What's new

Response from around the league on the Grayson Allen and Trae Young kerfluffle.

When we play Boston, I want GA guarding Haywood for most of the game. It'll be Johnny Lawrence vs. Daniel Larusso after the Halloween dance (except no Mr. Miyagi to save the day).

Kerfuffle sounds like what you teach a kid to call a fart, tbh.

Kerfuffle sounds like what you teach a kid to call a fart, tbh.

Truth.
Hootenanny and brewhaha are both pretty good.

Though kerfuffle sounding like a substitute word for fart makes it even more preferable.

I like all three of these words.

This seems a bit extreme, however, full disclosure, I am a cess-pool of white privilege so my opinion is moot anyway. For the record I do NOT follow college hoops so before the draft I didn't even know who Allen was, let alone his record on the court or any said punishments, so I don't have an opinion over whether he was sufficiently punished for being a douche (which it definitely seemed he was).

https://www.theroot.com/looks-like-utah-jazz-guard-grayson-allen-will-continue-1827399335

Allen was coddled through his college career. His on-court violence was seen as a testament to his toughness. Despite having crossed the line several times, Allen was never properly reprimanded for his behavior. On Thursday, during a Summer League game against the Atlanta Hawks, Allen—playing for arguably the whitest team in the whitest place in the world, the Utah Jazz—appeared to be back to his thuggish ways.

Secondly, Trae Young had him beat on the play and there was nothing wrong with Allen fouling Young to keep him from getting the shot up. Where things started to get real “Grayson Allen-y” was his not moving his arm once he committed the foul and the shoulder to the stomach after Young gave him the “dude, get off of me” push.

And what did Jazz coach Quin Snyder have to say about Allen’s play? He apparently loves his tenacity on the defensive end, but added that his interaction with Young was a bad play by the rookie, Yahoo Sports reports.

This seems a bit extreme, however, full disclosure, I am a cess-pool of white privilege so my opinion is moot anyway. For the record I do NOT follow college hoops so before the draft I didn't even know who Allen was, let alone his record on the court or any said punishments, so I don't have an opinion over whether he was sufficiently punished for being a douche (which it definitely seemed he was).

https://www.theroot.com/looks-like-utah-jazz-guard-grayson-allen-will-continue-1827399335

So... is Utah the whitest of all the NBA teams? Allen, Ingles, Neto, Rubio? Does that make us the whitest? And is SLC the whitest place in the world? I'm curious what you all think.

I do like those 3 options, brouhaha, shenanigans, hootenanny.

I would rule out the following.

Skullduggery, Exchange of barbs, Gloves come off, Armageddon, Quarrel, Riot, War, and Palace of Auburn Hills.

This list though I think any of them fit the bill.

Chicanery, Hijinks, Shenanigans, Tomfoolery, Tiff, Skirmish, Fracas, Hullabaloo, Ballyhoo, Dust up, Brouhaha, Fisticuffs, Rucky Rowdydow, Kerfuffle, Hubbub, Hurly-burly, Slobber knocker, Donnybrook, Hootenanny, Bedlam, Mayhem, turmoil, havoc, uproar, scuffle, scrum, clash, altercation, melee, rumpus, foofaraw.

I'm partial to foofaraw as it was a minor matter that got way too much attention.

The hatred around the league towards Grayson is going to make me like him that much more

I’m more partial to Hootenany

Oh, come on, let's at least get the definition right. o_O

According to Merriam-Webster, hootenanny: "a gathering at which folk singers entertain often with the audience joining in"

I guess we could turn a GA incident into this euphemism, but I'd prefer "kerfuffle" to keep closer to a true definition and to honor Andy Larsen's original usage. We need to keep kerfuffle an NBA word.