What's new

Rittenhouse

Is this for real? As an outsider I have hard time understanding this verdict, just crazy that you can get away like that with what this idiot did.

Is this for real? As an outsider I have hard time understanding this verdict, just crazy that you can get away like that with what this idiot did.
They essentially set a precedent for more vigilantism. Not good.

Reactions: MVP
Or set the precedent that anyone can protect themselves from other people

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
The precedent that a person can act as a vigilante by inserting themselves into a clearly hostile and dangerous situation and then shoot their way out of the situation they put themselves in. Currently 100% legal and confirmed by this verdict.

This is literally a thing I could do:

Carry my legally concealed firearm into public, pick out a person who is bigger than me and who seems willing to fight, walk up to them and get right in their face, insult them ruthlessly, act like I'm ready to fight, wait until they step towards me, take out my gun and shoot them dead because they threatened me.

This is legit. Highly encouraged. Perfectly reasonable behavior. Fully legal.

Carry my legally concealed firearm into public, pick out a person who is bigger than me and who seems willing to fight, walk up to them and get right in their face, insult them ruthlessly, act like I'm ready to fight, wait until they step towards me, take out my gun and shoot them dead because they threatened me.

Is that what happened and is that what we learn from this? We didn’t have someone pick out a person willing to fight, didn’t walk up to them and get in their face, didn’t act like they were ready to fight, ran away when they stepped toward them, only pointed their gun while being pursued, and shot when they continued to come after them.

And the case still went to trial. If there weren’t cameras streaming this whole thing, Rittenhouse would have been ****ed.

• Dislike

The precedent that a person can act as a vigilante by inserting themselves into a clearly hostile and dangerous situation and then shoot their way out of the situation they put themselves in. Currently 100% legal and confirmed by this verdict.

If you removed the firearms from this whats the likely outcome? Somebody cops a beating? the confrontation never takes place? Reckon this kid is out on the streets if he isn't armed to the teeth? I'm not surprised he's been released. its ****ing sad.

Is that what happened and is that what we learn from this? We didn’t have someone pick out a person willing to fight, didn’t walk up to them and get in their face, didn’t act like they were ready to fight, ran away when they stepped toward them, only pointed their gun while being pursued, and shot when they continued to come after them.

And the case still went to trial. If there weren’t cameras streaming this whole thing, Rittenhouse would have been ****ed.
The post above that is the one that applies to this situation. But this situation doesn't happen if gun culture was based around safety and responsibility and not as it is, macho, tough guy, vigilante ********. The post you quoted is to demonstrate just how ridiculous our laws are.

Our gun culture and this pro-vigilante culture are what led Rittenhouse to be there at all. But it's also what encouraged those idiots who shot Arbery.

We have a sickness and it isn't that guns are legal, it's that the people who support our gun rights have fully abandoned promoting safety and responsibility in favor of glamorizing what Rittenhouse did.

If you removed the firearms from this whats the likely outcome? Somebody cops a beating? the confrontation never takes place? Reckon this kid is out on the streets if he isn't armed to the teeth? I'm not surprised he's been released. its ****ing sad.
Exactly. If Rittenhouse hadn't been there that night no one dies. He didn't, in the grand scheme of things, save any lives by doing what he did. I don't mean the shootings specifically, I mean his entire presence there.

I dont think gameface said that his example is what happened with rittenhouse. I think he was saying that he could do what he says in his example and not get convicted of murder. Idk. Maybe maybe not but I certainly think that you shouldn't be able to take a gun to a place where you have a reasonable expectation that you will be provoked to use the gun on someone and then when what you expected to happen actually does happen you get off without consequence.
I think that sets a bad precedent. I would never encourage a kid to do what rittenhouse did but it seems like that is something that some people will take away from this. Send your kids into danger with guns and they will be ok if they shoot someone and will even be raised to the status of a hero by a large number of americans.
Seems like a bad thing to convey to me.

I might just go to the next Trump rally with an anti-trump shirt, hat and giant flag and open carry a gun. Let's see how it goes...

Ehh, this only works for Proud Boys and the like, wouldn't recommend it for you Gameface.

See that guy in Portland who provoked a guy into pepper spraying him.

I'm glad for Rittenhouse on all counts "Not Guilty", but I think our right to self-defense is demonstrably undermined by the public support for the prosecution.

We basically have no rights except those that are respected by the public. None ,zero, zilch.

I think kids across the country are processing that fact.

Governments can become oppressive, but the public is always a more immediate consideration.

• Dislike
There was no surprise here for me. I knew he was gonna walk when I watched the videos a day or two after it happened. Lord knows I'm not an expert on things like this, but it was a pretty easy case for me.

Don't care to talk about it more.

I hate guns.

Exactly. If Rittenhouse hadn't been there that night no one dies. He didn't, in the grand scheme of things, save any lives by doing what he did. I don't mean the shootings specifically, I mean his entire presence there.
You have no way of knowing if that is true.

Person #1 made dead by Rittenhouse was a violent criminal who had molested 5 children and been to prison multiple times for a total of more than 12 years. There is strong evidence that sexual predators of this type are never cured. You have no way of knowing if Rosenbaum had survived that night that other people, innocent people, would have died from Rosenbaum's continued existence.

Person #2 made dead by Rittenhouse was a violent criminal who had committed rape. You have no way of knowing if Huber had survived that night that other people, innocent people, would have died from Huber's continued existence.

You simply don't know that our reality where those violent sex offenders decided to attack a guy with a gun isn't the best outcome karma could come up with.

You have no way of knowing if that is true.

Person #1 made dead by Rittenhouse was a violent criminal who had molested 5 children and been to prison multiple times for a total of more than 12 years. There is strong evidence that sexual predators of this type are never cured. You have no way of knowing if Rosenbaum had survived that night that other people, innocent people, would have died from Rosenbaum's continued existence.

Person #2 made dead by Rittenhouse was a violent criminal who had committed rape. You have no way of knowing if Huber had survived that night that other people, innocent people, would have died from Huber's continued existence.

You simply don't know that our reality where those violent sex offenders decided to attack a guy with a gun isn't the best outcome karma could come up with.
I'm confident in my statement and I don't find your post very valuable.

I'm confident in my statement and I don't find your post very valuable.
One of his victims - sorry, rioters - could have also saved hundreds of lives by, say, preventing a chemical spill. Playing what if is fairly pointless unless the effects are pretty obvious - they probably wouldn't have died THAT NIGHT if he hadn't pulled the trigger multiple times.

Or set the precedent that anyone can protect themselves from other people

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
That was already well-established in any number of other cases, such as Treyvon Martin, which set the precedent you can defend yourself from someone who isn't a threat at all, and someone that you chase down. This one set the precedent that you can take your own weapon to a charged situation you otherwise had no reason attending and that you can create your own "threats" in order to kill the people who view you as a threat since you, you know, brandished a weapon at an emotionally charged event you had no reason to attend. It's a step forward for murder-fantasy wannabe-vigilantes everywhere.

If that “incident” was 50 miles south the verdict would be different. And that’s pathetic