What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

Agreed. I wish we never traded for him and put DM at point and found a good 2 guard with some good size to play next to DM.
Since this front office can't find us a point guard who isn't made of glass we would likely have an easier time signing a shooting guarding and having Donovan play PG. Or play Donovan at PG and Clarkson at SG. There. Good. Now we're set.

Probably a gross exaggeration, but the Jazz's strategic situation kind of reminds me of when Imperial Japan had their fleet decimated at Midway and then Leyte Gulf: unpromising.

Many of us were calling for this the whole time. He was redundant and didn't fill a need. A need we ended up never filling and it came back to bite us.
Yep. Cy and I had a bunch of discussions on this topic. And I hate that I was so right because the Conley deal is a disaster if he bolts. And we lost so much because of it.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yep. Cy and I had a bunch of discussions on this topic. And I hate that I was so right because the Conley deal is a disaster if he bolts. And we lost so much because of it.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
DL rolled the dice and it almost worked. We are no worse off than when Haywood punked us. At least Conley is telegraphing his intentions.

Has Mike changed his tune for the way the medical staff handled his injury? Did he feel okay to play and they didn’t let him? Donovan went through that too

The sense I got from listening to the DL interview is that Mike wasn’t playing because Mike didn’t want to play. Was I alone?

DL even said something like “we never put pressure on players to play.”

I get the impression Mike may not want to come back, and that the Jazz might not want to go far into the tax to bring him back.

This makes me think about how amazing the Spurs were... they had drafted Robinson and sure - they tanked for Duncan - but then they drafted Parker and Manu (28th and 57th). They drafted a lot of other guys who ended up sucking but they were able to build around their big four (and then their big three after Robinson retired). It's just impressive.

This makes me think about how amazing the Spurs were... they had drafted Robinson and sure - they tanked for Duncan - but then they drafted Parker and Manu (28th and 57th). They drafted a lot of other guys who ended up sucking but they were able to build around their big four (and then their big three after Robinson retired). It's just impressive.
Particularly when you look at what our second round picks have brought us the past few years.

You do not re-sign Conley. He is the one that signs with you again or don't. And he's got some leverage over the Jazz because there's no room to pay any other guard his level.

Hey, remember how last year with even less depth, the Jazz weren't any worse without Conley, and were arguably better?

Well whatever, if he wants to walk, then **** him. He was always redundant, even when he was really, really good. If he wants to come back, I hope the Jazz aren't swept up in their desperation to preserve an asset that forces them to give up even more assets than the one they "preserved".

Last edited:
It's beginning to feel more and more like we might've just been George Hill-ed.

But hey, remember how last year with even less depth, the Jazz weren't any worse without Conley, and were arguably better?

Well whatever, if he wants to walk, then **** him. He was always redundant, even when he was really, really good. If he wants to come back, I hope the Jazz aren't swept up in their desperation to preserve an asset that forces them to give up even more assets than the one they "preserved".
If I was on a ship headed towards an iceberg, and no one attempts to remove the crew and right the ship, I'd jump off in a lifeboat too.

If I was on a ship headed towards an iceberg, and no one attempts to remove the crew and right the ship, I'd jump off in a lifeboat too.
Sure. Whatever. If he signs somewhere for the MLE or less like one of the LA teams or Brooklyn or some ****, and IF he wins a ring, he'll be doing it as a mere coat-tail rider. If he's concerned with legacy, he'll get more of it if he offers a similar discount to finish his business here.

But it's his life. I'd love to have him on the right deal, but I'm done sweating it.

Sure. Whatever. If he signs somewhere for the MLE or less like one of the LA teams or Brooklyn or some ****, and IF he wins a ring, he'll be doing it as a mere coat-tail rider. If he's concerned with legacy, he'll get more of it if he offers a similar discount to finish his business here.

But it's his life. I'd love to have him on the right deal, but I'm done sweating it.
He should be where he is happy, whether that is better money, less stress, or "riding coattails".

I'd expect the same for anyone when choosing where they will work.

The key is that they had a wide array of 3 and D guys at their disposal, non stops.

Bruce Bowen is one(five time first team all defense, ten times the perimeter stopper that Royce ever will be). Stephen Jackson was another. Not to mention Kawhi Leonard at later stage of Duncan's career. All are elite options you can throw at the opposition star players so you are not relying on Duncan to do all the work defensively.

I'm good with Mike at a fair price. After Deron left in 2011 we signed these guys.

Devin Harris
Earl Watson
Jamaal Tinsley
Mo Williams
Trey Burke
John Lucas III
Alec Burks
Dante Exum
Raul Neto
Shelvin Mack
George Hill
Ricky Rubio

And forest can learn from Mike. He have potential.