What's new

Quotes from the Mavs' forums-"Gobert put on a defensive masterclass.Dude deserves to be an all star"

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
how is it possible
that the role of The Joker has been cast three separate times the last decade and Quin Snyder hasn’t landed it once?

The Jazz
They have been dominating.
Last 20 games: #1 OFFENSE 120.2 #5 DEFENSE 107.6 | Record: 18-2

Another one that got away
Bojan Bogdanovic has been a monster.

O'Neale Ingles Gobert
Tough matchup for the Mavs all star.

Number of .500 teams Utah beat in that span:

1 (one). And that is a home win against Indiana. Their last impressive win is against the Clippers on December 29th. They are 6-9 against teams .500 and higher, we are 7-11 with 2 OT losses plus a head scratching one against Toronto.

I think we are a bad matchup for them and going to win this fairly easily. We don’t play into their strengths KP is a terrible matchup for Gobert. He negates his size advantage and pulls him out of his comfort zone. They may decide to put Ingles on KP instead. Then Maxi will be a bad match up

Jazz is 17-3 at home. 2nd best record in the West (Clippers 19-4)
We are 15-5 at road. 2nd best in the West (Lakers 20-4)
It’s gonna be a bloodbath, that’s for sure.

Can they call Gobert for a foul?

Gobert for some reason is one of the most protected players in the league
It looks like he’s the NBA face for defense so refs allow him a lot more than everyone else.

kristaps feeling it from 3

Gobert is such a difference maker on both ends of the floor. I think Mavs would have been up by 20 if it wasn't for him.

Even with Boban they’re getting dominated on the boards... the ball seems to gravitate toward the Jazz at times.

They killed us on the boards in 2nd and 3rd Q

The Mormon Refs
Will not allow Mavs to win.

Looks like old school basketball

First one to a hundred wins

For the love of...
Please hit your FTs!!!!

We're shooting 52% from 3 while they're shooting 31%. We should have a larger lead.

God we just keep letting them get back in it.

This is a good situation for us.
We need to win a close one and this one should go down to the wire.

Man Gobert has our guys thinking
They are very passive inside

That was a nice recovery block by Rudy

stop letting bogdonavich get shots

mavs missed 2 ft's in a row so they won a free chicken sandwich or something

don't be scared to attack gobert in the paint

Choke choke choke choke and choke again. That’s the Mavs’ season in the clutch so far.

Keep losing winnable games through their own fault... this time mostly FTs.

How is it possible that we can teach DeAndre how to shoot free throws, but Luka shoots them like he’s blindfolded?

the force was with the Jazz in the 4th.

I'm sick of this beating the crap out of teams on their own court for 45 mins.

Can't believe I gave up 3 hours of a Saturday afternoon to get tortured by this crap.

Not sure what is worse, getting blown out by a team or losing in the last two minutes every game.

It worked though. Gobert just made an amazing recovery on Delon's drive. On the next play DFS got the offensive rebound, but missed the put back. On the play before Delon's drive, THJ made an open 3, and before that Luka made a close 2.

Gobert only got one offensive rebound and a bucket during that stretch. The rest of their offense was threes and fts.

Gobert killed us, plain and simple

Utah with 9 more FTs. Wished we had refs at home that would do the same for us.
Salty loser here tonight. Need to find a reason for this loss. So I pick the refs.

Thought that was a good play by Gobert….no goal tend.

Gobert wrecking havoc on the glass

When you are playing a big team who can rebound like Utah it makes sense to play your bigs also yet Boban Marjanovic only plays 6 minutes and Dallas was outrebounded by 10. Augh.

Really need to stop posting these right after another tough loss to a good team in the final minutes in where we lead most of the game and Luka doesnt score down the stretch jacking up nothing but 3 pointers and missing most of his free throws ....extremely frustrating...the big reason he will not be in contention for MVP and Mavs will just accept making playoffs as their big achievement this year....love our team...but frustrating as hell!

Luka was a complete non factor!
11-25 and once again disappeared in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter when the game was there to be won!

Mavs were 5 point underdogs to the hottest team in the NBA, and lost by 5, chill out people

It was an awesome game! Very impressed by the record high of 3-pointers

Luka was 20% for FT and 3P.
We know he can do 75%+ and 32%+... he's the Step Back Jack
He needs help (obviously) and you need him (even more obvious), so do something!

I'm smelling Hack-a-Luca in the playoffs.

