What's new

Raja Bell details Jerry Sloan/Deron Williams breakup with Jazz

Raja tells it a bit differently than what had been leaked by others. IIRC. Deron had been ignoring play calls for a long time. It wasnt just the Chicago game. And i read at the time Jerry wanted to discilpne Deron but was shot down by KOC and Greg. So the Chicago game was just the end of the road.

As for the trade, no big deal. I'll bet KOC was waiting for the league office to approve the deal before contacting Deron or his agent.

In the end it all worked out great...Sloan was an old-fashioned curmudgeon who had reached the end of his shelf life. And Deron would have been dealt that summer anyway since he wouldnt give a straight answer about staying with the Jazz.

And we got Favors, who is still helping us today.

Sloan may have already had early stages of dimentia setting in, it starts very subtle very early as well... kinda messes with judgement

petty jerry sloan and bush league of the jazz fo to not even tell deron about the trade.
No because it wasn’t just that night that led up to it. Deron became an arrogant *******, and with social media getting to the player first is super hard to do in the modern NBA.

Rubio is also a remnant of the Deron trade. Meanwhile, the Nets have nothing.
This reminds me of a really cool infographic someone had put together that was basically like a family tree of Jazz assets. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find it?

This reminds me of a really cool infographic someone had put together that was basically like a family tree of Jazz assets. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find it?
I remember it, but have no idea where to find it.

Jerry would have been able handle this situation in his younger years . I don't think Jerry had much in the tank even before the dwill situation.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, I guess he was tired and also realized he didn't have the juice anymore to keep in line a star player. He would probably kick DWill's *** in the early 2000s

Yeah, I guess he was tired and also realized he didn't have the juice anymore to keep in line a star player. He would probably kick DWill's *** in the early 2000s
Not just the juice; Larry H. was not around to have his back. Greg and KOC obviously didn't give Jerry the power that Larry had. Sloan was no longer emperor. He couldn't just demand players be shown the door as he had in the past. It's kind of funny KOC and Greg came to the same conclusion (Deron had to go) after losing their HOF coach. In the end, it may have been the tipping point for KOC being kicked upstairs and replaced by Lindsey.

So Jerry Sloan quit because D-Will ran a mirrored version of the play Sloan called because he was aware that it was the preferred play of the bigs on the team?

Yeah, sounds like Jerry was losing it. Too bad D-Will had to take the brunt of that.

Jerry and Deron were both intense competitors. And they were both willing to speak their minds with little to no filter. It's not surprising that an argument could happen between two people like that. It was sad that things ended the way they did for that version of the Jazz. But I never blamed either guy. I'm a big fan of both and have respect for what both guys did for the Utah Jazz.

Something not really considered, but very much could have been part of this is dimentia.

It starts almost unnoticble... less patience and makes decision making slightly less rational. Can gradually onset over years.

This may have had touches of that going on.