What's new

rape allegations against Blackhawks Patrick Kane

moevillini

the Chief Old D'oh
Contributor
just curious, is this news anywhere else but Chicago (and perhaps the Buffalo area where he lives and the incident occurred)?

Yeah. This story has drawn my attention, and I'm not a hockey fan at-all. It seems the chain of custody might have been broken, or that was the claim.. I have a guess at what happened, but I'm not comfortable disclosing it til i feel more certain. (The weekend's about to start so I'm not getting into it too much now)

I've seen it mentioned in a few places I didn't expect to.. I live on the outskirts of the Media capital of the world though. Was wondering in what capacity(and if), this story would show up here.

Yeah. This story has drawn my attention, and I'm not a hockey fan at-all. It seems the chain of custody has been broken. I have a guess at what happened, but I'm not comfortable disclosing it til i feel more certain. (The weekend's about to start so I'm not getting into it too much now)

I've seen it mentioned in a few places I didn't expect to.. I live right next to the Media captial of the world though. Was wondering in what capacity(and if), this story would show up here.

The rape kit evidence bag was tampered with.. and got sent to the accusers mother in the mail...

what happened with the evidence bag is this:

The one that the mother "found" in her doorway was one she brought home with her when she picked up her daughter in the hospital. It was supposed to be for the victim's sweater and nothing else. Another rape kit was taken for the other evidence. Then a couple weeks later she tried to make it appear that evidence had been tampered.

...Sedita said the mother was given the bag at a hospital when her daughter was examined, but it never contained a rape kit. The examining nurse gave the mother the bag after learning the accuser changed her top before going to the hospital, Sedita said. The mother was to put the top in the bag and turn it into authorities, but never did, Sedita said....

https://www.readingeagle.com/article/20150925/AP/309259792

what happened with the evidence bag is this:

The one that the mother "found" in her doorway was one she brought home with her when she picked up her daughter in the hospital. It was supposed to be for the victim's sweater and nothing else. Another rape kit was taken for the other evidence. Then a couple weeks later she tried to make it appear that evidence had been tampered.

https://www.readingeagle.com/article/20150925/AP/309259792

Yeah I kinda typed my initial response quickly and didn't edit it fast enough. Safe to say It seems(from what I've seen) like the accusers lawyer is trying to drum up grounds for a civil case.

I've heard Patrick Kane is a known dirtbag in Buffalo.

I genuinely wonder; If he was black, would this be covered the same?

another thing I genuinely wonder is why did the Duke Lacrosse Rape case seemingly get much more publicity than this.. ?

I know nothing about the case, but if you're looking for fairness in the media you're always going to be disappointed.

come on bro. If he were black, he'd be playing football, not hockey. Everybody knows that's not a brother sport. There's like three of them in the entire league.

Yeah I kinda typed my initial response quickly and didn't edit it fast enough. Safe to say It seems(from what I've seen) like the accusers lawyer is trying to drum up grounds for a civil case.

I've heard Patrick Kane is a known dirtbag in Buffalo.

You're asking if there would be more media attention to it if the accused was a black man?

Just looking for clarification. I haven't heard anything about this story at all, don't follow hockey, don't know the guy's name or anything about the case.

another thing I genuinely wonder is why did the Duke Lacrosse Rape case seemingly get much more publicity than this.. ?

'cause it was white preppy college kids raping a black stripper if memory serves. the race and class dichotomy there is key imo.

the kane is incident is some rich pro *******, the type we're all sort of sick and tired of raping some other girl, who (without following the case) went to his house and was probably a hanger-on or of the ilk.

I entered this thread with intentions of not saying anything too shocking, and certainly failed. :mad:

I'm not really a pull the race card type of guy, either. What I meant to say was, I can't quite put my finger on why the media coverage of this story seems a bit suppressed.

I pride myself in being able to smell ******** a mile away, This story might involve a few layers of ********(or just 1).. I'm sure of that.

For those totally unaware. Patrick Kane is like a perennial MVP candidate/one of the best young players in hockey, his team won the cup last year.

If an NFL or NBA player with equivalent star-power(in said sport) had a case like this going on, I suspect it'd be one of those stories where the news covers the minutia like its breaking news.

I entered this thread with intentions of not saying anything too shocking, and certainly failed. :mad:

I'm not really a pull the race card type of guy, either. What I meant to say was, I can't quite put my finger on why the media coverage of this story seems a bit suppressed.

I pride myself in being able to smell ******** a mile away, This story might involve a few layers of ********(or just 1).. I'm sure of that.

For those totally unaware. Patrick Kane is like a perennial MVP candidate/one of the best young players in hockey, his team won the cup last year.

If an NFL or NBA player with equivalent star-power(in said sport) had a case like this going on, I suspect it'd be one of those stories where the news covers the minutia like its breaking news.
So which situation do you think is better? For the media to bombard us with every possible detail and speculation about a situation like this, or for the coverage to be less thorough?

So which situation do you think is better? For the media to bombard us with every possible detail and speculation about a situation like this, or for the coverage to be less thorough?

Better isn't really what I'm looking for. I'm not a SJW, nor do I have 'a horse in the race'. I'm just an outside observer - with a free ticket to the freak-show like everyone else.

I haven't really thought into it like that, my opinion obviously doesn't mean ****.. What's drawn my attention is the facts, or the purported ones..

I'm just saying, something about the coverage just seems suppressed to me. call it a gut feeling.... I think some of the big media companies MIGHT have a minor horse in the race, maybe..

We shall see how this progresses.

Better isn't really what I'm looking for. I'm not a SJW, nor do I have 'a horse in the race'. I'm just an outside observer - with a free ticket to the freak-show like everyone else.

I haven't really thought into it like that, my opinion obviously doesn't mean ****.. What's drawn my attention is the facts, or the purported ones..

I'm just saying, something about the coverage just seems suppressed to me. call it a gut feeling.... I think some of the big media companies MIGHT have a minor horse in the race, maybe..

We shall see how this progresses.
I can't imagine what that minor horse might be. Unless someone comes up with a compelling theory I'm simply going to be grateful that the media is not treating us to every seedy detail of this story.

...I'm not really a pull the race card type of guy, either. What I meant to say was, I can't quite put my finger on why the media coverage of this story seems a bit suppressed….

...For those totally unaware. Patrick Kane is like a perennial MVP candidate/one of the best young players in hockey, his team won the cup last year….

he's actually won the Stanley Cup three times with the Blackhawks - in 2010, 2013 and this year. He does have a bit of a reputation for being sort of a disorderly drunk - - and perhaps a bit of a cad towards women - - but I think this is the first time he's been accused of something like this.

I think perhaps the fact that it occurred in a small town in upstate NY, not in a major metro area, might be part of the reason it may seem the media coverage is rather light. Not a lot of national media hanging around Buffalo, New York. And I also think hockey is followed far less than the other "major" sports so fewer people know the players (as evidenced by the comments in the thread).

As far as comparisons to the Duke rape allegations, that was something that occurred on the campus of a high profile, highly selective university - - if it had happened at Grand Valley State there probably would have been far less publicity.

Obviously since I'm in Chicago, this is a BIG news story here - - and I was just wondering what coverage, if any, it's getting elsewhere.

Of course, now we have the Cubs in the play-offs so this story will probably take a backset to the Cubbies. (full disclosure: they've earned the right to a play-in game, so as far as I'm concerned, they're not really in the play-offs yet, but I guess I'm splitting hairs since even if it's a play-in game, it is still the "post season")