What's new

remember when our offense looked like this?

jope

[video=youtube_share;_5n9yacx2GY]https://youtu.be/_5n9yacx2GY

Say what you want about jerry.

hell, even say that quin has a good system. but there is no doubt that jerry got his players to run the sets, HARD. the crispness, sharp cuts, and speed created countless easy looks. easy looks are rare for our offense.

hell, even say that quin has a good system. but there is no doubt that jerry got his players to run the sets, HARD. the crispness, sharp cuts, and speed created countless easy looks. easy looks are rare for our offense.

Quin's offense reminds me of a hot pile of diarrhea. Check that, I have seen bowel movements that are more impressive than Quin's offense.

Yes OP, I miss Jazz basketball.

Quin's offense reminds me of a hot pile of diarrhea. Check that, I have seen bowel movements that are more impressive than Quin's offense.

Yes OP, I miss Jazz basketball.
I know why this double posted. Jope has quoted replies go to his inbox and since it's full, anytime we hit reply with a quote of his, we get an error saying his inbox is full.

At least Q's offense isn't as bad as Casey's (Toronto). I literally cannot watch the Raptors.

I am a huge fan of quin snyder, but the offense can be so hard to watch....I know that has a lot to do with injuries and some horrid PG Play up until we got Hill....but still it makes it so hard to play and I feel like whenever I go to a home game the crowd can't get into it as much as they want to because of the offensive struggles

More than anything I just wish we got into our offense faster and pushed the ball more. I know slow pace is our style, but we take it to an extreme sometimes with how often we ignore potential fastbreaks. I think a lot of that is how slow our damn roster is. Really want Burks/Hill back.

I don't want to see the young Jazz players all bulked up (Favors) to play Snyders slow down game .You have a PG that doesn't turn the ball over and quite arguably the fastest PG backing him up.
You see Hayward has bulked up but still a ballhandler .Everytime he rebounds he walks the ball up court,no pretense to even trying to look like they want to attempt any fast breaks. Hood can handle the ball,Lyles can handle the ball,Burks can handle the ball.What a waste of young legs and the high elevation wasted on slowdown ball!
Let's also acknowledge that Gobert is one of the most athletic Centers too .If Jazz had the threat of fastbreaks in their game, defenses would have to get back leaving less congestion under the basket for Gobert to get offensive rebounds ,a category where Jazz are one of the worst in the NBA at.
Snyder was ballyhooed as a offensive mastermind ...I'm off that boat ,I don't believe it

There are two things that stand out to me when I watch this video:

A) Man, those guys are playing some primitive defense. No switching, not a lot of fronting, giving a ton of space for the pocket pass on PnR with no help.
B) A lot of those plays are run for someone to shoot a 20-footer or for Stockton to make pin-point passes that no one on the Jazz can currently make.

Now, I think you can get some traction if you'd like Quin to run something more like Jerry's 2007-08 system, but even that's 10 years old now. The 97-98 era of basketball is pretty dead.

Quin's motion is much more complex and fluid this season vs last. It's almost starting to look like a proper offense. He's also focusing on mismatches quite a bit and allowing players to go to work, something the Jazz have been guilty of not creating the past several seasons. They're spreading the floor with shooters and opening up driving lanes.

The problem is when the players let it stagnate and revert to last year's outside pnr.

There are two things that stand out to me when I watch this video:

A) Man, those guys are playing some primitive defense. No switching, not a lot of fronting, giving a ton of space for the pocket pass on PnR with no help.
B) A lot of those plays are run for someone to shoot a 20-footer or for Stockton to make pin-point passes that no one on the Jazz can currently make.

Now, I think you can get some traction if you'd like Quin to run something more like Jerry's 2007-08 system, but even that's 10 years old now. The 97-98 era of basketball is pretty dead.

yes, because everyone agrees that defense in the 90s was trash, and today's defense is great. A valid point is that all the off ball movement creates confusion in the defense, something that having 4 guys stagnate in our offense doesnt do. But really, the problem IMO is that our offense is not designed to get guys looks regardless of their talent level like Jerry's (think of how many role players' production suddenly disappeared after leaving sloans system). Our current offense relys on screen after screen for hill hayward or hood while they are reading and reacting, so if those guys are off, or the defense reacts correctly, then our offense grinds to a halt. Jerry's offense allowed role players to be involved and be real contributors, because they followed pre-designed routes, had all 5 invested in the play, and did so with maximum effort. Team mates knew where they'd be, and the TALENT + THE PLAY would generate points, not just the playmaking ability of one or two guys.

1. It's really easy to scheme a good offense when you have 2 hall of famers.
2. People mistake bad execution for bad offense. The Jazz are creating A ****TON of wide open shots this year... When they hit them we win, when we miss, we lose. Just for reference - Hayward and Lyles are 2/17 on open or wide open 3p shots in the last couple of games. The offense is not bad. It's average-ish... and it has been average-ish since Quin got on the Jazz.

1. It's really easy to scheme a good offense when you have 2 hall of famers.
2. People mistake bad execution for bad offense. The Jazz are creating A ****TON of wide open shots this year... When they hit them we win, when we miss, we lose. Just for reference - Hayward and Lyles are 2/17 on open or wide open 3p shots in the last couple of games. The offense is not bad. It's average-ish... and it has been average-ish since Quin got on the Jazz.

just for reference, re: hall of famers making the offense great.
09-10 Jazz were 8th best offense, no hall of famers
08-09 were 8th best offense, no hall of famers
07-08 were THE BEST (#1) offense, no hall of famers
06-07 were 3rd best offense, no hall of famers

Heh... Deron was legit monster at that time. We don't have anyone close to that level nowadays. Also Boozer was an awesome offensive player and a 2 time all-star at the time too... Don't take my posts as a dismissal of Sloan's impact. I just recognize that personnel plays big role in what offense you can run.

Deron Williams was on his way to the HOF if he stayed healthy.

yes, because everyone agrees that defense in the 90s was trash, and today's defense is great. A valid point is that all the off ball movement creates confusion in the defense, something that having 4 guys stagnate in our offense doesnt do. But really, the problem IMO is that our offense is not designed to get guys looks regardless of their talent level like Jerry's (think of how many role players' production suddenly disappeared after leaving sloans system). Our current offense relys on screen after screen for hill hayward or hood while they are reading and reacting, so if those guys are off, or the defense reacts correctly, then our offense grinds to a halt. Jerry's offense allowed role players to be involved and be real contributors, because they followed pre-designed routes, had all 5 invested in the play, and did so with maximum effort. Team mates knew where they'd be, and the TALENT + THE PLAY would generate points, not just the playmaking ability of one or two guys.

You're describing Jerry's offense. He didn't flex the entire game, far from it. That offense was as grinding and stagnant as any at times, and also relied on a ton of side pnr. The difference was he had a weapon named Karl Malone and an assassin named John Stockton that took pressure off the rest and creating defensive hedging for each other.