What's new

Real thoughts from LHM Media members

orangello

Here is a discussion that took place yesterday on 1280 The Zone with David Locke, Scott Gerrard and Hans Olsen. The first topic is, "What type of coach should the Jazz get?" and the second is "Trey Burke vs Marcus Smart". We finally get some REAL thoughts about players from Locke instead of the cleaned up "everything is awesome" version that we heard all last season.

Enjoy

https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20140602_060214-david-locke-WEB.MP3

I don't rember if it was last Thursday on 700 am or Friday on 1280 am, that Lindsey expressed some concerns about Trey. The question was something along the lines of 'who is going to lead this group?' And in the response Lindsey said the jazz had to talk with Trey and say, " look you keep putting it out there that you want to be a leader, well you can't just keep saying that and then not do the things a leader does, you need to act like a leader". There was more to it that I don't recall, but I found it peculiar that Lindsey was speaking critically of a player, when usually he is so over the top PC, praising the team, the players, or the coaches for anything he can. Even when Ty was not re-upped Lindsey spoke more like Ty was close friend who just died than a coach who just won 23 games.

Anyway The way Lindsey talked about Trey brought to my mind the idea that Trey had some issues with practice or team functions in some way enough that the Jazz felt like they had to correct it. I also remembered that Trey was Ty's guy.

Ty is interviewing in Sacramento, Does Sacramento need a pg?

This was a great argument. I'm still not convinced David Locke knows anything about basketball, but I enjoyed his passion behind his misguided opinions.

Trey, kanter and 23 would easily get us the laker or sac pick. Smart and Gordon would be pretty awesome with the rest of the group.

Would need a bench full of shooters and Alec to embrace 30 plus minute sixth man role. Find a 3D guy to fill in at SF. Does Rush have anything left?

Trey, kanter and 23 would easily get us the laker or sac pick. Smart and Gordon would be pretty awesome with the rest of the group.

This is basically what I outlined in an earlier thread. I'm not sure you'd even need to give up that much.

But, yeah, if you can't move up into the top 3, then Smart is looking better and better, IMO.

I don't rember if it was last Thursday on 700 am or Friday on 1280 am, that Lindsey expressed some concerns about Trey. The question was something along the lines of 'who is going to lead this group?' And in the response Lindsey said the jazz had to talk with Trey and say, " look you keep putting it out there that you want to be a leader, well you can't just keep saying that and then not do the things a leader does, you need to act like a leader". There was more to it that I don't recall, but I found it peculiar that Lindsey was speaking critically of a player, when usually he is so over the top PC, praising the team, the players, or the coaches for anything he can. Even when Ty was not re-upped Lindsey spoke more like Ty was close friend who just died than a coach who just won 23 games.

Anyway The way Lindsey talked about Trey brought to my mind the idea that Trey had some issues with practice or team functions in some way enough that the Jazz felt like they had to correct it. I also remembered that Trey was Ty's guy.

Ty is interviewing in Sacramento, Does Sacramento need a pg?

Without trying to find it, the way I remember the story was DL going to Ty with the trade and TY enthusiastically endorsing it. I'm not sure that makes him Ty's guy. DL doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would give the coach whoever he wants if he felt there was a better player on the board. In any case, Trey was just a rookie. I don't know if he'll end up being the leader of this team, but it's tough for a rookie to come in and lead from the get go. We might see more of that this year and next. But you might be right. There could be some practice or off-court issues.

I think Locke's bball knowledge isn't a black and white/yes or no. IMO, he takes a very micro view in general, without considering the macro aspects.

He picks and chooses topics to dive so far into that his conclusions dont allow how those conclusions affect the other aspects of the game. He's very proud of himself.

I think Locke's bball knowledge isn't a black and white/yes or no. IMO, he takes a very micro view in general, without considering the macro aspects.

He picks and chooses topics to dive so far into that his conclusions dont allow how those conclusions affect the other aspects of the game. He's very proud of himself.

Great observation.

I will say that he brought up a lot of the problems that others have outlined with Trey. Poor shooting, speed/tempo, defense, speed, strength etc make it very difficult for Trey to be a starter in the NBA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Trashtalk

If you told me we could look like this:

Smart
Burks
Hayward/Gordon
Favors
Gortat

or

Smart
Burks
Hayward
Randle
Favors

I'd probably do that deal. The only problem is another semi reset, pushing back the rebuild a year, but in doing so I believe you get better players. At least from the Smart>Trey aspect.

Can I get a summary of what was said? At work and can't listen.

At first the discussion was the type of coach to help the team. Locke wants someone that can help by growing with the team. He doesn't want to see someone that the Jazz pay 5 million per year too. He wants someone with head coaching experience at another level and assistant experience in the NBA.

Hans wanted Hollins. His argument is that he doesn't want Utah to turn into a training ground for HC that will be poached by other teams.

Then the discussion moved to Trey vs Smart. Locke's point was that Smart will make his living by being a tough defender at the point of attack. Locke said that if Smart is on the board you have to take him at 5.

Hans believes that Trey will be better for the team because he's cold-blooded. As Hans brought up things to admire about Trey's game Locke shot them all down. Things like shooting, traditional PG etc.

Locke basically said that Trey can't finish around the rim, shot poorly this season and that his is a bad defender. Smart can finish at the rim his shooting is poor but he will be a top level defender at the PG position.

I might have put a few words into the discussion that were not there. I did listen to the audio about 3 hours ago and have been entrenched with work ever since then.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Trashtalk

Smart
Burks
Hayward/Gordon
Favors
Gortat

or

Smart
Burks
Hayward
Randle
Favors

I'd probably do that deal. The only problem is another semi reset, pushing back the rebuild a year, but in doing so I believe you get better players. At least from the Smart>Trey aspect.

I don't think those look like a "pushing back". Not at all.

Smart
Burks
Hayward/Gordon
Favors
Gortat

or

Smart
Burks
Hayward
Randle
Favors

I would be even happier if we swapped the Gordon/Randle part with Vonleh. This order for me between the 3, Vonleh, Gordon,...................>Randle.

Randle is not hungry enough tbh.