What's new

Rank the current Jazz trade assets

The Blue Elephant

Here is my top 10. Assuming all UTA draft picks are unprotected if traded.

1) Rudy Gobert - Big man. great rebounds, elite defense, good passer/FT shooter makes him decent offense. Young

2) Derrick Favors. Young. Great contract. great rebounds/defense and decent offense.

3) Gordon Hayward - Big contract but he is locked up and doing as good as ever. Type of player any team in the NBA could use

4) 2015 Draft pick. This years lottery pick. Gonna be around #7 looks like most likely.

(large gap here)

5) 2016 draft pick. Probably wont be high as this years but likely lottery and isn't as recent.

6) Dante Exum. #5 pick in last years "loaded" draft class. Shooting 21% last 10 games. Disappointment so far in some ways but met expectations in others. I was hoping he would be #1 on this list.

7) 2017 draft pick

8) 2017 GS draft pick. Probably would be predicted to be a worse pick considering GSW's rank and age at this point.

9) Alec Burks. Good player on a good contract. I don't think he is valued around the league as much as jazz fanz values him.

10) Trey Burke. Something had to be #10 on my list. Was terrible last year and hasn't improved much this year. Last game was one of the best games he had and he scored 19 points on 20 attempts. Not good but recent history of pg's starting bad and developing after many years helps him but I don't think many of them were as bad at shooting, playing defense, and short stature as Trey Burke. What Trey has going for him besides his age is he has decent assist/to ratio and a large wingspan I guess.

Depending on my mood I might rank differently. 2, 3 and 4 are almost interchangeable to me as well as and 5-10 could be switched with each other as well. If I were to extend this list to 11 it would probably be the 2018 draft pick.

Last edited:
Rudy
Gordon
Favs
Exum
2015 utah pick
2016 utah pick
2017 utah pick
2017 GSW pick
2017-8 OKC pick
Burks
Hood
Burke
The 45 players we own in Europe
The 85 second round picks we have

Here is my top 10. Assuming all UTA draft picks are unprotected if traded.

1) Rudy Gobert - Big man. great rebounds, elite defense, good passer/FT shooter makes him decent offense. Young

2) Derrick Favors. Young. Great contract. great rebounds/defense and decent offense.

3) Gordon Hayward - Big contract but he is locked up and doing as good as ever. Type of player any team in the NBA could use

4) 2015 Draft pick. This years lottery pick. Gonna be around #7 looks like most likely.

(large gap here)

5) 2016 draft pick. Probably wont be high as this years but likely lottery and isn't as recent.

6) Dante Exum. #5 pick in last years "loaded" draft class. Shooting 21% last 10 games. Disappointment so far in some ways but met expectations in others. I was hoping he would be #1 on this list.

7) 2017 draft pick

8) 2017 GS draft pick. Probably would be predicted to be a worse pick considering GSW's rank and age at this point.

9) Alec Burks. Good player on a good contract. I don't think he is valued around the league as much as jazz fanz values him.

10) Trey Burke. Something had to be #10 on my list. Was terrible last year and hasn't improved much this year. Last game was one of the best games he had and he scored 19 points on 20 attempts. Not good but recent history of pg's starting bad and developing after many years helps him but I don't think many of them were as bad at shooting, playing defense, and short stature as Trey Burke. What Trey has going for him besides his age is he has decent assist/to ratio and a large wingspan I guess.

Depending on my mood I might rank differently. 2, 3 and 4 are almost interchangeable to me as well as and 5-10 could be switched with each other as well. If I were to extend this list to 11 it would probably be the 2018 draft pick.

Pretty much agree with this, but Trevor Booker is probably above a few of those draft picks, and definitely above Burke. Booker is a decent player on a cheap, partially guaranteed deal.

If Curry has more ankle problems over the next 2 years, that Golden State pick could become really valuable in a hurry.

So our draft pick 2 years from now is worth more than Exum? Not a chance.

How low of a FG% does Dante Exum have to shoot in order for his stock to go down? 0.5 FTA in 20MPG? 21% FG % last 10 games.

If Dante went to the line 0.3 times a game and shot 15% how bought then?

I am not saying Dante is a Myck Kabongo (decent sized, athletic PG who didn't even get drafted, man he should have declared for draft sooner since young and raw=good). However with how deep the west, most teams would be willing to bet that UTA is in the lottery again next year and I think most teams take that over Dante at this point.

Exum is worth more than this years pick. Gms and coaches around the league really like him including our own. Nobody I here talk about him (except angry jazzfanz) dont think he has potential still to be a star in this league. This board expected more from him for some reason, that no one else did.

Also I would swap Favors and Hayward and not think about it. The argument between Hayward and Gobert for being our most valuable asset is a good one to me, I could be convinced either way.

