What's new

Root sports will be offered on at least one streaming service next season.

♪alt13

Beginning in the 2017-18 season, locals who want to watch Jazz games from Utah will have the ability to watch the games on a streaming service, even if they haven't purchased a traditional TV subscription. The services that ROOT will be available on have yet to be decided, though initial indications say that DirectTV Now and Playstation Vue are the most likely possibilities.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=44476469&nid=304&title=jazz-games-to-be-available-via-online-streaming-in-utah-for-2017-18-season

Jazz games to be available via online streaming in Utah for 2017-18 season

SALT LAKE CITY — Jazz fans in Utah trying to watch their team's games next year will have another option: streaming them online. ROOT Sports, the ...

Full Story...

Looks like it could cost upwards of $30 a month or so, though. Over the course of a season that's more than League Pass, which some locals still use with the help of cheap VPN software. Sure LP software, etc. still sucks. But it's less expensive. I'd prefer an option that costs around $100 for the whole season. Or heck, KJZZ needs to pick up the contract again when ROOT expires in 2020 and get us free broadcasts again!

Correct. Those people have League Pass (which obviously has its own problems, but anyway).

Here's a question for the Jazz brass: Does the impending renegotiation of their local TV deal create extra pressure to win now? Boost them ratings.

Looks like it could cost upwards of $30 a month or so, though. Over the course of a season that's more than League Pass, which some locals still use with the help of cheap VPN software. Sure LP software, etc. still sucks. But it's less expensive. I'd prefer an option that costs around $100 for the whole season. Or heck, KJZZ needs to pick up the contract again when ROOT expires in 2020 and get us free broadcasts again!

Plus we are still the property of Comcast. But it is inching slowly closer to either their bankruptcy or severe reduction in outlandish rates. I've almost got my wireless hotspot up to speed for streaming stuff.

Plus we are still the property of Comcast. But it is inching slowly closer to either their bankruptcy or severe reduction in outlandish rates. I've almost got my wireless hotspot up to speed for streaming stuff.

I think that they are introducing mobile phone service soon. I wonder if they will be able to offer it real cheap considering all the routers that broadcast the xfinity wifi.

I'm a DTV Now subscriber, and this makes me VERY HAPPY. We found ways to catch most of the games last year, but this will be easier and better quality. Awesome!

I think that they are introducing mobile phone service soon. I wonder if they will be able to offer it real cheap considering all the routers that broadcast the xfinity wifi.

Comcast has mobile phone now as far as I can tell. It's a joke. I guess "free" voice and text if you have their Internet service but data per gig prices are outrageous.

As for the streaming of ROOT - never liked ROOT. They don't seem to be "connected" to the teams they provide or the community around them. It's like the Jazz contract is a side note of their channel. What else do they really carry in the Utah market??? Rockies baseball. And that's their baby. There are too many channels today and too many can't keep up with the technology that is changing daily now. TV is going to change a lot in the next five years IMO.

Comcast has mobile phone now as far as I can tell. It's a joke. I guess "free" voice and text if you have their Internet service but data per gig prices are outrageous.

As for the streaming of ROOT - never liked ROOT. They don't seem to be "connected" to the teams they provide or the community around them. It's like the Jazz contract is a side note of their channel. What else do they really carry in the Utah market??? Rockies baseball. And that's their baby. There are too many channels today and too many can't keep up with the technology that is changing daily now. TV is going to change a lot in the next five years IMO.

Isn't the point that you're using way less data because you're constantly jumping from hotspot to hotspot?

Six years ago, I went to work for an Ogden manufacturing company. The company employs several hundred blue collar workers who make a decent wage in maintenance, operations, and shipping. Being forty miles from Salt Lake City, you would think these workers were casual-to-avid Jazz fans. They weren't. No one, and I mean NO ONE talked about the Jazz at work. Many were avid football fans and a few followed baseball, but every time I would try to bring up NBA basketball, I just got blank looks.

And then I realized that the sports they talked about were sports they could watch on regular TV, without subscribing to cable or a streaming service. I wonder if the NBA even realizes (or cares) about losing this large segment of potential fans. Had I not become a Jazz fan back in the days when you could watch their games on free TV, I doubt I would even bother with them today.

[TWEET]1426409[/TWEET]

ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain is based in Denver, and you can tell. For one, check out their twitter feed... 95% Rockies, 3% Jazz. But I think it comes out in other programming choices as well. I think this has frustrated the Jazz.

I suspect that when the deal is done in 2020, the Jazz will find another way to go. I don't know if KJZZ is the answer (the Jazz no longer own KJZZ, so they'd have to make a deal with KUTV), but I would guess they'll find something else. I also wonder if they'll go with a shorter deal, given the change in the TV markets recently.

This solution really only helps people who already subscribe to the DirectTV Now or PlayStation thingy imo. Bundling cable and internet seems like a better option already.

I suspect that when the deal is done in 2020, the Jazz will find another way to go. I don't know if KJZZ is the answer (the Jazz no longer own KJZZ, so they'd have to make a deal with KUTV), but I would guess they'll find something else. I also wonder if they'll go with a shorter deal, given the change in the TV markets recently.

I seem to recall that when they went to what became ROOT, that they were getting more money from the cable regional sports network (RSN) than they could have gathered from carrying the broadcast themselves on their channel in advertising. Basically the RSN overpaid. I'm interested to see how that landscape changes the next 5-10 years as ESPN continues its layoffs, people move to alternate forms of delivery of channels where my grandma is no longer subsidizing my sports programming because she just 'had a package with ESPN/ROOT/FSN in it', TV money stops accelerating at a crazy rate (gasp?!?!), and ultimately salaries of the players start to level out as a result. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it but I would assume that is how this will work...

I seem to recall that when they went to what became ROOT, that they were getting more money from the cable regional sports network (RSN) than they could have gathered from carrying the broadcast themselves on their channel in advertising. Basically the RSN overpaid. I'm interested to see how that landscape changes the next 5-10 years as ESPN continues its layoffs, people move to alternate forms of delivery of channels where my grandma is no longer subsidizing my sports programming because she just 'had a package with ESPN/ROOT/FSN in it', TV money stops accelerating at a crazy rate (gasp?!?!), and ultimately salaries of the players start to level out as a result. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it but I would assume that is how this will work...

MLBAM

Disney now owns a 3rd of it and will be majority owners in 3 years. They already stream NHL and PGA Tour on top of MLB. Disney will offer a streaming service direct to the consumer soon.