What's new

Remember

Rose, Deron, even Chris Paul all had fairly bad summer leagues. Locke hinted he was going to do a SL comparison of guards or something in his next podcast.

Some had good (See Lillard last year) - some had bad (See Harden, George, Rose, etc) thus the reason people need to put down the crack pipe and give Burke some time. We wanted young guys to play (Well most of us), now we will get to deal with the growing pains.

Then again, we could have brought back Mo, Foye, Al, and Millsap and be ok with .500 ball.

Some had good (See Lillard last year) - some had bad (See Harden, George, Rose, etc) thus the reason people need to put down the crack pipe and give Burke some time. We wanted young guys to play (Well most of us), now we will get to deal with the growing pains.

Then again, we could have brought back Mo, Foye, Al, and Millsap and be ok with .500 ball.

It's going to be a brutal year for wins and losses, but some of us see the big picture. It will be a masterpiece in it's beginning stages for us...(if ty uses correct stokes)

Rose was also an athletic freak who came into the league with a very streaky perimeter jumper.

Burke looked out of rhythm and had some shots blocked/challenged - but he also missed a lot of the same shots he made consistently at Michigan - so I really believe he'll be fine heading into the preseason.
When watching and re-watching Burke's summer league performances - another thing that sticks out is virtually all of his offensive opportunities came off high screen-roll. That's not surprising, but in summer league the floor-spacing is generally much poorer than in regular season play while defensive intensity (if not ability) is nearly the same with players busting their butts to earn a camp invite. As a result, Burke is looking to make plays with opposing arms and hands flying into scoring windows that won't necessarily be there in the regular season (with say Gordon Hayward and Brandon Rush on the perimeter).
Also, there's a reason training camps last 3-4 weeks rather than 3-4 days. The Jazz had a lot of guys learning new sets and new terminology for the first time and in summer league and that type of over-thinking can slow down your play. When Burke penetrates the chemistry between his teammates to create a passing window wasn't always there so Burke forced some tough off-balance shots in situations he probably would've dished to an open Hardaway or McGary in college.

Burke isn't going to replicate Damian Lillard's rookie season but the time to start freaking out about his play is if we're having the same conversations next spring. Very few terrible/brilliant summer league performances over the past 10 years stand out, and 10 years from now very few will remember Burke's performances in Orlando. Chris Roberts looked terrific and he hasn't been able to land on an active roster for 3 years. Basketball is basketball, but when it comes to summer league there are a lot of aspects of play that just don't translate to a real NBA game.

Derrick Rose rookie SL stats..
5-17 from the field.

Luckily for us burke has similar size speed, and leaping ability to derrick rose so there is no need to worry

The only person who I can find that had as bad summer league as Trey Burke is Austin Rivers.

Austin Rivers 32.0 MPG 10.0 PPG 2.5 RPG 3.5 APG 21.1% FG

Trey Burke 28.0 MPG 9.0 PPG 4.3 RPG 3.7 APG 21.4% FG

(I couldn't find TO's for both, woulda been nice to have as well).

Austin Rivers went on to have what many people consider one of the worst rookie reasons of all time regardless of where they were drafted. His PER was 5.95 while playing 23.2 minutes his rookie season.

rookie year PER and WS/48 (15 and .100 would be an average player)

Isiah Thomas: 14.5, .046
John Stockton: 13.3, .100
Walt Frazier: 15.4, .105
Tiny Archibald: 14, .085
Steve Nash: 10.8, .047
Gary Payton: 13.2, .073
Jason Kidd 15.1, .066

I got this off of a post on ISH.

Did we really expect to get anything of value for the 14th and 21st pick? In this draft? Seriously, if Trey starts for the team at all, it's a win. I heard that they would have taken GoBear with 14 if they hadn't moved up.

Did we really expect to get anything of value for the 14th and 21st pick? In this draft? Seriously, if Trey starts for the team at all, it's a win. I heard that they would have taken GoBear with 14 if they hadn't moved up.

Heard that too. And we would have all freaked out on Draft night and then been too high on him after SL.

Trey Burke will make Lilliard s his p's by 20 games in. Next year he'll be in the CP3 discussion, and Neto will be compared to a Rubio with a deadly shot.

The biggest problem will be deciding who to keep and who to trade for the draft rights to Jabari, after we draft Wiggins.

Trey Burke will make Lilliard s his p's by 20 games in. Next year he'll be in the CP3 discussion, and Neto will be compared to a Rubio with a deadly shot.

The biggest problem will be deciding who to keep and who to trade for the draft rights to Jabari, after we draft Wiggins.

Is this before or after Rudy Gobert becomes Roy Hibbert, Enes Kanter becomes Moses Malone, and Derrick Favors becomes Bill Russel?

Everyone else who frequents this site more than i probably already knew that you are Thriller's alt... i just figured it out.

So the dubs first rounder bring us Randle?

franklin got into the good stuff again!

Luckily for us burke has similar size speed, and leaping ability to derrick rose so there is no need to worry
Yeah, I know right.

They are both point guards, though. And the ball don't lie, Rose struggled his rookie year in the summer league.

I was just saying so because everybody is expecting perfection out of Burke, and a taller, faster Derrick Rose didn't fare amazingly either.

Thanks for the smartass remark though.