What's new

Read it and weep: on the failure of Tanking

tbh winning a title would be great and all, but I'd rather just be a team in title contention talks, so like the clippers, thunder... Just to be exciting and going deep into the playoffs. I'll take that.

Uhh....the point I've been trying to get across for the last five months:

IT'S NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE FOR A SMALL MARKET TEAM TO WIN A TITLE.

I think the only exception is SA and Miami. Miami was able to bring in Pat Riley and already had Wade. SA tanked for Duncan and ended up with arguable the best big man ever. So, yeah, the chances that Utah ever wins a title are a little better than someone winning 1 billion dollars from Buffet.

BUT, the only way Utah has any sort of shot at that tiny little chance is to win the lottery in the year that one of the greatest players of all time is available in the draft. Sooooo, if you are Utah, what do you do? You probably do what Utah has done. Have a goal to make the playoffs every year for 20+ years, then once ever 30 years or so, try to blow it up and shoot for the Sun.

But, without that "guy" you are hopeless. And while Miami is a small market team, I don't think Utah has quite the same pull for a young African American basketball player that Miami has.

So, what I am basically saying, is that the only shot Utah has at winning a title might very well be Jabari Parker. And praying that he turns out to be one of the best SF's of all time.

Yeah, we really have no shot at winning a title.

I think we have a little bit better of a chance than 1 in 9.2 quintillion to win a title sometime.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];787993 said:
LOL... can we raise the level of logical arguments?

How about you take seriously your own PowerBall metaphor?

I was just pointing out the level of your logic. You are saying that if the Jazz land a top3 pick, then by default, the strategy used will become the best strategy in retrospect, are you not?

there was a way to virtually guarantee a top3 pick in this draft.... which is why the powerball metaphor was crap.

M1_Abrams-TUSK.svg

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];787982 said:
THE BEST WAY FOR THE JAZZ TO SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVE THEIR POSITION -- GIVEN WHERE THEY WERE, AND THE FREE-AGENT MARKET AT THE TIME-- WAS TO LOSE A BUNCH OF GAMES WHILE PICKING UP SOME ADDITIONAL ASSETS. They did the latter (GSW trade), but have they been good enough at the former?

It's stupid to speculate about if it might not work out. Of course it might fail. But if they land a top3 pick, then they PROBABLY played the best hand given the context for their decisions.
This

tbh winning a title would be great and all, but I'd rather just be a team in title contention talks, so like the clippers, thunder... Just to be exciting and going deep into the playoffs. I'll take that.

I agree.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];788014 said:
there was a way to virtually guarantee a top3 pick in this draft.... which is why the powerball metaphor was crap.

That way was to gut the team. The team, as it currently stands, even if the Jazz shipped out Marvin and Richard, is not bottom-3 in the NBA. On talent alone, the Jazz are better than the Bucks, the Sixers, and the Lakers.

That way was to gut the team. The team, as it currently stands, even if the Jazz shipped out Marvin and Richard, is not bottom-3 in the NBA. On talent alone, the Jazz are better than the Bucks, the Sixers, and the Lakers.
I'd also throw Orlando in there. And Boston...at least until Rondo returned. Utah has done as poorly - actually WORSE - than expected. Without the absolutely horrible year from Godron, Jazz would be at 30 wins right now.

I'd also throw Orlando in there. And Boston...at least until Rondo returned. Utah has done as poorly - actually WORSE - than expected. Without the absolutely horrible year from Godron, Jazz would be at 30 wins right now.

Another way to put that would be without the absolutely boss rookie year from Burke, Jazz would be at 15 wins right now.

So, in reality, there is only one "contender" this year. As long as LeBron is playing, every other team is praying for an injury.

Like when Jordan was playing.

Like when Shaq was playing.

Like when Duncan was in his prime.

The NBA is a one man game. And you have to have that one man. Or pray for an injury.
It is too bad that the Mavs players in 2011 did not have the opportunity to read this wise post and, in their ignorance, defeated the mythical (and healthy) LeBron in 6 games. Ditto for the 2013 Spurs who were a lucky tip and a desperation shot away from beating the same LeBron in 6 games. Oh, and the Pistons in 2004 also totally did not get the message.

Poor schmucks.

The article is pure crap and this line proves it:

The teams with the top three picks in any given draft are almost twice as likely to never make the playoffs within four years—the term of an NBA rookie contract, before the player reaches free agency—as they are to make it past the second round.

Uh....restricted free agency? How many star players played out their QA and walked after their rookie contract.

To hell with tanking.

I say put together a bunch of mediocre misfits, and then just will them into being a championship team through fan support and just beieving in them. I haven't done my research,but i am quite confident this must be the most successful formula in building a winng team.

The article is pure crap and this line proves it:

The teams with the top three picks in any given draft are almost twice as likely to never make the playoffs within four years—the term of an NBA rookie contract, before the player reaches free agency—as they are to make it past the second round.

Uh....restricted free agency? How many star players played out their QA and walked after their rookie contract.

It's a stupid statement mainly because: A. That player you draft has to develop, usually by year 3 is were they should be getting there. B. Most bad teams are bad for a reason and adding one player doesn't automatically turn them into a play off team. They might get a little better.

It is too bad that the Mavs players in 2011 did not have the opportunity to read this wise post and, in their ignorance, defeated the mythical (and healthy) LeBron in 6 games. Ditto for the 2013 Spurs who were a lucky tip and a desperation shot away from beating the same LeBron in 6 games. Oh, and the Pistons in 2004 also totally did not get the message.

Poor schmucks.
anyone who still remembers and mentions Pistons 2004 is a basketball savant!
What a team they were!
Even Memo was badass back then.

It's a stupid statement mainly because: A. That player you draft has to develop, usually by year 3 is were they should be getting there. B. Most bad teams are bad for a reason and adding one player doesn't automatically turn them into a play off team. They might get a little better.

Point B is the entire point of the article.

Jazz fans, regardless of what draft pick they get, had better hope that Ty is the problem, or Point B will kick in.

This also does not fully apply to the Jazz because the Jazz are not going to have this exact same team plus 1 rookie from the draft.

Biedrins
Jefferson
Rush
Lucas
Williams
Hayward
Garrett
Clark
Thomas

4 of which see reagular time, including 2-3 starters.

All are potentially gone next season. That is a large portion of this team. The Jazz also have some financial flexibility this offseason.

The Jazz are going to have as many new faces next year as they did this year. The difference will be that Utah is now going after players that will push the team towards the playoffs. They are not going to bring in players just to get a pick. The Jazz will go from gather assets and young players to build a playoff (and hopefully beyond) caliber team.

The title of this article could easily read "Read it and weep: on the failure of Free agent signing, trading for a franchise player, trading away a franchise player, being a middle of the pack playoff team" and would have been equally as accurate as tanking. If anything IMO (haven't done any number crunching) drafting talent is the most efficient way for non-glamour market teams to change their culture. But like all forms of team building it's risky. The NBA up until now has not been a fan of parity because super teams are easy to market. And Stern(god bless his soul for keeping basketball in NOLA) was more than happy raking in the dough doing things the easy way even if that means the earning potential is limited.

Last edited: