What's new

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

AtheistPreacher

Back on the old board we had a good thread about fantasy books ("Terry Goodkind and his books"). I was reminded of it yesterday when I came upon some lists of the top sci-fi and fantasy books, lists I hadn't seen before. So, I thought I'd start up the thread again and post said lists to wrangle about (the lists are clearly mostly ranked on popularity, otherwise Harry Potter and Twilight wouldn't be ranked so high).

Sci-Fi Books Top 100 (link)

I consider myself a sci-fan fan, but I've actually read depressingly few of these.

1 Ender's Game. Awesome book, probably my favorite sci-fi, except maybe for Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos. It's the sci-fi book that even people who don't like sci-fi have to like.
4 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Everyone knows this one. The sequels 2-4 are also good, but avoid book 5, it's just depressing and not even that funny.
5 1984. Forced to read it in high school. Meh.
13 Ringworld. My Dad got me to read this. It was okay, didn't leave a strong impression.
15 Hyperion. The first of a four-books series. Awesome stuff. They're of the huge, dense, convoluted brand of sci-fi. Simmons weaves so much into these it's a wonder they're not all 1,000 pages lonng instead of just 500. These and Ender's Game basically hold a tie as my favorites.
16 Brave New World. Again, had to read it for school. Fun stuff, though.
19 War of the Worlds. Pretty good. Better than the movies they put out, at least.
27 Speaker for the Dead. Not as good as Ender's Game, but Card's sequel is no slouch.
35 A Wrinkle in Time. Read this when I was about 10. I really don't remember it at all, I just know I did actually read it at some point.
38 Andromeda Strain. Oddly enough, summer read my freshman year of high school. Why they'd assign a Michael Crichton novel, I have no idea.
52 Frankenstein. Once again for school. I seemed to remember that it showed its age a bit. But this is another one where it's been so long I can't say much intelligent about it.
100 Old Man's War. By relatively new author John Scalzi, who recently became president of the SFWA. This one is military sci-fi in the tradition of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Speaking of Starship Troopers, that's one of the classics I decided I needed to pick up after looking at this list and realizing I had only read 12 of the top 100. I got Starship Troopers, because I figure I need to read at least one Heinlein novel, Asimov's Foundation, and Herbert's Dune. How I managed to avoid these books until now, I don't know. I certainly know of them. But I guess I tended to focus on the fantasy novels as a kid, I never bothered reading some of the sci-fi classics.

Fantasy Books Top 100 (link)

Now here I've read a fair bit.

1 Lord of the Rings. Uh, yeah, it's LOTR. If you don't at least know what this is, go ahead and kill yourself for being culturally illiterate. It was only the second-most-read book of the 20th century after the Bible (so not kidding). Not really my favorite fantasy anymore, but it will always be a classic.
2 Harry Potter. I'm not ashamed to say I read these and enjoyed them. #2 is a good rank for popularity... for literary merit, not so much.
3 The Hobbit. Again, no comment needed, really. I haven't read it in some time, I feel I should give it another look sometime soon.
4 Wheel of Time. I liked these through about book 5. I read through the middle of book 9, then quit in disgust. He just got way too bogged down. I might eventually pick it back up again and finish the series now that it's done, but that's low priority for me.
5 A Song of Ice and Fire. Kick-*** books, end of story. Definitely in my top tier of fantasy books. And now it's going to be an HBO series. Sweet! Now if he'd actually finish the next book that we've been waiting at least 5 years for. Grr...
6 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. 4 of the 5 entries above this one refer to a series of books, and obviously Narnia is a series as well, but for some reason they singled this one out. Hmm. Whatever. I've read them all, but it's been forever. All things considered, I'd rather read LOTR. The Christian allegory is a little too blatant for my tastes here.
7 The Belgariad. Eddings is known most for his humor and light tone. These books aren't afraid to constantly make fun of themselves, which is what makes them so much fun. The plot is banal (country bumpkin-turned sorcerer slays Evil God), but the characters are a blast. Great dialogue in these.
8 Wizard's First Rule. The first of a series of 11 books that starts out well and takes a steep nose-dive halfway through. The first 6 or so are good. The second book is the best. The latter books are so filled with Goodkind's f-ed up politics that I feel it would almost be worth the effort for me to track him down in person just to slap him upside the head.
11 Sword of Shannara. An all-too blatant LOTR ripoff (I mean, let's face it, there's a lot of LOTR ripoffs, but this one is epically similar, Brooks should be sued for copyright infingement). Needless to say, it really shouldn't be this high. I'll admit it was a page-turner, though.
13 The Farseer Trilogy. I discovered Robin Hobb in this thread on the old board, and man am I glad I did. They're possibly my favorite fantasy now. I made my brother read them a few months ago, and he's already re-reading them!
18 The Silmarillion. I actually haven't read the Silmarillion per se, but rather the first two Books of Lost Tales that are basically longer and unedited versions of it. It's actually really cool stuff, even richer than LOTR, but it is quite dense, and often feels like you're reading the Bible in a lot of ways. Archaic language and strange Norse-inspired gods, etc etc.
20 Watership Down. I love this book so much that I buy cheap copies at used books stores when I find them and give them away. It's that good. If you haven't read it, you should.
24 Princess Bride. Picked up the edited version some time after seeing the movie. Funny stuff. Not my favorite book ever, but it held water.
26 American Gods. Meh, Gaiman's good and all, not my favorite, though.
27 A Wrinkle in Time. Already mentioned this one, it was #35 in sci-fi.
31 Animal Farm. Read it for school. Good in a creepy distopian kind of way. I'd say it's somewhat of a stretch to call this "fantasy."
35 Good Omens. Co-written by Gaiman and Pratchett, about an angel and demon who become friends around the coming of the Anti-Christ. Hilarious stuff, they poke all kinds of fun at religion in general.
36 The Malloreon. More David Eddings. Almost as good as the Belgariad (#7, above), but not quite.
37 Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn. Read these years ago, didn't leave a strong impression.
39 Lord of the Flies. *shudders* I think I was required to read this something like 3 separate times throughout my schooling. Why do they inflict this book on children so relentlessly? And again, this is "fantasy"? Umm, sure.
40 Redwall. Brian Jacques pumps out something like one a year of these books, there's something like 20 of them now, all about little anthropomorphic woodland critters like mice and moles who fight the evil stoats and foxes. My brother really likes them (owns them all, I think), and I certainly like them. Mossflower is the best one.
42 Gardens of the Moon. Meh. Didn't really like the style. It is really big and epic and convoluted though, which I usually like.
43 The Odyssey. This is why this list clearly can't be based on merit. And anything written BC probably doesn't belong on a list full of books about people waving wands and throwing fireballs at each other.
45 The Once and Future King. Had to read it for school. Not bad.
50 The Chronicles of Prydain. These are what got me started reading fantasy in the first place. Great stuff, certainly meant for a younger crowd, but they still hold weight. Great character development, great emotion for relatively short and simple books.
52 Beowolf. Riiiiiight. Another book that has no business on this list.
53 Frankenstein. Already mentioned, #52 in sci-fi. Again, kind of a stretch for "fantasy".
58 Death Gate Cycle. Weis & Hickman. These were pretty good, I ended up giving them away, but now I wish I had kept them. Interesting world mechanics.
59 The Name of the Wind. This one is from a very recent author, Patrick Rothfuss. Good one to check out, the second book should be coming soon.
63 A Midsummer Night's Dream. *sigh* Shakespeare? Seriously? I really think this list needs to disqualify anything written before 1800.
77 The Last Unicorn. I'm nostalgic about the animated movie since I loved it as a kid. The book was good, but not really one of my favorites.
80 The Little Prince. A must-read. It's a short book (less than 100 pages) masquerading as a children's book. It's not, really. More like a fairy-tale that gently mocks adults who are a little too cynical for their own good. Forget #80, this should be up around #20 if it's on this list at all, or maybe even higher. I can post a PDF link if anyone's interested.
83 Black Company. Meh. Didn't like it.
88 The Cat in the Hat. One of these is not like the other... I mean, really? The token kids' picture book?
94 Inferno. *facepalm* Whoever thinks this is "fantasy" needs to be struck over the head repeatedly with a piece of heavy mining equipment. This doesn't belong on the list at all, and if it did qualify, it should be a hell of a lot higher.

So I've read 35 out of their top 100 fantasy books. A lot better than the 12 I had for sci-fi. I'm picking up the first book of Thomas Covenant (#25) by Stephen Donaldson off of a recommendation.

Anyway, feel free to list the books you've read, haggle about ranks, or just tell us what you're reading, make recommendations, etc.

EDIT: Updated dead links.

Last edited:
Any list that doesn't have The Dark Tower series on it isn't really a list. Easily the best series I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Also, The Silmarillion is one of the greatest of all time. If you loved LOTR, you will DIE when you read it. All of those unanswered questions that you had at the end of LOTR are answered, and the answers are bad frickin' ***. A must-read if you're into it at all.

Any list that doesn't have The Dark Tower series on it isn't really a list. Easily the best series I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Also, The Silmarillion is one of the greatest of all time. If you loved LOTR, you will DIE when you read it. All of those unanswered questions that you had at the end of LOTR are answered, and the answers are bad frickin' ***. A must-read if you're into it at all.
Dark Tower is on there for Fantasy... #16, actually. I just haven't read it, and I only listed and commented on the ones I've read. I figured people could click on the links rather than just do a big copy-paste.

Ah, I'm retarded.

That makes me feel better about things though. I would seriously put it in my top 5, and I consider myself a fairly voracious reader.

If I counted correctly, I've read 53 of the books from the S/F list and 52 of the books from the fantasy list.

And of the books I've read on those lists, I own about 2/3 of them. :)

Not enough time to add to the discussion today, though.

nerds.jpg

...said the guy who has read about 15 Star Wars novels.

Blech, I guess I don't read as much as I thought -- I've only read 17 of the 100 on the fantasy side, and only a handful of the sci-fi. I don't really like sci-fi, however.

As for recommendations, I fully support The Sword of Truth series, The Dark Tower series, The Silmarillion, LOTR trilogy, Dragon Tears by Koontz (I wasn't expecting it to be even close to as good as it was), and obviously, the Harry Potter series -- you can skip the first two books.

Last edited:
If I counted correctly, I've read 53 of the books from the S/F list and 52 of the books from the fantasy list.

And of the books I've read on those lists, I own about 2/3 of them. :)

Not enough time to add to the discussion today, though.
I am in awe of your nerdiness. I'd also be really interested in hearing your opinions on the books you've read, similar to what I've posted... especially the ones I haven't read myself, naturally.

Blech, I guess I don't read as much as I thought -- I've only read 17 of the 100 on the fantasy side, and only a handful of the sci-fi. I don't really like sci-fi, however.

As for recommendations, I fully support The Sword of Truth series, The Dark Tower series, The Silmarillion, LOTR trilogy, Dragon Tears by Koontz (I wasn't expecting it to be even close to as good as it was), and obviously, the Harry Potter series -- you can skip the first two books.
Sword of Truth pissed me off because the latter half was more about his politics than the story. I don't always mind allegory, but when it's that thinly disguised, not to mention allegory I disagree with, hard for me to enjoiy it.

Been a while since I read Potter (only read them once), but I do seem to remember book 4 being my favorite. They all kind of blur together for me now.

Haven't read Dark Tower or Dragon Tears. Care to give a few words about why you like those?

Haven't read Dark Tower or Dragon Tears. Care to give a few words about why you like those?

I am a Stephen King fan, but all of his stories are alike. I guess that's why I like him. Horror, suspense, thrills, and often stupid humor -- he's great at it. TDT series isn't like anything he's written. It is Spaghetti Western mixed with sci-fi, mixed with humor, mixed with Jedi's mixed with wizards (not the Gandalf type, but the 'real human' type) and *** kicking. Not to mention, the main character, Roland, the last Gunslinger, makes Richard Rhal and Aragorn look like little weak pimples. My favorite thing about the series is the constant referrences to characters from almost ALL of his books. They all tie into this magnum opus. Remember Father Callahan from Salem's Lot? He's a main character later in the series, but in a different when and where -- So F'ing cool.

As for Dragon Tears, it was a decieving title -- I expected it to be about dragons and wizzards, etc. Nope. It does have some excellent supernatural stuff in it that I would never have expected. I can't really explain it, it was just good. (sorry, I suck at this kind of thing, obviously)

While we're at it, one of the books that I COULD NOT put down for the first 400 pages was, Dream Catcher, by King. After about 400 pages, it turned into one of the worst books I've ever read. I've never been so disappointed in a book that had so much potential. The first half was easily some of his best work, imo.

I am a Stephen King fan, but all of his stories are alike. I guess that's why I like him. Horror, suspense, thrills, and often stupid humor -- he's great at it. TDT series isn't like anything he's written. It is Spaghetti Western mixed with sci-fi, mixed with humor, mixed with Jedi's mixed with wizards (not the Gandalf type, but the 'real human' type) and *** kicking. Not to mention, the main character, Roland, the last Gunslinger, makes Richard Rhal and Aragorn look like little weak pimples. My favorite thing about the series is the constant referrences to characters from almost ALL of his books. They all tie into this magnum opus. Remember Father Callahan from Salem's Lot? He's a main character later in the series, but in a different when and where -- So F'ing cool.

As for Dragon Tears, it was a decieving title -- I expected it to be about dragons and wizzards, etc. Nope. It does have some excellent supernatural stuff in it that I would never have expected. I can't really explain it, it was just good. (sorry, I suck at this kind of thing, obviously)

While we're at it, one of the books that I COULD NOT put down for the first 400 pages was, Dream Catcher, by King. After about 400 pages, it turned into one of the worst books I've ever read. I've never been so disappointed in a book that had so much potential. The first half was easily some of his best work, imo.

I've actually never read any Stephen King at all. Not really sure why. I guess I had some vague feeling that since he was so popular with the ignorant masses that his books must be overly simplistic and boring. But, hey, I read Potter, so I have no real room to talk. I should probably read at least one King book just so I can claim cultural literacy. If so many people like him he's obviously doing something right.

For those who haven't heard or haven't been paying attention, George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books are being made into an HBO series, with principal photography beginning just a week from now. At this point, almost all of the actors have been nailed down... with the notable exception or Lord Tywin Lannister. No idea who it will be... my dream scenario would be Ed Harris, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen.

Anyway, he's the official word from HBO:

GAME OF THRONES

HBO Entertainment
Season one will total 10 episodes
Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography on July 26, 2010.

“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff Executive Producer
D.B. Weiss Executive Producer
Carolyn Strauss Co-Executive Producer
Guymon Casady Co-Executive Producer
Vince Gerardis Co-Executive Producer
Ralph Vicinanza Co-Executive Producer
George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer
Mark Huffam Producer
Frank Doelger Producer
Marco Pontecorvo Director of Photography
Alik Sakharov Director of Photography
Gemma Jackson Production Designer
Michele Clapton Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger
Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
Kit Harington as Jon Snow
Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
Richard Madden as Rob Stark
Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)
Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel
Jerome Flynn as Bronn
Conleth Hill as Varys
Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo
Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp
Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
Ciaran Bermingham as Mord
Esme Bianco as Ros
Susan Brown as Septa Mordane
Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen
Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle
Emun Elliott as Marillion
Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn
Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale
Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne
Rhodri Hosking as Mycah
Margaret John as Old Nan
Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell
Dermot Keaney as Gared
Francis Magee as Yoren
Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark
Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan
Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy
Luke McEwan as Rast
Kristian Nairn as Hodor
Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce
Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister
Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel
John Standing as Jon Arryn
Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane
Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen
Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

Eddings sucks. It's like GI Joe where you always see guys parachuting to safety. No one gets killed (especially not any good guys).

Say what you want about Brooks but he has a good style and he's not afraid to off well-developed characters.

Song of Fire and Ice is money.

Currently reading Glenn's Black Company stuff. It's good.

I finished the Fablehaven series today. The last book was beyond poor and the series took a serious nose dive for me. I'm starting The Magickers Chronicles now.

I finished the Fablehaven series today. The last book was beyond poor and the series took a serious nose dive for me. I'm starting The Magickers Chronicles now.

Gosh dammit, will you listen to me? Go to the library, check out The Gunslinger, and prepare to thank me later. (book two is even better, and then three is better, and so on and so on.)

Foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation

I'm seriously debating on whether to start The Wheel of Time. Anyone want to talk me into it or out of it? I have the first book, I just don't know if I want to invest so much time in it.

Foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation foundation

I can't help but imagine something else in place of those dumbbells in your sig.

I know they are a bit juvenile, but I have been pounding through the 5 Fablehaven books lately when I can squeeze in time. They aren't overly thought-provoking, but they are entertaining enough.

4 Wheel of Time. I liked these through about book 5. I read through the middle of book 9, then quit in disgust. He just got way too bogged down. I might eventually pick it back up again and finish the series now that it's done, but that's low priority for me.

This is what most people say about the series. This is also were Robert Jordan was the most sick when battling cancer before he died. The last 2 books he put out during his illness were not good. The end of the series that Brandon Sanderson is writing is supposed to be good. BTW the series isn't finished yet. There well be at least one more book, possible up to 3 more to make 15 total.

Other than the obvious LOTR. The Belgariad has to be may favorite fantasy series.

Eddings sucks. It's like GI Joe where you always see guys parachuting to safety. No one gets killed (especially not any good guys).

Say what you want about Brooks but he has a good style and he's not afraid to off well-developed characters.

Song of Fire and Ice is money.

Currently reading Glenn's Black Company stuff. It's good.
I do like all characters not to be immortal... I remember being pissed when Frodo and Sam survived the volcano at the end, because Tolkien saw fit to send eagles to save them even as they're being surrounded by the lava of an erupting volcano. Bah. But I think you're placing a bit too much importance on killing people off. Few authors on that list actually kill of people with regularity (more like one or at most two big characters, and these are seminal events in the books)... Martin does, but he's the exception rather than the rule. And, Sword of Shannara has Allanon pulling a Gandalf and coming back toward the end from seemingly certain death.

Colton and I discussed Black Company on the old board. He likes it, I can't stand it. The guy's writing style really grates on my nerves. I thought the story was disjointed and the characters were wooden and boring.

However, if you like Black Company, you might try Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. His style is very similar to Cook's (I believe Erikson actually dedicated one of his books to Cook) but his books are on an even more sweeping, epic scale. FWIW, I liked it slightly better than Black Company.

This is what most people say about the series. This is also were Robert Jordan was the most sick when battling cancer before he died. The last 2 books he put out during his illness were not good. The end of the series that Brandon Sanderson is writing is supposed to be good. BTW the series isn't finished yet. There well be at least one more book, possible up to 3 more to make 15 total.

Other than the obvious LOTR. The Belgariad has to be may favorite fantasy series.
When I saw the bit about Wheel of Time not actually being done yet, there was this terrible moment when I thought you were joking. But now I've looked it up, and you're right. Those books *really* need to just lay down and die. I think we're all sick of them by now.

The Belgariad -- and Eddings books in general -- seem to be pretty polarizing. People either love them or think they suck. You and I are in the former group, Conan and a friend of mine to whom I loaned the books thought they were boring and forgettable. I think you really just have to go into them knowing they're light reading, in the same sort of realm as Harry Potter. They're not deep or thought-provoking. But Eddings does have a great ear for dialogue, his characters are fun, and the books are very well-paced. Sure, the story and world mechanics are more than a bit silly, but most fantasy books are, Eddings is just comfortable enough to admit it and play around with said silliness. They're just plain ol' entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I like dark and brutal -- as my liking for Song of Ice and Fire and Hyperion shows -- but there's something to be said for light and silly.

I'm seriously debating on whether to start The Wheel of Time. Anyone want to talk me into it or out of it? I have the first book, I just don't know if I want to invest so much time in it.
They're good books, just be aware that there's a pronounced downward spiral after the first 5 books or so. And as Ben10 pointed out, the series stands at 12 and it's still not done. If you're okay stopping midstream, I'd read them through 5 or so, then move on to something else. If you're a completionist kind of personality and like to finish things you start, then save yourself from the WoT black hole and run far, far away as fast as you can.

But there are better choices, anyway. If you haven't read Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (first three books especially, the fourth is a little disappointing) or Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (followed by the excelllent Liveship and Tawny Man trilogies), those are probably my foremost recommendations.

Last edited: