Kanter or Green

• Kanter

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Green

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
About what I figured - i.e. no cap space UNLESS we renounce rights to Kanter and Booker. Do you know the timeline for offering and rescinding qualifying offers? I would assume since contracts can't be signed until July 10th and teams start talking to FA's on July 1st, that gives Utah a window to see if any top-tier FA's would agree to a contract. If one did, then the QO to Kanter can be withdrawn. They could also renounce Booker and then turn around and use the MLE to sign him to a longer-term deal.

From Larry Coons https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44 :

"In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player between the day following the last game of the NBA Finals and June 30."

"A qualifying offer automatically expires on October 1, unless it is extended by the team (which is rarely done). A qualifying offer cannot be extended past March 1. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer expires -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept his qualifying offer."

"To summarize, a restricted free agent essentially has five options:

• He can accept his prior team's qualifying offer, play for one season, and become a free agent again the following summer.
  • He can accept his prior team's maximum qualifying offer (if applicable, and if one has been submitted) and play under a long-term contract at the maximum salary.
  • He can negotiate a new contract with his prior team that is independent of the qualifying offer or maximum qualifying offer.
  • He can sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his prior team is given the opportunity to match.
  • If he doesn't sign a qualifying offer, a contract, or an offer sheet for one year, his prior team can submit a new qualifying offer (or maximum qualifying offer), and the player becomes a restricted free agent again the following offseason."

Oh, and Draymond Green isn't nearly the player Kanter is. Green is basically a kick-out option in the Warriors' spread offense. He plays a role like Marvin Williams.

Yep. Other than the fact that he's an infinitely better defender, passer, and leader. Yep, no difference.

Yep. Other than the fact that he's an infinitely better defender, passer, and leader. Yep, no difference.
They are both better at some things than the other.
Kanter is a better rebounder and scorer in the paint and will probably be the better outside shooter (maybe already is)
Green is the better defender and passer.

If salaries are similar, then I will go with the younger, bigger (more rare) player with more upside potential.

They are both better at some things than the other.
Kanter is a better rebounder and scorer in the paint and will probably be the better outside shooter (maybe already is)
Green is the better defender and passer.

If salaries are similar, then I will go with the younger, bigger (more rare) player with more upside potential.

Yes but it's not as if Green can't play inside and doesn't rebound. Kanter simply does not or can not pass. He does not or can not defend. We need well-rounded players like the Spurs have. Guys who are willing to defend and can defend, guys who have a high basketball iq, guys who know how to pass and do so, guys who can shoot the 3. Green can do all that. Kanter simply can't and is fatally flawed.

Yes but it's not as if Green can't play inside and doesn't rebound. Kanter simply does not or can not pass. He does not or can not defend. We need well-rounded players like the Spurs have. Guys who are willing to defend and can defend, guys who have a high basketball iq, guys who know how to pass and do so, guys who can shoot the 3. Green can do all that. Kanter simply can't and is fatally flawed.
I think kanter plays better defense than he gets credit for.

There definitely is a huge discrepancy in passing though. In fact greens assist numbers are probably my favorite positive stat from either player.

Kanter did start playing bball late in life though, missed out on college, then played behind and learned from one of the all time great passing/assisting bigs for his first couple years.
I'm hoping, though not holding my breath that Quin can make enes improve his passing.

I think that enes well fetch more money than green which is good and bad. Good because that mean he is a more valuable asset to other teams and more desirable to other teams. Bad cause you always wish you can get good players cheap

Didn't you hear? He's worthless according to some fans.

We had a thread just like this for Trevor Ariza. I think Green is a good player, but you have to be careful reading too much into players like this when they are playing in an ideal situation.

Green's an infinitely better passer with an infinitely better ball iq. In that Spurs model we're trying to emulate. 4 years, 34M for Green.

Offer him the max.

The first time I saw Rudy play live was his rookie season against the GSW. Things got a little chippy between Rudy & Bogut and Rudy & Green.

If Rudy has an expectation of retaining Kanter, then the Jazz should keep Kanter. If Rudy desires Green as a teammate, then the Jazz should offer him an absurd contract, or offer GS Kanter in some sort of overly complicated sign and trade.

We would have to grossly overpay to get Green.

Can he get better?

sent from a phone ya bish

His shooting can get a little better, sure.

And what's grossly to you? I think 9.5M per could get it done and to me that's not grossly overpaying in this NBA economy with where it's headed. Especially not for a guy who leads, can rebound, pass, shoot, defend and hustle. Dude pretty much does it all.

Why do you think that 9.5 will get it done, and why the hell would Golden State not match that offer? I think they'd rather offload Iggy or Lee before letting Green leave for that price.

Anything the Jazz can afford to offer, the Warriors can probably match. Otherwise Utah is just overpaying to get him. At that point, I'd rather have control over the financial situation and be able to match whatever Kanter gets offered. The Jazz would run the risk of losing Kanter and failing to get Green as well. Rather not be the Rockets, thanks.

Green is the flavor of the month and highly overrated. Put him on a team without the firepower that Gstate and he won't look good at all.

We have to go after Draymond Green. I would offer him the max. Front load it as much as possible too. O

I'm convinced that he is worth it. Green is soooo good. He's not good as in like he's gonna carry a team offensively, but combine everything that he does together and his value is off the charts. His IQ and toughness is off the charts. I'm in love with his game. We need him on the Jazz.

There aren't too many more players in the league that I'd rather have on my team than Draymond Green right now. There really aren't any players in the league like him. I think Golden State is gonna win the championship and he'll play a big part.

I know that's a lot to say about what seems to be a role player, but he's way more than that. He seriously should be on the All defensive first team.

Last edited:
For those morons who think Green is overrated and a product of Curry and Thompson.

He leads the league in DRTG, defensive rating. Going backward, over the last 14 years, only five guys have led the league--Noah, Duncan, Garnett, Howard and Ben Wallace.

For those morons who think Green is overrated and a product of Curry and Thompson.

He leads the league DRTG, defensive rating. Going backward, other leaders over the years include Noah, Duncan, Garnett and Howard.

Post like this make me start to change my homerish mind

I haven't watched Green much since Michigan State, so I don't have much of an opinion as a NBA player, but he seems to have some impressive all-around games. the other day, I noticed a GSW box score and he had something like 16, 13 and 11 with a couple blocks and steals.

Over the last five games, he's getting 10, 10 and 6, with 3 blocks and 3 steals.

Green has started at the 4 a lot this year.

Curry-Thompson-Barnes-Green-Speights has been the starting five more recently most of the time.

Since he's a very good rebounder, can defend the 4 and block shots, he's a 4, but he can also hit the 3, create for others and put the ball on the floor, he's a 3.

So, both.

Wow.. ok... sounds like a miracle worker.

Green has started at the 4 a lot this year.

Curry-Thompson-Barnes-Green-Speights has been the starting five more recently most of the time.

Has he been starting or mainly coming off the bench this year? I hate GSW so haven't been watching their games.

Green starts.

So he'll be demanding a big payday? If he is indeed a 4 primarily then I don't know if I'll be paying too much for him, since Gobert/Favors is such a promising duo going forward.

If he is a 3 then may be look to pair him with Hayward, but is he proven at the 3 spot? Jury's still out right?