What's new

Rudy Gobert is the equivalent to having the best offensive and defensive line on an NFL team.

framer

I finally think that is the correct comparison. Rudy Gobert is the equivalent to having the best offensive and defensive line on an NFL team. The NBA is just like what the NFL would be if we weren't allowed to talk about line play.

Emmett Smith was a damn fine football player and set a number of records when he played. Got the glory, got the contract, got the endorsements. His offensive line was probably one of the best to ever play, and deserve the primary credit for those rushing yards. Not one of those guys were thought about as an MVP. Most fans, even older guys probably couldn't name one of them. But the greatest thing that Jerry Jones ever did was spend his Hershel Walker money on putting that line together.

A great defensive line sets the terms for a game. You basically have x amount of time to pass the ball and run your routes. If you want 100 yards rushing you will need to spend x amount of attempts to get there. If your offense can't function inside those perimeters, you lose. However, people only care about sacks (mostly by linebackers) and interceptions (mostly by cornerbacks.) To be fair here, though Rudy gets that coverage too. And can shut down half the field like prime Dion Sanders.

That is why I laugh at people who say that Rudy got overpaid. Look what teams pay for their lines, even when fans generally don't understand their worth. Most of the teams in the NBA would have given Rudy that contract if they were able unless they were complete morons.

That concludes my Ted Talk.

3-4 years ago I posted a thread(or perhaps replied in another thread) saying that Rudy is a top-5 player in the league. There was some heated discussion about that. At the risk of sound like an "I-told-you-so" grumpy old man, is there anyone left willing to offer counter-arguments to this claim right now?

This is where my complete ignorance to football shows. I'm really good with baseball analogies.

3-4 years ago I posted a thread(or perhaps replied in another thread) saying that Rudy is a top-5 player in the league. There was some heated discussion about that. At the risk of sound like an "I-told-you-so" grumpy old man, is there anyone left willing to offer counter-arguments to this claim right now?
Pffft. . . According to that stupid countdown thread he isn't even top 12 Jazz Centers all-time!

Rudy deserves some good boxing metaphors, too. The way he plays rope-a-dope with drivers is a thing of beauty.
I just love that moment when rookies and second year players go to the hoop against him like they are the first to think of doing it. I'd love to see that sense of excitement, exhilaration, and hope right before Rudy smacks them right back into the reality of long midrange purgatory.

I just love that moment when rookies and second year players go to the hoop against him like they are the first to think of doing it. I'd love to see that sense of excitement, exhilaration, and hope right before Rudy smacks them right back into the reality of long midrange purgatory.

Or the drive-by nope-nope, as they dribble in, see him with his arms out, then just turn and dribble right back out. Love that.

It's similar to the super bowl this year. While Brady is an outstanding quarterback if he was getting pressured by the chiefs like mahoms was it'd have been a different game. Bucs d line was the main reason they won the game.

Or the drive-by nope-nope, as they dribble in, see him with his arms out, then just turn and dribble right back out. Love that.
This is my favorite. I see it a couple of times every game and always chuckle a little. Often times it's a wide open path to the hoop...... And Rudy. They like, nope nope, I'm outta here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app