Exum is worth more than this years pick. Gms and coaches around the league really like him including our own. Nobody I here talk about him (except angry jazzfanz) dont think he has potential still to be a star in this league. This board expected more from him for some reason, that no one else did.

Also I would swap Favors and Hayward and not think about it. The argument between Hayward and Gobert for being our most valuable asset is a good one to me, I could be convinced either way.

So my question to you is how bad does Dante have to shoot before his stock goes down? Is he still worth more than a UTA unprotected pick next year if he shoots 0%?

1 - Gobert - Duh.
2 - Hayward - Carrying the Jazz. Great contract.
3 - Favors - Silent foundation. Great contract.
4 - Exum - Potential up the wazoo. He is a child that went from crappy HS ball to the NBA. He will shock the doubters next year, and he won't even be that good.
5 - 2015 draft pick - Our last lottery pick for awhile. Enjoy it succas.
6 - Burks - 6th man of the year potential. Valuable. Decent contract.
7 - OKC 2017 pick - may be a lottery pick.
8 - Burke
9 - 2016 pick -pick in the 14-16 range.
10 - Utah 2017 pick - crappy pick
11 - GS 2017 pick - crappy pick.

Nothing else of any value.

Rudy
Gordon
Favs
Exum
2015 utah pick
2016 utah pick
2017 utah pick
2017 GSW pick
2017-8 OKC pick
Burks
Hood
Burke
The 45 players we own in Europe
The 85 second round picks we have

Sounds about right... I think Burks and Hood might have higher value than the GSW and OKC picks

So my question to you is how bad does Dante have to shoot before his stock goes down? Is he still worth more than a UTA unprotected pick next year if he shoots 0%?

There is nothing Exum can do this year to lower his value outside of getting badly injured. He has played more games this year than the previous 5 years of his life. He hit a wall, maybe he gets a resurgence because of the all-star break and Gobert in the lineup. But either way he is not going to lose value to other teams with poor play right now. Everyone has seen what he is capable of. His shot will improve, he will bulk up, his handle will improve and he will be allowed to play more freely and not stress about running plays correctly more and more next year.

1 - Gobert - Duh.
2 - Hayward - Carrying the Jazz. Great contract.
3 - Favors - Silent foundation. Great contract.
4 - Exum - Potential up the wazoo. He is a child that went from crappy HS ball to the NBA. He will shock the doubters next year, and he won't even be that good.
5 - 2015 draft pick - Our last lottery pick for awhile. Enjoy it succas.
6 - Burks - 6th man of the year potential. Valuable. Decent contract.
7 - OKC 2017 pick - may be a lottery pick.
8 - Burke
9 - 2016 pick -pick in the 14-16 range.
10 - Utah 2017 pick - crappy pick
11 - GS 2017 pick - crappy pick.

Nothing else of any value.

Pretty good list although I think Hood is of value and would be above the okc and gs picks. I would also put our 2017 pick above okc pick since the okc pick is lottery protected.

The question at hand is rank the Jazz's CURRENT trade assets. Since there is a 0% chance of us trading Rudy, Hayward, or Exum currently, they are not trade assets and hence should not be on this list.

I can see Favors having a minuscule probability of being traded since his contract is so good and probably the only player we could potentially get more value from. So he'd be first.

Still the probability of Favors being traded is so low currently that I also would exclude him from this list of "trade assets".

Everyone knew he was a project WHEN he was drafted, and yet some fans seem really surprised that he is exactly what we already knew he was. As a project, he's already NBA caliber on the defensive end, or he wouldn't even see the floor, let alone start. So yeah, when you draft a project and he plays like a project, the bottom doesn't just fall out of his trade value. Exum's value is and was based on potential, which hasn't changed.

Everyone knew he was a project WHEN he was drafted, and yet some fans seem really surprised that he is exactly what we already knew he was. As a project, he's already NBA caliber on the defensive end, or he wouldn't even see the floor, let alone start. So yeah, when you draft a project and he plays like a project, the bottom doesn't just fall out of his trade value. Exum's value is and was based on potential, which hasn't changed.

So you and Broncostor admit that even if he shoots 0% he is still worth more than an unprotected UTA pick next year.

DaShawn Stevensen, Shaun Livingston, Sebastian Telfair, J. R. Smith, Martel Webster, C.J. Miles, and Louis Williams were all guards that were drafted at an even younger age than Dante Exum. All of them shot better their rookie years. What makes you think Dante is going to be that one guy who outperforms them all?

Also I want to add that I am rooting for Exum and hope he lives up to his Kobe Bryant like potential but can't help but get discouraged by just poor shooting and lack of getting to the line.

Last edited: