What's new

Racism in America

Good article. Sums it up well.

I also posted this in the Utah Jazz forum (debated where to put it - and we obviously came to different conclusions). It's a great article.

Good article. I’m all over the map on this. From strong agreement in parts to strong disagreement in others.

For example. I strong agree with we need to listen, actually listen. And we need to stand up and push back every time we see/hear racism. How we have the option of blending in. And being more informed.

All amazing, true points.

I do not agree that I am responsible for what past generations did. I am partly reufor what my generation has continued to allow to happen. There’s an important, to me at least, nuance there.

I also do not believe that this mandates I fall in line with any presented legislation on “racial justice”. I can listen, learn, oppose and still not find particular legislation helpful or right.

Good article top to bottom. Glad he wrote it.

No one asked but when I hear of crazy stories about something like the Thabo incident is “what the hell happened?!”

Talking about race as a white person is so hard, because it is difficult to get it right. As near as I can tell, this seems pretty close.

I also posted this in the Utah Jazz forum (debated where to put it - and we obviously came to different conclusions). It's a great article.
Yeah well you at least put some thought into it. Lol. I just immediately posted it here. I think you were obviously right to post it in the jazz forum based on responses.

Mods, please feel free to close this thread and point folks to the JazzGal thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

All these articles keep telling me I need to do more. I dont think there is much, if anything, I can do in my day-to-day life to help minimize what racism remains. I feel like I'm being told I'm guilty of something I should be atoning for or righting a wrong that I can't.

Yeah well you at least put some thought into it. Lol. I just immediately posted it here. I think you were obviously right to post it in the jazz forum based on responses.

Mods, please feel free to close this thread and point folks to the JazzGal thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app
Merge is what you are looking for ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

All these articles keep telling me I need to do more. I dont think there is much, if anything, I can do in my day-to-day life to help minimize what racism remains. I feel like I'm being told I'm guilty of something I should be atoning for or righting a wrong that I can't.

No one person can "solve" anything of this magnitude. It takes a collective effort, and each of us can educate ourselves. Good for Kyle for recognizing his part, his responsibility.

Last edited:

It can be little things. On the train the other day, a guy ticket blew out of his hand just before the train arrived. If he's on the train without a ticket, it's an $80 fine. He got on anyway because he couldn't be late. I told him that I saw what happened, and would stand up for him if we were checked for tickets. That's the kind of treatment I get all the time, but rarely see offered to black people.

It can be little things. On the train the other day, a guy ticket blew out of his hand just before the train arrived. If he's on the train without a ticket, it's an $80 fine. He got on anyway because he couldn't be late. I told him that I saw what happened, and would stand up for him if we were checked for tickets. That's the kind of treatment I get all the time, but rarely see offered to black people.

It would be bizarre here if someone didn't, but its Utah and we are known for being helpful. I've been told just that on the train by several out-of-staters who've said they expressed concern to someone back home about finding their way around and were told "its Utah, just ask people. They are helpful".

The people I know from big cities with inner-city poverty problems have expressed different mentalities though. They seem more callous about strangers in general. For example, one guy was joking about a blind lady in a mechanical wheelchair wondering lost down the middle of the road and he wouldn't help her because he was afraid of getting sued. People from here are opposite of that in my experience, no matter skin color. But I'm sure black people here would see it at least somewhat different. My native friend does, always commenting when I'd walk home drunk that I could only do it without fear of being arrested because I'm not brown.

There was a crazy situation in Salt Lake today where a police chase ended with a crash into an alterations shop. I don't know the nationality of the owner, but he was having to have his son help with the interview. The man was badly shaken up, and one thing that his son said was that his father was so grateful that the police hadn't thought he was a party to the crime. I'll bet few white men would have even thought that was a possibility. It is a whole different mindset that is needed when you are a person of color.

And why do I keep responding in this thread instead of the one I started?

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Good article. I’m all over the map on this. From strong agreement in parts to strong disagreement in others.

...I do not agree that I am responsible for what past generations did. I am partly reufor what my generation has continued to allow to happen. There’s an important, to me at least, nuance there.

I sort of took it to mean that we are responsible for ensuring that we don't perpetuate the behavior of past generations

overall, I thought it was a very thoughtful essay

I posted it in a facebook forum with a lot of black people that focuses on issues of racism, some who post there are quite militant and I was hoping to see how it registered with them, but other than a couple "likes" there were no comments

now I want to read the responses in the other thread