What's new

Richard Jefferson Part II

I know a lot of people are getting impatient and don't want to keep waiting on this, but I truly believe it's the smartest thing to do. Using our cap for another salary dump is what we should do. Of course we need a willing partner.

There isn't much out there that make sense for most teams.

I know a lot of people are getting impatient and don't want to keep waiting on this, but I truly believe it's the smartest thing to do. Using our cap for another salary dump is what we should do. Of course we need a willing partner.

There isn't much out there that make sense for most teams.

The smartest thing to do is to use our cap space to add perimeter defenders. Then, we could, you know, play some defense.

We have an assload of top-10 young players. It's time to shift out of straight-up asset-acquisiton mode... and start winning some games. It starts on defense, where we ranked dead mother-****ing last in the league. Last y'all. This is clearly the smartest thing to fix.

#Novak!

At the risk of saying something very unpopular and viewed as borderline apostasy:

This year should be about what we should have been doing for the past 3 years: see what we have and what is/isn't compatible. We have a lot of young guys and assets. Almost too much. I was hoping we would have consolidated some of this in a draft move-up. Nevertheless, we have a lot of guys that we need to give burn to and see how they work together. We can always use good players, sure. But adding a couple defenders isn't going to do as much for us defensively as we may be anticipating. The larger variable is what our team actually looks like in a different system. I don't think bringing in more mediocre talent is the answer to our problem with having too much mediocre talent. I'm good sitting pat and reassessing what our needs our as we start to see this thing unfold.

There are a total of 240 minutes available each game. I'd like to see our guys get approximately the following:

Burke 32
Exum 22
Burks 30
Hayward 34
Hood 24
Kanter 32
Favors 34
Gobert 22

This leaves about 10 minutes. Naturally there are injuries and whatnot, but I'd also like to see some minutes thrown to Evans, Murphy and Novak. This also doesn't count Neto or Tomic, if either of them come over. If Hayward isn't back then obviously a lot of this changes, but I'd like to actually have the minutes available for these guys and have them be forced on the floor. The "earn your minutes" worked awesome under Ty.

At the risk of saying something very unpopular and viewed as borderline apostasy:

This year should be about what we should have been doing for the past 3 years: see what we have and what is/isn't compatible. We have a lot of young guys and assets. Almost too much. I was hoping we would have consolidated some of this in a draft move-up. Nevertheless, we have a lot of guys that we need to give burn to and see how they work together. We can always use good players, sure. But adding a couple defenders isn't going to do as much for us defensively as we may be anticipating. The larger variable is what our team actually looks like in a different system. I don't think bringing in more mediocre talent is the answer to our problem with having too much mediocre talent. I'm good sitting pat and reassessing what our needs our as we start to see this thing unfold.

I'm gonna say this again...

Gordon Hayward is, by any conceivable metric or eye test, our best perimeter defender. There's no questioning our need for reinforcements.

Go get a couple defenders on two-year deals. Those are tradable assets next year, if not sooner. Part of holding guys accountable is the threat of a competent defender playing right behind him on the bench. Snyder has to be able to "pull a Pop" and yank a guy for a bad rotation, knowing full well that the guy he inserts will make the proper rotations. We simply can't do that right now, and it isn't simply Corbin's system that's to blame. I'm shocked this isn't common knowledge. The Corbin-hate went waaaaaay too far. Damn.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];863945 said:
I'm gonna say this again...

Gordon Hayward is, by any conceivable metric or eye test, our best perimeter defender. There's no questioning our need for reinforcements.

Go get a couple defenders on two-year deals. Those are tradable assets next year, if not sooner. Part of holding guys accountable is the threat of a competent defender playing right behind him on the bench. Snyder has to be able to "pull a Pop" and yank a guy for a bad rotation, knowing full well that the guy he inserts will make the proper rotations. We simply can't do that right now, and it isn't simply Corbin's system that's to blame. I'm shocked this isn't common knowledge. The Corbin-hate went waaaaaay too far. Damn.

Chris Singleton. I think that makes a perfect statement given how poor of an offensive player he is.

There are a total of 240 minutes available each game. I'd like to see our guys get approximately the following:

Burke 32
Exum 22
Burks 30
Hayward 34
Hood 24
Kanter 32
Favors 34
Gobert 22

This leaves about 10 minutes. Naturally there are injuries and whatnot, but I'd also like to see some minutes thrown to Evans, Murphy and Novak. This also doesn't count Neto or Tomic, if either of them come over. If Hayward isn't back then obviously a lot of this changes, but I'd like to actually have the minutes available for these guys and have them be forced on the floor. The "earn your minutes" worked awesome under Ty.

Hood more then Exum?

Next!

I hope Hood pans out, but having seen him play a few times, I think we are going to regret taking him over Cleanthony.

This year should be about what we should have been doing for the past 3 years: see what we have and what is/isn't compatible. We have a lot of young guys and assets. Almost too much. I was hoping we would have consolidated some of this in a draft move-up.
I agree. I was expecting Lindsey to move up, but he didn't have to. After the GS trade, my hope was that we could get a starter and depth with the two picks. I never envisioned we'd be bottom-5. We got a possible franchise player and then a fringe lottery pick fell into our lap.

Assuming Hayward is kept, do we have our core 8/9 yet? Not sure. The only way to find out is to give them playing time.

1. Jazz have the guard rotation set (we think) with Burke, Burks and Exum. Substitute Neto for JLIII next year, as I think DL wants to delay Raul's contract one more year. Then add a veteran or developing rookie as injury insurance. Since Hayward can also play SG, I think the goal would be to find a "3 and D" player to back up both SG and SF.

2. SF's probably set with Hayward/Hood. Or if we could get an all-star talent by trading Burks and moving Hayward back to SG, I think DL would consider it.

3. Bigs: have three, need a 4th (Novak isn't the long-term solution). I think DL addresses the need in next year's draft where we'll likely have a top-10 pick.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];863941 said:
The smartest thing to do is to use our cap space to add perimeter defenders. Then, we could, you know, play some defense.

We have an assload of top-10 young players. It's time to shift out of straight-up asset-acquisiton mode... and start winning some games. It starts on defense, where we ranked dead mother-****ing last in the league. Last y'all. This is clearly the smartest thing to fix.

#Novak!

Duh fix?