What's new

RSL thread

I really want to go to this myself sounds like the atmosphere could be really extra amped for this game. I've been to several games over the years but usually I'm the most knowledgeable fan out of the people I go with which is sad cause I hardly know jack and I do pick up more and more each game I watch or go to but still compared to my Jazz and basketball familiarity I'm sorely lacking.
Plus I'm usually close or in the family section and understandably so it seems less rowdy then most of the other parts of the stadium, so one of these days maybe that will finally change but running out of time for it to be this Wed. game.

I just hope the players don't get big heads and think they have the game in the bag.
I hate it when "my" team gets cocky then loses..... that would suck.
I hope they come out with a chip on the shoulder and dominate.

0-0 or 1-1 means RSL win, right? Don't they go to road goals after a tie?

That's correct. Aggregate score in this "best-of-two" series is the first determinant, followed by road goals. So 0-0 or 1-1, RSL wins the series. 3-3 or a higher draw, and Monterrey wins the series.

The major difference between CONCACAF and say, UEFA, is that in the event of a 2-2 tie at the end of regulation, the "away goals" rule is discarded. So if in the 30-minute OT, each team scores a goal and it's 3-3 at the end of OT, they go to penalty kicks (where in European tournaments the visiting team would be declared the winner on the away goal rule).

Hope that clears things up. Frickin' soccer.

little bit o' purdy info for yas:

real-infographic.jpg

I'm sure some of you know but a good place to park for Rio Tinto stuff is Jordan High School. Not too far away, easy to get out of, and free.

Still trying to figure this out. So if Real only loses by a score of 1-to-0, or ties 1-1, then they still advance? If it's tied 2-2, it goes to overtime and then penalty kicks if need be?

Still trying to figure this out. So if Real only loses by a score of 1-to-0, or ties 1-1, then they still advance? If it's tied 2-2, it goes to overtime and then penalty kicks if need be?

Not quite. It's aggregate score, and the first leg was 2-2. So a 1-0 loss (or any loss) and they would lose. Any win and they win. It's the ties that get complicated.

0-0 tie = RSL wins
1-1 tie = RSL wins
2-2 tie = overtime, PK if necessary
3-3 tie = Monterrey wins
4-4 tie = Monterrey wins
5-5, 6-6, etc. = Monterrey wins

There will be a test later.

It's kind of weird, but it's hard to find a good solution to fairly determine the best of two unseeded teams. It's either play on a neutral site or go with this home-and-home strangeness.

Hopefully RSL makes it easy math on us and just wins outright.

Here's the slightly revised RSL intro for tonight's game. It's quite epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrAhuBxVg8

I'm sure some of you know but a good place to park for Rio Tinto stuff is Jordan High School. Not too far away, easy to get out of, and free.

Another good place to park that I've found is if you get off at 9000 south and head down the road where club 90 is there's some good parking there. There's paid parking at an apartment/condo complex, but DO NOT go there! One you have to pay and two it takes FOREVER to get out. There's some parking just south of classic skating in front of some warehouses that is free, easy to get out of, and a very short walk. Quite a bit shorter than from Jordan High.

Do they let you cut right through to Rio Tinto on a straight line or do you have to go around on the sidewalk? JHS is only a block away from Rio Tinto. Also I've seen that frontage road after a game, it's brutal. But you could sneak out that road to the west of the warehouses and probably make a good getaway.

The past week has seemed SO long waiting for this game. Good thing the NBA playoffs have been spectacular.