What's new

Reports: Rockets' Yao Ming will retire

vslice02

Houston Rockets center Yao Ming has decided to retire after nine NBA seasons, Yahoo! Sports and the Houston Chronicle have reported, citing league sources.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6749511

Very sad as well. His impact will probably be more on furthering the globalization of the NBA than his on-court performance (which was still very impressive), but I really thought he could've become one of the top-6 players in the league had he stayed healthy.

Sad to see this happen, he helped make basketball even more global...great player for 6 out of his 7 "healthy" seasons

That video just reminds me how badly the NBA needs Bill Walton to start commentating again. "With Yao Ming as great and willing a passer as he is .........(pause for awesome Yao pass) .... face".

Yao could have been a top center of all time if he could stay healthy. I guess being 7'6 comes with a price though.

Not unexpected but a bit sad. He was misused most of his career in Houston then he could not stay healthy. He may have gone down as a top 2 Center had his health not been such an issue.

I don't think he was misused, I think his type of game is just impossible to perfectly adapt to the NBA. He ran up the court slowly, demanded a lot of touches, etc, so it was no wonder his high energy, fast-paced teammates succeeded when he went down. He was a great player, but seemed pretty damn hard to utilize without revealing his faults.

- Craig

I don't think he was misused, I think his type of game is just impossible to perfectly adapt to the NBA. He ran up the court slowly, demanded a lot of touches, etc, so it was no wonder his high energy, fast-paced teammates succeeded when he went down. He was a great player, but seemed pretty damn hard to utilize without revealing his faults.

- Craig

Earlier in his career he was a secondary option in their offense. He should have been the focal point of their half court offense for all but maybe his rookie season. He was not. Instead they chose to run their offense through Mcgrady. Who was a low efficiency chucker. They would have been a lot more successful if their half court offense was ran throug Yao instead.

Sorry but I'm shocked no one had yet replied to the aforementioned nonsense. He wouldn't have ever even grazed the top five with the likes of Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq and Hakeem to name just five. One of the most absurd statements.