What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I don’t dislike him, but I don’t want to see the Jazz burn cap space and assets to backup Kessler like they did with Gobert. Buy a 2nd round pick for a guy like TJS, add a cheap veteran and call it good.
He can function alongside Walker a bit because of his shooting. He would be 14-15 minutes of backup and 5-6 minutes at pf. He's also young so there may be a few more steps in his development. When you have injuries you don't fall off a cliff.

Price has to be appropriate but he would be an asset imo... if you made a move later he could be part of the salary/benefit. We are still in asset accumulation mode... have enough draft assets... this would hopefully give us another good asset that actually provides some on court value. Our cap space the next two years will have a low likelihood of being used completely efficiently. In two years the cap is 150% of what it is now and the contract looks great. If its more than MLE then nah... equal or less than MLE sign me up.

If I were the Jazz and I got Austin Reaves I wouldn’t be starting him at the two. He’d be at the one. Especially because Agbaji is projecting as the starting two next season. That would be a really good backcourt
Hell yeah. I thought I was crazy for thinking that was a thing, but yes, I’ve been considering that as huge upside.

Austin Reaves has an assist % of 13.8% and an assist ratio of 21.9%. Are we confusing who this guy is just because he is capable of passing a little?

(for comparison prime Joe Ingles has had an assist % of 26.2% and an assist ratio of 30.9%)
Brother he's been playing with Russell Westbrook and Lebron James for most of the season. Parse out when those two guys left and be amazed.

I think VanVleet is the obvious target for a reason. I think he'd have to change his game slightly to make more of a fit. More of a facilitator. His 3pt% is down, but are they harder 3s? 41% corner threes, so I assume he'd be 38-40 with easier looks.
FVV has been playing markedly better with the addition of Poetl, a pick n roll big.

I’m good with going out and getting a starting PG. It’s definitely a need right now. Would love to see Reaves, but think that’s a long shot for a couple of reasons.

I’d be fine with the Jazz giving him a poison pill contract offer. There’s little downside to it. Either they get another young guy with potential to be a diamond, or the Lakers have to match a toxic contract due to the Gilbert Arenas rule.

However, IF the Lakers fail to match, you’d better be sure that his contract ages better than Evan Fournier or Duncan Robinson’s did.

Unless they are moving on from Sexton, without doing that experimental thing with him at that point, like they maybe wanted to do this season. I am wondering if he gets those minutes early in the season, and only moved to 6th man or 2 guard if the team suffers for it.
I don't see DA picking up a point guard in the draft in the lottery. Not if it means passing on a harder to find archetype . If one is there at 15 so be it.
Either way gotta be one or more of JC left , Sexton was moved, or THT opted out and left as well to think a guard is our first choice.
Hardy aint playing Hood or Wallace for example as the starting point guard ,any more than he played Ochai early if those other options are in front of him.
Only reason Walker got the job right away was no better options. Even his minutes were not really gifted either, since he was playing outstanding.

I honestly don’t know what it would take to land Reaves. This is like Linsanity… but he’s better?

25 points on 10 shots, 10 assists (2 turnovers), cleanly lead the Lakers in +/- in a win against the Suns.

Imagine if the Jazz could’ve gotten him as a throw in…

I read Blazers real GM board Damian Lillard has made very clear to Blazers he doesn't want to stay if Blazers go rebuild.
Should Danny Ainge try a trade for Lillard if he comes available and does Jazz have assets on that without giving Lauri?

@NUMBERICA was right about Reaves, Hill Billy Kobe is nice af.
Sign him and draft Gradey D!ck

D!ck, Kessler, Lauri, and HBK would be the 4 horseman of the apocalypse

I read Blazers real GM board Damian Lillard has made very clear to Blazers he doesn't want to stay if Blazers go rebuild.
Should Danny Ainge try a trade for Lillard if he comes available and does Jazz have assets on that without giving Lauri?

The Jazz definitely have the assets. I'm not sure how Ainge would feel about trading for Dame given his age and contract, but it's definitely interesting to think about. Dame and Lauri would be quite the duo.

I still wouldn't want Dame right now, not unless we could restructure his contract for less of a cap hit or something, idk. He is going to take way too much of the cap right when we need to be loading up. Look how the Blazers have loaded up around him, on paper that should be a top 4 team in the west easily, yet they are looking at the play-in yet again. Not sure how he helps as he starts to be a declining asset taking up an ungodly amount of the cap right when we need to be peaking in 2-3 years. So unless he agrees to end his contract and sign for less then no way.

Last edited: