What's new

Rudy Gobert, Primary scorer?

hawkeye

Rudy Gobert. Primary scorer?

Everyone is wondering the same thing. Where is our scoring going to come from this season? Is it that crazy to think that Rudy could improve even more on the offensive end that he becomes our #1 or #2 option? I know that today's NBA is all about the outside shot, but would we be successful with Rudy taking more high % shots in the post ala Shaq (not saying he is on Shaq's level, just comparing a primary post scorer).

2016 regular season stats for Gobert: 14 PPG, 12.8 RPG, 2.6 BPG, 7.2 FGA

2016 Post all star stats : 16.7 PPG, 13.1 RPG, 3.0 BPG, 9.2 FGA

If we bumped up his FGA to 14-16 per game and surround him with 3pt shooters, Rubio and a healthy Favors. What does that offense look like?

If he actually develops a single go-to move, 2 moves would be better, say a little push shot and a jump-hook in the lane, then he could be a decent scorer. But if he is the primary scorer we will score about 80 points per night. Nope.

It's getting late and I have work in the morning so I can't dive deep into it. Just pointing out that his post all star game points average was 16.7 PPG. In the regular season, he scored 16+ points 29 times. In those 29 games, the Jazz went 22-7.

Obviously there is more to look at, like game story and who else played well and what not. I'll dive deeper into this tomorrow, but right now it looks like if he is either the high scorer or secondary scorer the better we do.

I don't think Gobert will ever be the primary scorer for the Jazz ,he's not natural on his moves ,too mechanical.But he's a MAN inside now and he can make a living at the free throw line with Rubio and Exum feeding him dimes over and over.
I know Im minority but the best 5 need to play for the Jazz and I think Exum takes a big step to not only be in the top 5 but overall defense/offense top 3 this year and ready to assume being the best player by next year.

Last edited:
I guess could Rudy be the leading scorer, but he will never be the primary scorer.
Yeah, this. He won't be there first option on offense. But he could get enough pick and roll plays run with him, put backs and other baskets that he is our leading scorer. If I had to guess he will be around 16 or 17 points or so and Hood will be just slightly above at like 17 or 18 per game.

Gobert does not have the heavyweight as dominant as Shaq. Also he lacks the post game Shaq could go all the time. Gobert finds most of his points on rolls. If he wants to score more, he has to add inside/ close midrange shot and a few postup moves and more importantly postup game vision to dish the ball.

GH20

Having Rubio and Ingles as starters will help him. However his offensive production is significantly low when playing with Favors.

I'm visualizing a ton of alley oops from Rubio, like Chris Paul to Blake Griffin.