What's new

Ricky Rubio will break out this season

jjscap

I'm from Europe so Rubio's adventure in Utah is particularly interesting to me.

When he was 15 years old he already was kicking *** so we all thought he was the next big thing.

RickyRubio_FCBarcelona.jpg

No wonder his NBA journey has been underwhelming. There might be reasons behind that. First of all he has a different mind than most players. He is tough but will still need the right environment to settle in and flourish. That was not Minnesota, the Wolves failed to develop him. He was unlucky to play for a number of coaches with poor development skills. Guess what? Utah is the place and Quin Snyder is the coach he always needed. Coach Q is harsh but fair. Intense but empathetic.

Rubio has improved significantly last season. Dude showed he can shoot, man. More importantly he has regained his confidence.

He'll break out this season and you'll all be witnesses. I don't mean raw stats, no he won't post 25 ppg, which is too hard in UTA's system anyway but he and DM will lead the Jazz to wins... a lot of wins.. Most since 97-98.

I agree. The fact Rubio has acknowledged his mindset has changed since coming to Utah makes me beleive we will see him reach yet another level this season.

My prediction is he puts up:
19/5/5/1.5 while shooting 39% from 3. His TOs will also reduce and his chenistry with Rudy will increase significantly. He will be in discussion for Allstar and 3rd team All-NBA.

Bout time we got a Rubio thread. He sometimes gets overlooked. He got out of timberpups land and immediately had his best season, I would even dare say he played at at an allstar level for most of the second half of the season.

He makes our starting lineup pretty insane, and don’t see why we can’t win a chip this year, there are no real weaknesses in our lineup and everyone in it plays rock solid defense, Rubio just adds to that, and I can definitely see him average 17/4/8/2 (pts. Reb. Ast. Stl.)

I agree. The fact Rubio has acknowledged his mindset has changed since coming to Utah makes me beleive we will see him reach yet another level this season.

My prediction is he puts up:
19/5/5/1.5 while shooting 39% from 3. His TOs will also reduce and his chenistry with Rudy will increase significantly. He will be in discussion for Allstar and 3rd team All-NBA.
I think 39% is a little bit of a reach. I think 36% is more realistic

He shot 41% beyond the arc after Rudy got back. 36% would be low for him if he's as consistent next year. 39% is more realistic.

He shot 35% last year showing he wasn’t as consistent as last year, he’s had stretches like last year through his career. What I’m saying is he will be more consistent, higher lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He shot 35% last year showing he wasn’t as consistent as last year, he’s had stretches like last year through his career. What I’m saying is he will be more consistent, higher lows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year was a tale of two Ricks. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, blah blah blah.

I think his floor next year will be a bit higher than his averages last year. The Jazz win when Ricky gets going, and we'll need him to be Slick Rick Curry. But the OP was correct. His mindset is important. Quin knew this and challenged him out of his comfort zone in that he needed to look more for his own shot. Once he had that, we were killing everything in site. I don't expect that to change in principle.

I think his assists will go up, since he is now used to playing with this team, but he will not get back to his career numbers since he will be playing with another ball-dominant play-maker in Mitchell, as well as our point-forward in Jingles. I think Rubio hits 17/5/7, maybe even up to 8 assists as a stretch. But his overall efficiency will go up considerably, especially shooting, since he will get lots of open looks in good positions due to playing along-side Jingles and Mitchell.

I think his assists will go up, since he is now used to playing with this team, but he will not get back to his career numbers since he will be playing with another ball-dominant play-maker in Mitchell, as well as our point-forward in Jingles. I think Rubio hits 17/5/7, maybe even up to 8 assists as a stretch. But his overall efficiency will go up considerably, especially shooting, since he will get lots of open looks in good positions due to playing along-side Jingles and Mitchell.

Ricky had to change his mindset when we had to convince him, like Ingles, that "If you have an open shot....SHOOT THE ***ING THING!!!". 17/5/7 with his second half efficiencies from last year would make me giddy. But yeah, we don't need him 100% facilitate everything, but we need him stroking well. The Jazz have plenty of facilitators. We just need to be sure our shooters are shooting.

Ricky had to change his mindset when we had to convince him, like Ingles, that "If you have an open shot....SHOOT THE ***ING THING!!!". 17/5/7 with his second half efficiencies from last year would make me giddy. But yeah, we don't need him 100% facilitate everything, but we need him stroking well. The Jazz have plenty of facilitators. We just need to be sure our shooters are shooting.

He did go through the same thing with Minny the year before though. 2 years in a row his 3 point % has jumped up about 7% from pre-all star to post all-star. 2 years ago with Minny he put up 16 ppg and 10.5 assists on 42% shooting. This last year post all-star he put up 15 ppg, 5.6 assists on 43% shooting. Its pretty easy to argue that 2 years ago with Minny he had a bigger jump in play. His offensive rating was better post all-star with Minny than it was with the Jazz.

3 years ago Rubio shot 29% from 3 before the all-star break and 37% after.

So we have 3 years in a row with significant difference between the 2 halves of the season.

So will it be 4 years in a row or did he actually turn a corner? If so what is the difference between this year and previous years where he did the same thing?

He did go through the same thing with Minny the year before though. 2 years in a row his 3 point % has jumped up about 7% from pre-all star to post all-star. 2 years ago with Minny he put up 16 ppg and 10.5 assists on 42% shooting. This last year post all-star he put up 15 ppg, 5.6 assists on 43% shooting. Its pretty easy to argue that 2 years ago with Minny he had a bigger jump in play. His offensive rating was better post all-star with Minny than it was with the Jazz.

So we have 3 years in a row with significant difference between the 2 halves of the season.

So will it be 4 years in a row or did he actually turn a corner? If so what is the difference between this year and previous years where he did the same thing?
Good questions.

History says the former, but I would like to think it'll be different.

History says the former, but I would like to think it'll be different.
I tend to agree but I am still worried. I am really hopeful that he will come out confident from the start and shoot well. I would like to think our staff is great at getting the most out of our players and improving them.

Mitchell passing the ball to Rubio for the game winning shot against Toronto felt like a real tipping point with his confidence and shooting.
That was a tipping point for the Jazz in general. We had just lost to Atlanta a couple nights before and that was the low point of the season. This was game 2 of the big win streak and a real confidence boost for the team and Rubio. We beat the best record team in the East and went on a tear. We did rally against the Pistons but that game felt like a real desperation game by the Jazz. This one got the confidence rolling for the team.

I have no idea what to expect...

He's in a contract year.
Seems really happy here.
Is more familiar with the system.
Is working on his shot.
Has been here most of the summer (from what I've read).

but....

He's done this hot second half thing before.
Had two good games in the playoffs, but shooting was certainly an issue.

I think its trending the right way. I was most encouraged by his finishing. I think he can be a consistent spot up three shooter 35-40% and if he is able to finish at the rim he is a threat off the dribble. I'm not convinced his three of the dribble will ever be good.

I'm not sure I'd call it a breakout... more of a steady improvement year. If he went 44/37 on his shooting splits and cut his turnovers a bit I'd be ecstatic. Even if his raw numbers for pts, assists, and rebounds stayed similar.

Right... which is why I was more impressed with his finishing being improved... it seems the staff has figured out ways to help guys with that particular skill. I expect his shooting to be more consistent, but the overall percentages to be somewhat similar.

Breakout is strong language... especially for a guy in his age 28 season that has played a ton of basketball. I don't think its a ridiculous statement though because the guy has been working with the team already and our development staff is the not to be doubted.