What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

Blake Griffin WAS a really good player. Now he's prime Kris Humphries on a max contract.
We can debate Blake all day and disagree. Thats okay.

The task now is making sure Conley fits or maximizing him through trade prior to the deadline. If we are going all in, we gotta max out every asset.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I swear y’all crazy. Not sure I can handle the board the next few years... if Rudy doesn’t get 40 and 20 every night and lead us to 3 consecutive titles all the “cap experts” will talk about how the Rudy deal messes up all teh cap spaces and now we can never win a title.
Well we managed to survive all the "DL is incompetent and ruining this team" lunacy a few weeks back ;)

Well it’s a **** ton of money but honestly I think he is the most important player on our team. Without him we arent ****. He is the rare unicorn that you only get once in a great while. I think he will age really well because of how well he takes care of his body, and his size. He is our version of Duncan.

I am stoked to have the guy around for the long term. How refreshing is it to have a dude be fully committed to Utah? Nothing but love for the guy. Let’s get the chip!

My guess is the deal is guaranteed to be 5/195 because I believe that is the amount that has to be guaranteed to do a five year deal. Guessing there may be 10M in incentives... not a huge deal either way... just my guess.

The difference is about a minimum contract a season. Seriously, it’s not a huge deal. I don’t know how “he can be a legend” for taking the normal max...but somehow $205 is a disaster.

The Jazz have locked in a 50ish team win for the next 4-6 years by having Mitchell and Gobert alone. That’s exciting. They just need to hit on the margins to elevate themselves even further. This gives them a lot of time and chances to do that.

This is so much better than the path of scrapping to make the playoffs for the next 3-4 years until Mitchell demands out.

Who? Ingles is a pseudo PG and that makes him valuable to us given Mitchell is not a pure PG.
Ingles is not likely to play pg at the pace the Jazz are now playing and we have him signed for the next 2 years anyway. I mean, worst case, we could find his replacement the same way we found him, at the bargain bin of the local Goodwill.

We could also sign Conley back at a reduced rate as we hold his rights as well. I'd probably just roll with Oni.

The difference is about a minimum contract a season. Seriously, it’s not a huge deal. I don’t know how “he can be a legend” for taking the normal max...but somehow $205 is a disaster.

The Jazz have locked in a 50ish team win for the next 4-6 years by having Mitchell and Gobert alone. That’s exciting. They just need to hit on the margins to elevate themselves even further. This gives them a lot of time and chances to do that.

This is so much better than the path of scrapping to make the playoffs for the next 3-4 years until Mitchell demands out.
Its not a disaster that he got $10 million more or more, but it will hold him to a higher standard I hope he can meet for all our sakes.

And if this deal is so good and makes our team so good, why are people speculating that Don forces his way out in 3-4 years?

I'm glad we kept him. I question the deal, but we are at least 4- 5 years away from evaluating it. I'm done questioning it. It is what it is.

This is the 3rd largest deal of all time. Its the largest deal ever for a center. Rudy hasn't been able to carry us to the 2nd round. Rudy is not a very marketable player.

As of today, 12/20/20, its a bad deal. Its a deal about the next few years not the last few.

The measuring stick is winning. I believe Rudy will be worth the first 3 years of this deal. We will see in 4 years.

I have faith in this team. Keeping Rudy was for the best. Now we have to go win something.

You didn't answer the question.

How is Rudy's contract worse than the players he mentioned, many/all of whom meet your criteria above while being worse players?

Its not a disaster that he got $10 million more or more, but it will hold him to a higher standard I hope he can meet for all our sakes.

And if this deal is so good and makes our team so good, why are people speculating that Don forces his way out in 3-4 years?

I'm glad we kept him. I question the deal, but we are at least 4- 5 years away from evaluating it. I'm done questioning it. It is what it is.

If we didn’t sign him, it was guarantee that Mitchell would ask out. We’d struggle to make the playoffs.

Even if he still wants to leave, at least we were the best team possible while he was still here. When you have these players, you win as much as you can.

Honestly, I we could win a championship and I still wouldn’t believe Don is a lifer. Make the most of him while he’s still. That’s always been my view on things. Struggling to make the playoffs does not sound like a good way to spend the rest of Mitchell’s time here.

You didn't answer the question.

How is Rudy's contract worse than the players he mentioned, many/all of whom meet your criteria above while being worse players?
John Wall is the worst guy on your list. So let's use him.

When Wall got 4 years, $171 million, he had accomplished more than Rudy has accomplished prior to his 5 year $205 million deal. Wall was All-NBA, a 5 time All Star and was the leader of a team that made it to the 2nd round twice.

Before Rudy has played a minute of his extension, I'm saying it's one of the worst value deals of all time. HOWEVER, he has the ability to earn that contract and make it a fair deal and maybe even a good deal.

So when the deal was signed, Wall was a better deal than Rudy. I do think Rudy's deal will end up being better than Wall's after games are played.

Well we managed to survive all the "DL is incompetent and ruining this team" lunacy a few weeks back ;)
Some of it was valid... we ended up lucking out a bit and the youngins look good enough.

Because Donovan planned on leaving regardless so you may as well stay good while you can.

John Wall is the worst guy on your list. So let's use him.

When Wall got 4 years, $171 million, he had accomplished more than Rudy has accomplished prior to his 5 year $205 million deal. Wall was All-NBA, a 5 time All Star and was the leader of a team that made it to the 2nd round twice.

Before Rudy has played a minute of his extension, I'm saying it's one of the worst value deals of all time. HOWEVER, he has the ability to earn that contract and make it a fair deal and maybe even a good deal.

So when the deal was signed, Wall was a better deal than Rudy. I do think Rudy's deal will end up being better than Wall's after games are played.

Wall was not more accomplished. He played in the East. Rudy is 3x all NBA. 4x all defense. 2x DPOY. Same amount of playoff advances but they came in the west. You really think eastern conference all star is better than that? Rudy has one more year to add more accolades too. Wall was also a true supermax. 35% of the cap.

The only thing that makes this a bad deal is if the alternative was better. Still waiting on someone to muster up a realistic path without Rudy that isn’t horrible or horribly unrealistic.

Well Rudy has enough money to buy a French Island somewhere. I hope DL and JZ know what they're doing. The consensus on Realgm ranges from "awful" to "worst contract in the league".

He should buy a mountain in Utah and name it the Stifle Tower.

Also, to those using the “Rudy’s deal is the 3rd largest ever” okay and? That’s a bad meter IMO. Every max deal going forward will also be bigger.....because the cap will continue rising. It was a difficult situation to be in. Be glad he didn’t get the $244 million he qualified for. You all realize his play qualified him for this contract right? Some of you upset over this contract wouldn’t hesitate to give Donovan a full 35% super-max. Which is no better.

PS I’m excited to see what Rudy does with this money in our community as well because he absolutely will do a lot of good.

Wall was not more accomplished. He played in the East. Rudy is 3x all NBA. 4x all defense. 2x DPOY. Same amount of playoff advances but they came in the west. You really think eastern conference all star is better than that? Rudy has one more year to add more accolades too. Wall was also a true supermax. 35% of the cap.

The only thing that makes this a bad deal is if the alternative was better. Still waiting on someone to muster up a realistic path without Rudy that isn’t horrible or horribly unrealistic.
We won't know how good or bad this deal is for a long, long time.

Hell, we still don't know how bad the Wall deal is. He still has half of it left.

I'm going to be positive and hope he earns the contract. I hope we win big games. I'm hopeful.