What's new

Ronnie Nunn talking about the refs calls on ESPN

northeast

You can pick up a dribble, step back, and make a hop step, and it's not a travel.

To me this should be a travel, but okay, if they want to allow this, fine.

However, what is a hop step?

Most hop steps really don't have both feet hit the ground and leave the ground at exactly the same time. Is this not a travel then?

Durant won a game on a last second shot last week on a step back and two more steps. It was clearly 3 steps, not a hop step, but it was done quickly and looked kind of like a hop step, so because it was Durant , the basket was allowed. This is another example of the type of call that the refs will give some players and not others.

This is not a surprise. Ronnie Nunn was the worst ref I have ever seen, and I don't say that as hyperbole. He was just ****ing brutal. To me, it's not even close.

The traveling rules in the NBA are the worst for consistency of any of the other rules. I have seen countless players take the hop, then a 2-3 step move to the basket, then another jump with no call made. Then they turn around and call carrying on the very next play for a hip-high dribble. It is an epidemic and it is creating a generation of players that simply could not play within the rule if they enforced it properly.

This is not a surprise. Ronnie Nunn was the worst ref I have ever seen, and I don't say that as hyperbole. He was just ****ing brutal. To me, it's not even close.

This.

He is a great example of the NBA not holding the refs accountable to anything.

I disagreed with Nunn on the Carmelo offensive foul against Ginobli. Ginobli's feet were planted at impact, but they weren't planted when Carmelo lifted his pivot foot, and Ginobli's upper body was moving rapidly at time of impact.

Refs get the offensive foul wrong 50 % of the time. They really should figure this out, maybe change the rules to give more benefit of the doubt to the offensive player. It is ridiculous. Defenders often get a foul called for barely touching someones arm on a layup, but if they don't make a play on the ball, and instead submarine somebody at the last split second and risk serious injury, the defender is rewarded way too often.

I disagreed with Nunn on the Carmelo offensive foul against Ginobli. Ginobli's feet were planted at impact, but they weren't planted when Carmelo lifted his pivot foot, and Ginobli's upper body was moving rapidly at time of impact.

Refs get the offensive foul wrong 50 % of the time. They really should figure this out, maybe change the rules to give more benefit of the doubt to the offensive player. It is ridiculous. Defenders often get a foul called for barely touching someones arm on a layup, but if they don't make a play on the ball, and instead submarine somebody at the last split second and risk serious injury, the defender is rewarded way too often.

Agreed. The flop has got to be cracked down on far harder than they have. It is just stupid.

Wait, what?

I was taught growing up that you could only lift your pivot foot and take two steps if you were in the process of making a layup. At some point this evolved into allowing a hop step on the second step, so it's really a step, and then a 2 footed hop. I just learned today that apparently you can do this on any shot, even if i not a layup. Furthermore, you are also allowed to pass off of the hop, as well as shoot.

T be clear, Ronnie Nunn was taking about a step back hop shot by Ginobli, which was a hop, or very close.
He did not discuss the Durant game winner I referred to.

you can pick up a dribble, step back, and make a hop step, and it's not a travel. assuming you are a big name star (e.g lebron, wade, kobe, durant, cp3 and others,)

to me this should be a travel, but okay, if they want to allow this, fine.

However, what is a hop step?

Most hop steps really don't have both feet hit the ground and leave the ground at exactly the same time. Is this not a travel then?

Durant won a game on a last second shot last week on a step back and two more steps. It was clearly 3 steps, not a hop step, but it was done quickly and looked kind of like a hop step, so because it was durant , the basket was allowed. This is another example of the type of call that the refs will give some players and not others.
fixed

I checked. The NBA's rule on traveling reads different than at other levels of ball.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3951002

The NBA's official rule says that "a player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball. The first count occurs (1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it; or (2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultaneously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.

"The second occurs (1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously."

That allows for interpretation -- and some confusion. "The book possibly could be interpreted differently from what actually happens. You could read it so that it's almost like you're allowed one. If you interpret it that way, right. That's where we're having an issue."

League officiating instructors have been interpreting it as two steps. Officials are taught that, Borgia said.