What's new

RIP Mark Eaton

Our paths crossed a few times over the years, but I never dared talk to him. I loved walking by him though. Made me feel so small.

I heard the news at my niece's wedding luncheon today. Put a damper on the event a bit.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

RIP Mark… You came to the Jazz in a time that I’d just began to follow the Jazz, and had just began playing center on my Jr High team. You influenced me, and made me go after every block and rebound that I could possibly get to. I’ll always remember the times we met and how great it was to shake your hand and listen to your words of advice. Thanks so much for all you did for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the most surprising thing is how many people in this forum alone had multiple interactions with the big guy. I myself had 3 chance meetings with the man and he was extraordinarily nice. The one that sticks out the most was a Mickey Thompson Off-road Race at Rice Eccles in the 90’s. My work gave me some free VIP tickets for the event and I ended up sitting right next to Mark.

We chatted the entire time and he was extremely gracious to each and every person that came over for an autograph. I’ll go to my grave insisting that if Mark didn’t have his career shortened by back problems, the Jazz win one or both of the Finals appearances vs the Bulls.

RIP to a true gentleman.

Would’ve been insane. Gotta wonder if the Jazz make it to the finals in at least one of ‘94 or ‘95.
Could have caused some problems for olajuwon. Might have made a difference.

I think I met him 3 times. 2 of them were just at meet & greets (once at my work, once in the basement of Crossroads Mall) and once at his restaurant. He just came up and asked us how our meal was, that kind of thing, but he seemed genuinely nice and interested in what I had to say every time.

Seems like seven foot tall humans have shorter lifespans than average size humans
Seems to be too hard on their system, but I 'm just guessing and probably wrong
Mark was really a fine decent person. Very sad to see him gone

Sad day indeed! Still, he had a wonderful life. Came swiftly no suffering, doing what he enjoyed. Old age is not at a perk of being a Giant. Love ya Mark!