What's new

Retro Covid

babe

It's about time to do a review of the political and medical end-stage of the "pandemic".

As a "review", this topic will be on-going for years: What the Hell Happened?"

Pretty sure there are interests who will apply available power and influence to shut down the discussion. This topic is by definition an attempt to expose disinformation, an effort to correct the record scientifically and move forward politically. I am sure there will be a lot said in the future that will be based on good science and valid social and political comment.

I might have labeled this thread as "The Official Covid Revisionist History" or whatever. Threads that pose as "The Official...... anything" identify some damn fool who thinks authoritarianism is a good thing. Not my bag.

Public health measures taken, in widely varying fashion, have generated the possibility of epidemiological studies bases on public health statistics. This is a kind of research that does not touch biochemistry or pathology directly. And there is inherent in such studies the BS-factor of statistics in general. "there are three kinds of lies: falsehood, damned smears, and statistics>" Propagandists love all three kinds.

We have had a lot of observational or anecdotal reports, sporadically, across the last two years, but here is a more organized and general analysis of the public health statistics we have. I don't know how much cherry-picking there has been either in selecting data, or collecting data, or compiling data. Pretty sure it's a swamp of Ambrosian character.

So far, the committed propaganda press has not paid much attention to this, and pretty sure the conservative coverage is skewed somehow.

But we have all seen the news. We all know that the "blue state" authoritarians who have emphasized public health measures, have largely fared worse than "open" or let's be more relevant here "rural" areas. Entirely reasonable to believe large, concentrated population centers needed more public health measures, not less. But itis also likely that some "Orders" have had adverse effects, like the orders that forced infectious persons into at-risk centers like old folks' homes, or care centers. Or restricted mass transit in a manner that resulted in over-packed cars.....subway cars and other mass transit modes.

A study like this has some inherent blindnesses or false assumptions. compiling data from diverse sources always has such risks. But it does address a critical question and cannot just be dissed out of hand. It's the data we have, probably not subjected to every form of distortion possible.

We'd like to see some result that suggests the things we did really made a difference. But in science, that hope is called "bias".

The above cite report appears, on my initial look at it, to be a reasoned analysis of many available reports, selected on a stated criteria for inclusion. This overcomes many of my initial objections stated above, at least to some extent. The conclusion they reach is a clear declaration, not a muddles mess of caveats.

While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.

As Ambrose Bierce said: "Experience, like the rising of the dawn, reveals the path we should not have gone."

Besides authoritarian jpublic health orders,which have timed out as fad items for political manipulations, there are some other things to talk about.

New reports, coming out in the scientific journals, about short useful life of mRNA or single protein antigen technologies against a rapidly varying unstable viral pathogen. About the effectiveness and economics of monoclonal antibody transfusions and other effective treatments.

We did everything wrong that we could possibly go wrong with.

The virus was man-made and contained some unstable genetics. Some features of the design were explicitly intended to enhance infectivity and intensify the damage. We'll be a generation or two getting all that released from our bureaucrats.

But thankfully, the current variants and probable future variants will be very mild in their effects. It seems to me that in fact, this whole line of viral pathogens will go extinct within a year now. At that point, the positive value of vaccinations will go to zero, and the long-term autoimmune effects of both the vaccines and the pathogens will begin to show up. Unless the negative effects of the vaccine are credily traced, there will be little recourse unless we go to the originators of the man-made virus,and can overcome the institutional protectionistshield around the responsible directors of the gain-of-function research. And that blame will fall on the US, not China.

However, this all might be lost in the next pandemic, perhaps already on us. Rumors? A small pox/Ebola hybrid, also man-made. Hemorrhagic fever transmissible on manufactured goods like face masks.

who'd a thunk that up?

Last edited: