What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I think Giannis and AD are superstars whether or not they have the ball in their hands or not. I think that is the difference. Tying yourself to Luka, Harden, and some of those types of dominant stars means the ball is in their hands way more and everything needs to suit that style and account for their weaknesses. So I think it’s a little different.

Overall I agree with what you are saying… if those guys suck or get hurt then you are going to sink… but i think it’s the fact you can use those guys in a variety of ways and they provide a ton of value on or off ball.

I have my reservations about all the potential star trades… the all in trades don’t have a great success rate ( most strategies don’t) but at least we can use picks from other teams and don’t have to mortgage our future.
Ya that makes sense. I see the difference. And I agree, if all the superstars in the league were available and all the teams were willing to trade them to the jazz then luka wouldn't be my #1 choice.
btw, who would be your number 1 pick if you had your pick? We keep lauri and kessler in this scenario. I might go with tatum. He kinda ball dominant too but I dont necessarily think that your best player being ball dominant is a bad thing.

As they should. unfortunately i think either he is untouchable right now or the price is more than I would want to pay. And Im someone who really really wants luka. They probably want something like 5 draft picks, lauri and kessler or something like that. Luka is a super duper star who is young and under contract (and not too expensive in the grand scheme of things) for multiple future years. they either keep him or ask for the biggest trade compensation in history.

I don't know, how often do players of Luka's caliber ever become available? If it were to actually happen (and it's probably a big if) I think I would pony up whatever it takes to get a deal done. I just can't imagine having this many assets and passing on the opportunity to trade for a top 5 talent because the asking price is too high.

I get that. Beggars can’t be choosers and if we’re fortunate enough to land him, I’d be happy. Just saying that it doesn’t entirely come with pure peace of mind for me.

If I could be a chooser, I think Luka has a strong argument for #1 choice. If we're talking about guys that could realistically be traded or demand a trade soon, I can't really think of anyone who I'd put ahead of him.

I don't know, how often do players of Luka's caliber ever become available? If it were to actually happen (and it's probably a big if) I think I would pony up whatever it takes to get a deal done. I just can't imagine having this many assets and passing on the opportunity to trade for a top 5 talent because the asking price is too high.
And, elephant in the room, top 5 American born players arent going to stay in Utah if you trade for them.

I dont know if Luka would stay, but the odds are probably higher.

Ya that makes sense. I see the difference. And I agree, if all the superstars in the league were available and all the teams were willing to trade them to the jazz then luka wouldn't be my #1 choice.
btw, who would be your number 1 pick if you had your pick? We keep lauri and kessler in this scenario. I might go with tatum. He kinda ball dominant too but I dont necessarily think that your best player being ball dominant is a bad thing.
If for some strange reason the nba decided to start over and do all new teams by implementing a draft, who do you think the first 5 picks would be?

And, elephant in the room, top 5 American born players arent going to stay in Utah if you trade for them.

I dont know if Luka would stay, but the odds are probably higher.

It sucks and I wish it wasn't the case...but this is absolutely true.

Durant last year at the deadline? Does that count or is he too old?

Pretty much never, especially when they are 24 years old. We can have a 100 page thread on what exactly is "fair" in a trade for Luka, but at the end of the day, is one or two picks extra picks really going to miss on this opportunity (if it even exists)? I think you have to do it.

There are questions about Luka, but there are questions about pretty much everyone before they win a chip. They said you couldn't win with Giannis, until he did. Same with Dirk and everyone else who wasn't placed into a championship situation right out of the gate. People even said these things about Curry and LeBron before they won.

The only concern I would have about trading for him is the potential for him to leave, but that risk exists for every player and Luka is a better bet to stay as others have mentioned.

Amazing question... I think I'd prefer Giannis just because I think hes an amazing player and human. I think its probably Luka second... I think Tatum and even guys like Booker would get some consideration since they are so flexible. I'd also consider Steph and KD but age is an issue there.

I just think in general these star trades are a bit dangerous. Basketball Illuminati podcast covered the all-in trades on their pod and the history isn't great. All building strategies are flawed and theoretically we could keep our picks and trade for one of these guys (if they were available). so it may not be like a complete catastrophe.

Thing is, I dont want to be this seasons mavs and have luka with no playoffs. We give up whatever it takes and that is probably the result.

They wouldnt get Walker or Lauri. That's not how these trades work.
If thats the case then the answer is duh. Of course we make the trade. Hell, im willing to include kessler in the trade.

Durant last year at the deadline? Does that count or is he too old?
Too old. Also, how long is his contract? Is it as long as luka's is? I bet durants contract is also more expensive. So ya, apples to oranges.

The only concern I would have about trading for him is the potential for him to leave, but that risk exists for every player and Luka is a better bet to stay as others have mentioned.
And he is under contract for a few more years too, which is nice. The yearly amount isn't crazy either like Dame's for example.

Too old. Also, how long is his contract? Is it as long as luka's is? I bet durants contract is also more expensive. So ya, apples to oranges.
looked it up. Luka is under contract for 4 more years!!!. That is awesome. No year is even at 50 million either. 40 million, 43 million, 45 million, 48 million.
Durant is 3 more years at 47, 51, 54 million. Luka has a way better contract. No way is luka getting traded guys. If he were to be traded the mavs would want lauri, kessler, Ochai, sexton, and 10 draft picks or something lol.

Didn’t he just sign a new deal?
Luka is under contract for 4 more years!!!. That is awesome. No year is even at 50 million either. 40 million, 43 million, 45 million, 48 million.
Durant is 3 more years at 47, 51, 54 million. Luka has a way better contract. And is WAY younger.