There was Hack -a Shack...now theres Bonk -a -Donc

We are like 1-11 in clutch games

This team is hands down the worst 4th quarter team in the League and has to be one of the worst teams in history as far as ratio of how good a team is to how many leads it blows. Our offense is literally #1 in the League and controls these games by leading literally 90% of the game and then blows it at the end week after week.

This has baffled me all year. We’re ahead for most of the entire game and then we lose in the final minutes. It’s so, so frustrating.

Jazz are a solid team, defensively shut down luka for most of the second half. Gobert and Mitchell are disgustingly clutch which doesn’t help either

I can’t really say much. Utah is the 2nd best team in the league in 2020 so far and they answered every time we hit a 3. We will be seeing them again in the playoffs. Let’s just hope we can clean up a bit and get some real strong presence in the paint.

Gobert was having his way with us inside.

Let's all take a minute to thank Maxi Kleber for this loss. Missed 6 wide open corner 3s in the second half with no one within 10 feet of him. Luka drives and draws entire defense and kleber couldn't even make 1 corner 1 smfh.

Teams with dominant centers will destroy us. We need a legit center badly

1Q-leading 2Q-leading 3Q-leading 4Q-still leading...and then choking!

Luka's 3 point shooting gave me coronavirus

I’m so tired of this team not playing ANY damn defense....like can y’all at least try!!!! Sh*t drives me nuts

Absolutely disgraceful performance. In all my years as a fan of this team I’ve never seen a group of players so lazy and pathetic. I’m taking my fanhood to LA where it looks like they know how to run a basketball team

Same ****, different opponent. What's new?

Least clutch team ever

This team is so ****ing bad in the clutch it’s absolutely unbelievable.

Mavericks could’ve won this game if they’d just hit their free throws‍♂️credit to the Jazz though Rudy Gobert is a cheat code

Challenging Rudy Gobert in the paint, missing your free throws and turning the ball over in the last two minutes = loss. This team has some serious decision making/mental issues in the clutch.

Utah's good

Gobert is a defensive beast! Maxi such bad luck 4 missed open 3pt shots in a row. And Luka amazing 1st quarter, then it went downwards. Brunson looks like he is scared on the field. Very good performances again by Curry, Wright and Smith.

Gobert put on a defensive masterclass. Dude deserves to be an all star.

Luka doesn’t need to be the only one to step up. notice how the Jazz had clutch shots and plays from Mitchell, Gobert, Bogdanovich, and Ingles. KP, THJ, and even others like Curry should be expected to have success with leads in the closing minutes of the game.

Gobert averaging 130 offensive rating and 100 Def rating. Yeesh

All star that man

I know this might shock some of you, but it turns out that driving the ball on the best rim protector in the world is a bad strategy for winning basketball games.

I loved that time in the 4th that our best scoring option was Jackson. Don’t know about y’all.... but I love sitting my top 3 scoring options all at the same time. Gotta get them rested for when they enter the game down 5 with four minutes to go after blowing a 20 point lead.

Games like this against legit 5s make me optimistic for WCS being a legit 7ft C for us. Gobert had his way with Maxi tonight down low and wore him down. Watch all of the missed open 3s they were all front rimmed... this is a game where Dwights energy was missed.

Man Gobert just destroyed WCS couple of days ago. Just look at the stats from the Utah-GSW game. Kleber is the better defender and i believe WCS will be just a bench player for us according to Rick's pregame interview.

Based just on this game, we looked like the better team. Utah just had the best player today, Gobert played a perfect 2 way game and the Jazz deservedly won.

This is why Mavs doesnt have home court advantage. Hear the crowd? Our crowd is so terribly quite most of the time. That crowd is so intimidating.

Imagine a clutch version of Luka

This one really hurts. The defense actually played well minus JJax and Kp. KP can't just tally 2 rebounds to counter Goberts 17. Luka's FT's are really off and needs to be addressed immediately by the coaches.

Two things I’ve learned today

1. Luka needs to practice free throws

2. Gobert is an absolute ****ing monster

Gobert made all the difference. He is the clear answer to all those who question whether true centers are still a valuable asset in the NBA.

Overrated?

If anything they are still underrated.

A 19-2 stretch (I believe that’s what they are now) is nothing to scarf at in the NBA, regardless of who they play

Gobert IS the best shotblocker and defensive C in the game- and they now have surrounded him with a ton of offensive firepower….

With that said, this was a very fun game- but Gobert’s efficiency and rebounding kept them in the game long enough for us to show that we aren’t able to protect a lead in the 4th again…

Gobert was the difference in this game.
His rim protection was incredible. Jazz are a good team. Have a lot of depth.

Man for having a team that's playing really well and a young player doing **** only people like magic Johnson have every done they are sure quick to turn on them. ****ing ingrates.

Games like this against legit 5s make me optimistic for WCS being a legit 7ft C for us. Gobert had his way with Maxi tonight down low and wore him down. Watch all of the missed open 3s they were all front rimmed... this is a game where Dwights energy was missed.

Haha, good luck with that

Overall their fans gave Jazz a lot of credit. I think they were being too harsh on their own team. Dallas has a good team and is deeper than I thought they were. I just don't think they have learned how to win the big ones yet. Jazz were bad last year winning close games and this year they have been pretty good about winning close games. I thought they out played the Jazz for almost the whole game but the Jazz stepped up big in the fourth and made the key plays to win.

Interesting that someone pointed out that we were 17-3 at home. I hadn’t realized that. We’ve played 21 games at home and 24 on the road. Home winning% .857 and road .583. Of our remaining 37 games, 20 are at home and 17 are on the road.

Good stuff.

I think we are a bad matchup for them and going to win this fairly easily. We don’t play into their strengths KP is a terrible matchup for Gobert. He negates his size advantage and pulls him out of his comfort zone. They may decide to put Ingles on KP instead. Then Maxi will be a bad match up

I love how people still think Rudy can't guard the perimeter and the Jazz are screwed if you can take him away from the rim hahaha

Whenever I read the mormon ref thing I wonder if they have ever watched an NBA game. Every team has their own refs? I lived in Houston and that was what they Rocket fans always said about playing in Utah so I am probably overreacting.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the Mavs were struggling this much in the clutch this year. Kind of reminds me of the Jazz last season.

I think some of their fans need to be a little more patient, there's no rush as far as their time line goes. They've got a top five player who's only in his second year ffs.

True... but chronically pissing away wins right at the end of the game has to be maddening.
But with 28 wins that still isn't that many losses.

I didn't realize the Mavs were struggling this much in the clutch this year. Kind of reminds me of the Jazz last season.

I think some of their fans need to be a little more patient, there's no rush as far as their time line goes. They've got a top five player who's only in his second year ffs.

I was thinking that as well. Granted, Luka's been doing professionally for a while now, but give him and the previous team culture time to adjust. The kids only 20 FFS. They've got some GOOD pieces in place and Luka is a maestro. It just some time in the oven it all. So STFU and enjoy the process.

Weird how hard they were on Luka. He was clearly off his usual game and not sure if it is our defense, altitude or maybe he was sick or something. You have generational talent on your hands who will be clearly the best player in NBA for years and you bash him for one bad game? And I though yammers was bad.

Absolutely disgraceful performance. In all my years as a fan of this team I’ve never seen a group of players so lazy and pathetic. I’m taking my fanhood to LA where it looks like they know how to run a basketball team
Along with a million other bandwagon fans who are climbing out of the sewers to support the Lakers now that they're good again.

Totally! That’s what stood out to me. They’re trashing their team for choking, as if they’re playing with Tracy McGrady, Harden, Blake Griffin, or CP3, guys with long careers filled with choking.

They almost had us and they’re playing without arguably their best big, Powell. Not sure why Mav fans are upset this year. They’re a supremely dangerous playoff team in in the most competitive western conference ever with their star player still too young to legally drink. and this comes after nearly 20 years of championship level basketball with Dirk. How many losing seasons have they had in the past 25 years? I’d be curious to know. Mavs should just relax and enjoy this season. Luka is putting on a show and their rebuild is years ahead of schedule. We went through a dark time between stockton and Malone and dwill/Cbooz era. We then went through another dark time until we got things right with hayward and Gobert. Things could’ve gotten real bad but fortunately we scored with Mitchell or we’d be in another dark time.

When I think about it, The Mavericks and Spurs have been probably the most competitive franchises in the NBA in my lifetime. Sure, the Lakers, Warriors, and Heat have won more championships. But all of those franchises have gone through some nasty droughts. When Dallas had one bad season, they got Luka. And now in just their second year, they’re a playoff team and arguably just another role player and experience away from another championship.