What's new

Raptors announcer dissed a local rapper named Wall-E by saying "He's not Drake. Thats for sure"...

CitizenofCapua

...and Wall-E who is a local rapper and Gay's friend apparently, get upset and that lead to a very rare and hillarious incident at Wizards-Raptors game. Just read this and watch these two videos and express your opinion about who was right. Wale just overreacted too much or Raptors play-by-play announcer Matt Devlin was "disrespecting" him? Discuss...

Details;
Apparently Toronto Raptors announcer Matt Devlin isn't up to speed on the Washington, D.C., hip-hop scene.

After rapper Wale engaged in some back and forth banter with Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay in the first half Toronto's 96-88 win over the Wizards in D.C. Tuesday night, Devlin questioned the musician's relevance before offering up the biggest salvo in the history of Canadian sports announcer rap beefs."He's no Drake!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9_Bi2nwvB5I

Devlin probably didn't realize just how much of a burn that was, as both Drake and Wale released hugely successful mixtapes around the same time in the late '00s before signing major label deals.

Wale referenced plenty of D.C. sports teams and athletes in his lyrics and has become a fixture at games of all the local pro teams. While Toronto native Drake's career has blown up (to the point that Raptors announcers are well-versed in his oeuvre), Wale's studio albums haven't had nearly as much impact.

Someone must have let the musician know about Devlin's comments because he issued this ominous tweet before apparently heading over to the Raptors' broadcast booth.

Via @Wale:

@MattDevlinRaps watch ur mouth

24xeur7.jpg

Wale told theWashington Post after the game that, "I was just introducing myself, that's all. Nah, I wasn't angry. I was like, you're not from here, you don't know. You don't know."

For his part, Gay tweeted after the game that he and Wale are friends. After Raptors fans taunted him for the incident, Wale explained his reaction on Twitter in the early hours Wednesday.

Via @Wale:

On the Internet when u defend urself ur criticized for being less of a man. There's NO honor in defending yourself,or your name. Somebody call u out your name . And you confront them . YOU wrong . So who u cheerin for the people who take insults in stride? Since when
And thus ends possibly the most interesting thing to ever occur at a Raptors-Wizards game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/20/nba-raptors-announcer-disses-wale-rudy-gay/1932329/

BTW if there is anyone in the minority of "the people who knows Wale", let us know please.

Last edited: