What's new

Rudy perimeter D

Douchebag K

Hey can anyone give me some stats or clips to demonstrate how good he is defending when he’s switched into players on the perimeter ?? Need to put some idiots in their place with the whole “Rudy gets burned blah blah” narrative

Are these numbers good bad? No idea how to read them.
Good. As infection said, opponents % against Rudy are lower in every category except 15 feet to inside the 3 pt line (and only a percent worse than average from there, which is where you want opponents to shoot from a moneyball perspective anyway. He is a beast inside, and better than average from 3.

Good. As infection said, opponents % against Rudy are lower in every category except 15 feet to inside the 3 pt line (and only a percent worse than average from there, which is where you want opponents to shoot from a moneyball perspective anyway. He is a beast inside, and better than average from 3.
One thing that may factor in is that when he's guarding the three point line, he's usually doing so because it's usually against better three point shooters. I don't have any numbers on that so I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

One thing that may factor in is that when he's guarding the three point line, he's usually doing so because it's usually against better three point shooters. I don't have any numbers on that so I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.
For his size and the lack of quickness that comes with long legs, he does great against many perimeter players. He has a hard time recovering from very quick players, but so do many defenders. His perimeter defense is very respectable for a big.

His overall defense is historically great.

thanks guys yeah he pulled up a clip from the Clippers last year .. when he was caught in no mans land I need to humiliate him.

thanks guys yeah he pulled up a clip from the Clippers last year .. when he was caught in no mans land I need to humiliate him.
the luka sequence posted above is my new go to. if you want an argument to make, you could pull up some clip of Rudy getting dunked on and say "oh because this happened he's obviously a bad interior defender, right?"

For his size and the lack of quickness that comes with long legs, he does great against many perimeter players. He has a hard time recovering from very quick players, but so do many defenders. His perimeter defense is very respectable for a big.

His overall defense is historically great.
His perimeter defense may not be lockdown, but he might be actually our best perimeter defender (or actually was prior to acquire House, as this season Royce been cooked all year), Rudy biggest problem as a perimeter defender is that when he is on the perimeter, there's no rim resistance inside (because most of the time, nearly all, the other guys alongside him on the floor either sucks on d or simply are too small and unathletic, when not all of that).

A big problem is that we still field the same 5 to end games, and at least one of them is having a bad year. Sub in House to close and we would be much better. But it's still essentially the same guys ending the games that got bitch-slapped last year.

Quin has got to go.

A big problem is that we still field the same 5 to end games, and at least one of them is having a bad year. Sub in House to close and we would be much better. But it's still essentially the same guys ending the games that got bitch-slapped last year.

Quin has got to go.
The problem is there are little to no adjustments, which is why the Nuggets and Clippers were both able to come back. The biggest problem is defense, where teams are exploiting us with wide open mid range shots as Rudy ends up in no-man's land trying to guard the paint and the perimeter since there is no one to protect the rim with him out. I would hope that Paschall, Gay and Juancho can help with that, but they aren't great interior defenders. I think Hassan and Rudy could cover the post and both corners, but would stifle the offense, especially since this team misses a lot of interior passes. They really need a stretch 4 that can defend and hit the 3 like a PJ Tucker. However, their lack of rotations on defense is often mind numbing to watch. It is really odd.

The problem is there are little to no adjustments, which is why the Nuggets and Clippers were both able to come back. The biggest problem is defense, where teams are exploiting us with wide open mid range shots as Rudy ends up in no-man's land trying to guard the paint and the perimeter since there is no one to protect the rim with him out. I would hope that Paschall, Gay and Juancho can help with that, but they aren't great interior defenders. I think Hassan and Rudy could cover the post and both corners, but would stifle the offense, especially since this team misses a lot of interior passes. They really need a stretch 4 that can defend and hit the 3 like a PJ Tucker. However, their lack of rotations on defense is often mind numbing to watch. It is really odd.
Agreed. And most of that is coaching and game planning, imo. Rigidity in rotation and schemes is what hurts us. What we are doing isn't working, so let's just double down on it and do the same thing...but harder! The more we beat our heads against the brick wall the faster the wall will break, right?

Agreed. And most of that is coaching and game planning, imo. Rigidity in rotation and schemes is what hurts us. What we are doing isn't working, so let's just double down on it and do the same thing...but harder! The more we beat our heads against the brick wall the faster the wall will break, right?
Exactly. My issue is we've been dealing with this for 10 years, I'm tired of it. I candidly have never liked him, and thought he was a poor coach at Missouri, so I may be biased as I've harped against him for a long time. It is mostly the defense that bothers me, although their offense is not enjoyable for me to watch.

I watch a ton of ball, and what GS and SAS do with their offense is awesome. I end up rewinding to re-watch a lot of plays. I just have this deeply seeded loyalty to the Jazz, so I continue to support them, but it has been hard to watch them for a while.