crashing down lol.

Kessler didn't move forward an inch, that can't be a flagrant

Terrible call, Kessler goes straight up and down whilst Trent jumps forward into the defenders landing space. Not a foul, definitely not a flagrant, wish they could overturn their own calls on these reviews

Post Game

Close game again. Lost due to Jazz's length with 2x7 footers. Continue struggling on FTs. But all starters were at least double-double. Was a good game overall!

The Toronto Rebuilds. You can tell basketball is not fun right now for these guys. Time to trade, reset expectations and rebuild

Dropped win

Jazz deserves it.

Coaching is really questionable same playing style from the jazz most of the time with no reaction or changes from the Raptors

Playing the starters extra minutes again. Pascal was totally gassed when he fouled out. Just before there was a shot of him leaning against the goal post gasping for breath.

Good game. 128 pts after 4 is impressive. Unfortunately a tough loss.

I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired of losing all these close games. We can't close out a game if our lives depended on it. I want to see Downtin Jr play ffs. If we made our free throws, we would have won this game.

I better stop watching this team. Can't be feeling this pain while players are money.

Lost in the 1st quarter, so sad to watch, repetitive sad last minutes play in the 4th quarter

Same sh*t different day…

It’s one thing for Markkanen to finish with 28 points and 13 rebounds, continuing to cement his all star campaign. It’s another for rookie center, Walker Kessler to finish with 17 points, 14 rebounds and 7 blocks. Who by the way, has been fantastic and probably more affective than Rudy Gobert when you account for their price tag.

We shot 25 more times, shot 44% from 3, same FTs and still lost. How? We’re finding new ways to lose every game.

Because we missed at the rim, missed at the rim and missed at the rim 3-4X

How does Utah - a team that entered the season trying to lose games - have a better bench than Toronto, which was a team with top-4 seed aspirations?

110 shots to 83 IN REGULATION and lose!

That Utah offence was pretty though. Lots of stuff going on all over the floor on every possession. Polar opposite of Raptor ball.

This Jazz team is kinda good.

Raptors need to learn from the jazz and blow it up. Team has maxed out its potential

Markkanen and Kessler > Allen and Mobley.

Jazz closed the game with 2 rookies they didn't even draft

Who the **** said Koloko has more potential than kessler? Koloko will never be half the player this dude is.

Jazz have a 7 foot 21 year old C who shot 80% and posted 17pts, 14 reb and 7 blocks
We should get us one of those.

FYI instead of Kessler we drafted a g-league level scrub who doesn't even have the emotional maturity to play 3 games in the g-league without getting frustrated about it.

I know some people were talking down on Kessler like he’s not that good. But yeah…made me a believer tonight

kessler is a gonna be a good role player..but that's his ceiling. he's a bench player on a playoff team.
having said i'm glad he found a place in this league. players like him aren't valuable in todays' league so its good to see him find a good home.

Jazz went blow up mode this yr and still turned out to be the better team lol.

110 FGA's, shoot 44% from 3, 25 offensive rebounds and only 7 turnovers and still find a way to lose the game.

Nah, Kessler knows how to position himself really well, goes straight up. Nice clean blocks. Koloko would've fouled out lol.

The corpse of Rudy Gay would immediately be our best scorer off the bench.

Kessler is so controlled on defense. Reminds me of Tim Duncan the way he works his way into position for blocks. He has light feet and contests with good vertically.

I also still think Collin Sexton deserves a starting role somewhere. He is able to get to the rim with ease. Needs help on the playmaking but he is still only 24.

Jazz just had so much depth and Toronto had no legs on shots. VanVleet is still going out guns blazing.

People need to stop bringing up Kessler, clearly players who are talented and can contribute to winning are not what this team looks for.

We might be the worst small ball team in NBA history lol.

We built a small ball roster that has no shooting.

The real question is how was Walker Kessler destroying us in the paint while head coaching at the same time

Kessler is an elite shot blocker, one of the best in the league. He's a force on the inside. But if you want to know why 21 teams passed him up in the draft, check out how he defended on the perimeter tonight. There are no teams in this league competing for a championship that play guys or even have guys like Kessler on their roster.

Utah traded their top 2 players and ended up with a bigger and better shooting team than us AND still has a haul in picks.

Masai needs to find a way to wrestle some of those picks from Danny Ainge. It might be impossible.
Those unprotected Minnesota picks/swaps sure look sweet though.

final tally: raptors lose despite attempting 27 more field goal attempts than the jazz.

17 PTS 14 REB 7 BLK 8-10 FG First player with that statline or better on 80 FG% since Dwight Howard in 2009.

When the **** did he turn into DaWhite Howard

The 20 missed tip ins surely contributed to it lol

I really was willing to give the twolves the benefit of the doubt for the Gobert trade before

Quotes from around the league

Kessler boutta **** around and get a triple double without assists

This Jazz lineup is ****ing massive lol

That’s a lot of white people dancing to build me up butter cup

Kessler is unreal! Ship Gobert for 5 picks and a straight up better center than Gobert lol

Walker Kessler is an absolute problem

Kessler boomed us. we have longbois but Utah have tall(er) boys

sidenote: VanVleet stock going uppp with the 30+ point triple double

Really glad the last 10 seconds of the game took 20 minutes!

This was a wild game to watch. Raptors had a crazy 25 offensive rebounds, took 30 more shots, shot better from 3 AND were +9 in turnovers. Honestly no idea how they lost lmao

Height >> Length

Watching the Raptors try to hit layup after layup on these tall dudes was like Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the mountain and failing every time lol

for the love of god blow it up already

The best quotes of the season... by far. I will just list the ones that made me laugh out loud for real without comments... as the post would be too long with them.
Please trade Siakam so I only have to hear those Pterodactyl screeches 2-4 times a year instead of 82.
If you don't love Walker Kessler you don't love Raptors basketball
We simply have no answer for Mike Conley moderate speed chest passes and bounce passes.
Even our dance team is tanking
jazz built a better team than us by accident
The corpse of Rudy Gay would immediately be our best scorer off the bench.
People need to stop bringing up Kessler, clearly players who are talented and can contribute to winning are not what this team looks for.
The real question is how was Walker Kessler destroying us in the paint while head coaching at the same time

Kessler is an elite shot blocker, one of the best in the league. He's a force on the inside. But if you want to know why 21 teams passed him up in the draft, check out how he defended on the perimeter tonight. There are no teams in this league competing for a championship that play guys or even have guys like Kessler on their roster.
I’m not sure this person understands what the phrase “elite” means - there’s only a couple of those guys in the league. I was surprised at some of the comments like this though, rim protection is still valued in todays NBA

I’m not sure this person understands what the phrase “elite” means - there’s only a couple of those guys in the league. I was surprised at some of the comments like this though, rim protection is still valued in todays NBA
Raptors should know. They experienced it less than 24 hours ago.