What's new

Rudy Gobert is selected to NBA All - Defensive 1st Team

I'm pretty sure all Rudy cares about is rings **** all this, the rockets and warriors are still playing and we are not.

Mitchell winning would be the just decision.

However, unless voters let playoffs performance sway them (it's not supposed to), Simmons is going to win. For them to share the award, they'd have to get equal number of points. Which is very unlikely.
I think they vote before the playoffs start.

The first time I saw Rudy play in person I knew he was special. Nov 18, 2013 Golden State vs Utah Jazz.

It was the season of the Big 4 plus Trey Burke. The vets were gone and core-4 were going to take us to the promised land. But the hype ran out quickly that year as the Jazz led by Ty Corbin were 1-11, and the rookie Trey Burke was out with a broken finger I believe. The Warrior rolled into town 8-3 having just beaten the Jazz 2 nights earlier in Oakland.

With 2:10 left in the first quarter, and the Warrior leading 19-14, Rudy Gobert entered the game for Enes Kanter and the Warriors missed their next 3 shots before Coach Ty subbed him out of the game 1:26 later. During that brief court appearance Rudy showed how special he was. As I recall, Andrew Bogut was really going hard at Rudy, there was pushing shoving and talking...and the rookie Rudy did something no other Jazz player was willing to do...he fought back. It was like the rest of the jazz had already decided they were going to lose and were just going through the motions. Rudy fought, he competed, he didn't back down. I was in disbelief when Corbin took him out of the game.

Rudy didn't get back into the game until 3:58 left in the 4th Qtr...the jazz were losing 96-73. The next 3 plays were...a missed shot in the paint by GS, a lay-up by Rudy and a block by rudy. Rudy's energy ignited a run by the Jazz cutting the GS lead to 11, prompting Mark Jackson to put his starters back in. If I recall there was even an exchange of sorts between Rudy and a young Warrior named Draymond Green.

Rudy was a +17 for the game in about 5 minutes, it was impressive to watch his energy and attitude impact the game.

Love you Rudy. Thanks for caring, thanks for competing, and congratulations on your well deserved selection to NBA first team defense.

I love the voters.

48 wins for OKC and 47 for the Wolves: 2 All-NBA players each.

65 for the Rockets. 1 All-NBA player.

I love the voters.

48 wins for OKC and 47 for the Wolves: 2 All-NBA players each.

65 for the Rockets. 1 All-NBA player.

Who else on the Rockets belonged, in place of whom? Paul over Curry? Capela over Towns?

With the attention Davis is getting, such as all-nba first team, in the running for MVP, etc. I could see them giving him the DPOY, almost as a consolation prize for not getting MVP. These aren't really a reflection of who are really the best player at whatever, it is always perception, and in the case of these awards, group-think and perception. So where the buzz is likely gets the nod. So I could easily see Davis as DPOY (and frankly he is absolutely among the best defenders in the league, so it wouldn't be a snub really), and of course Simmons will get ROY, since that is where the buzz is. Until we get more buzz here we will miss out on a lot of these.

Who else on the Rockets belonged, in place of whom? Paul over Curry? Capela over Towns?
Good comment. In this case we have an all-world player, likely the best player in the world this year, in Harden, an aging #2 who can still take over when needed but isn't really in the top 10 anymore in the league in terms of individual contribution, and a very solid tier 2 that goes 4 players deep. Add into this good coaching and a solid team gameplan and you get 65 wins, but it isn't because literally everyone on that team is better than everyone else on any other team at their position.

I doubt the Jazz this year had anyone in the top 20 or maybe even 25 of best players realistically. The voters didn't give us anyone until what, 17? Yet we were 5th in a very competitive western conference, literally a single win from 4th, due primarily to team play over individual ability.

With the attention Davis is getting, such as all-nba first team, in the running for MVP, etc. I could see them giving him the DPOY, almost as a consolation prize for not getting MVP.

How would anyone know that he didn't get MVP when they were turning in their DPOY votes?

With the attention Davis is getting, such as all-nba first team, in the running for MVP, etc. I could see them giving him the DPOY, almost as a consolation prize for not getting MVP.

Not happening for two reasons. First is he's not better than Rudy on that end and Rudy's impact to this team was beyond any statistical doubt. Second is Rudy players much better when he's pissed. he's already motivated, but an angry Gobert will literally eat the souls of anyone who challenged him. It's already enough that he's slightly pissed and wants to get better with the ball in his hands (just him being Gobert, not an indictment of anyone on the team).

Who are the two knuckleheads who didn't vote for Rudy to make either team? Let me guess, voters from Philly and New Orleans

Don't take it personal brother. This happens every time when these votes happen. Like you said some knuckleheads. Philly sportswriters got 2 players on the 2 teams not sure why they would be salty.

How would anyone know that he didn't get MVP when they were turning in their DPOY votes?
First, Harden dominated the discussion regarding MVP voting, and it wasn't even close. Second, I think it is naive to think these guys all vote in a vacuum and never discuss their votes with any other voters.

Not happening for two reasons. First is he's not better than Rudy on that end and Rudy's impact to this team was beyond any statistical doubt. Second is Rudy players much better when he's pissed. he's already motivated, but an angry Gobert will literally eat the souls of anyone who challenged him. It's already enough that he's slightly pissed and wants to get better with the ball in his hands (just him being Gobert, not an indictment of anyone on the team).
You only quoted part of what I said, taking it out of context. I added in that I do not think this is really a true reflection of actual ability or impact, it isn't an objective study of statistics and intangibles in some master formula generating a 98% certainty of the best player, it is largely a popularity contest. I am sure many of the voters, if not all (I hardly ever say "all" of anything, as it nearly always isn't true), try to make their vote based on who they think is the best player in that role (DPOY, MVP, all-nba, etc.), but I also think that hype, local bias, and national media attention factors into it a lot. And in this regard, Davis got a lot more press than Gobert, there was more buzz around him, and rightly so with his 2-way impact on the game, and so I will not be surprised at all if he gets the nod as DPOY. And I do not mean buzz as just a defensive player, but rather as a legit candidate for MVP. Lots of media attention will influence votes, imo.

You only quoted part of what I said, taking it out of context. I added in that I do not think this is really a true reflection of actual ability or impact, it isn't an objective study of statistics and intangibles in some master formula generating a 98% certainty of the best player, it is largely a popularity contest. I am sure many of the voters, if not all (I hardly ever say "all" of anything, as it nearly always isn't true), try to make their vote based on who they think is the best player in that role (DPOY, MVP, all-nba, etc.), but I also think that hype, local bias, and national media attention factors into it a lot. And in this regard, Davis got a lot more press than Gobert, there was more buzz around him, and rightly so with his 2-way impact on the game, and so I will not be surprised at all if he gets the nod as DPOY. And I do not mean buzz as just a defensive player, but rather as a legit candidate for MVP. Lots of media attention will influence votes, imo.

Doesn't change anything that I pointed out. Trolling through the fishwraps, blogs, vids, and interviews, Gobert is pretty much the consensus DPOY and the votes were cast a long while ago.

First, Harden dominated the discussion regarding MVP voting, and it wasn't even close. Second, I think it is naive to think these guys all vote in a vacuum and never discuss their votes with any other voters.

Close to side commentary alert:

The media gonna be the media. Last year they leaned on the players voting Harden, so this year "he deserves it". The only player I would have voted over LeBron in what, 10 years? is Steph's insane 2016 season.

Plus, what Steph did that year was possibly the linchpin that finally forced the NBA to go all in on what once was Nellie ball and adapted by D'Antoni into what every team strives for today. Does anyone remember the times Don Nelson was criticized in national media and even Marv Albert, The Voice of Basketball, commenting on it during Don's GSW stint that he was fired from? They did the same to D'Antoni and both were fired several times. The reason both kept employment was because those who are actually in the know understand talent and the media and the rest of us are uninformed idiots with an opinion.

I imagine most firings are "dude, you know I love you and respect you, but the media and fans are going ******* so we have to part ways. Let's go out for a drink and contact a few GM's that are interested in hiring you".

Media is little more than a mirror of citizen perception. They cater to that combined with groupthink pushing whatever the hell is the popular leading edge.